Easy lift for Genset into back of Cruiser.

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 01:25
ThreadID: 66272 Views:3798 Replies:9 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundWe were having a problem lifting the genset in and out of the back of the cruiser. I put wheels on the genset then made a winch that fits onto the A frame of our van which makes life a lot easier. I also made a short movie clip of Valerie using the winch, but due to my computor skills I have not been successful in shrinking the clip to be able to post it on the net. Now I have some photos and I will give it ago to see if I can upload them. We feel proud of our little contraption and hope that someone else can benefit from it.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John M (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 07:44

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 07:44
Michael
Great simple design.
Do you have any sketches?
and also does Valerie have a sister that can help me load my gear? (only joking)

Regards John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 350926

Follow Up By: troopyman - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 08:06

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 08:06
You can have my wife for a genset .
FollowupID: 619200

Follow Up By: Member - John M (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 08:19

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 08:19
Sorry Troopyman, I already have a beautiful wife and 2 generators, just wanted another beautiful helper to go with the second backup generator.
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 619203

Reply By: Best Off Road - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 10:02

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 10:02
Michael,

You are really onto something there. I would suggest that there is a market for them.

Try a Trader ad in the Accessories section, only about $50 for three months and see what response you get. I can assure the Trader section works and has led me to join up as a business member and further expanding our campaign here.

Cheers,

Jim from _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx.

AnswerID: 350938

Reply By: Member - Bushpig - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 10:18

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 10:18
Enter yourself on The New Inventers ABC

Your onto a winner. Goodluck

Cheers Jack
AnswerID: 350943

Reply By: Tenpounder - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 10:23

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 10:23
Hi there. Good thinking. I have just come out of hospital after a back operation, and so the idea of going easy on the old spine makes some sense. My reason for commenting is that lifting in our case also includes a heavy tool box, water containers and also a 40l Engel with Two Zone on top. When the Engel is full 'upstairs and down', I have to empty it before I can load or unload it. So, once you've made the effort to construct (or buy) a hoist, it may have several uses.
And, please, don't wait until AFTER you've stuffed your back - its a life sentence!
Regards
Chris (SA)
AnswerID: 350945

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 10:29

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 10:29
Chris,

It isn't just a life sentence for you but also your family who have to live with you ;)

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 619221

Follow Up By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 11:40

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 11:40
Sign in orthopaedic surgeon's waiting room;

"If you have got a bad back then you'll be back"

FollowupID: 619241

Reply By: Tenpounder - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 11:06

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 11:06
Yes, Kev & Darlie, but I am almost the perfect silent sufferer. I only complain if I have to sit, or stand, or walk, or lie down. Otherwise, I'm fine.
So yes, seriously, one brief bit of macho 'I can do it', or 'I've just go to do it' can lead to so much.
Sorry to go on, but it so fresh in my mind!
Chris
AnswerID: 350951

Follow Up By: Tenpounder - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 11:09

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 11:09
Sorry - SIR Kev, and its Darkie, not Darlie - I didn't proof read.
Chris
FollowupID: 619231

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 11:18

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 11:18
Chris, I'm sure Kev calls his Cruiser "Darlie" in their quiet moments together in the garage.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 619234

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 11:42

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 11:42
Don't let the WWW know of my secret dealings with Darkie.......Steve hahaha

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 619242

Follow Up By: Tenpounder - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 12:03

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 12:03
OK, Sir Kev, you asked for it.
Here's a story, which may be true:
Sir Kev couldn’t sleep. In the small hours, under the stars, he sat, thinking. To keep himself occupied, he decided to check the winch cable attached to Darkie, just to make sure there were no stray strands, or contaminants. As he coiled up the wire, he gave it an extra, almost sensual, wipe with a cloth. Then Sir Kev checked the snatch strap for damage. He almost caressed the strap as he coiled it.
He continued to check things on the vehicle, a polish here, a shot of DWF there. Then he thought of the plans for the next day: rough country, probably need low air in tyres, even the diff locks – who knows.
So Sir Kev set about checking the air lockers, made sure he had the Straun deflators set to the right pressure. Not much else to do, really.
Sir Kev sat as the first light appeared. As he sipped on a cup of tea, he thought he heard a sound from Darkie, behind him. Was that just a hiss of compressed air from the lockers, or was it, could it be, a lover’s sigh?
Aahhh, Darkie, exclaimed Sir Kev, I knew you cared.
FollowupID: 619245

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 16:58

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 16:58
Well done Michael - it is brilliant. I have heard so many people complain about not being able to lift. Would have other uses than the genny. What is the maxiumum weight it is designed for?

QUICK get out there and patent it before we all steal your design.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 350996

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 17:13

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 17:13
Post it on all the caravan sites.
Better still start making then and sell sell sell.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 350998

Reply By: Kim and Damn Dog - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 19:04

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 19:04
Gidday Michael

If you can adapt the design to lift a spare tyre onto a roof rack, I'll be your first customer.

Regards

Kim
AnswerID: 351020

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 21:09

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 21:09
Hi Kim or should I call you "Great Brown Snake Hunter"

I've toyed around in my head with this design for a while.

Never done anything about building it.

The A Frame will pivot on the black dot in the picture and drop down onto the roof rack in travel mode.

The spare wheel will bolt securely onto the block marked "A"

And the A Frame will settle onto the rack on the support leg marked "E"

When loading and unloading the spare the A Frame will go to where it is shown now, about 45 degrees.

The only bit I've not really put much thought into is some form of gas strut to aid the A Frame's movement to and from the 45 degree position.

My design would require the wheel be bolted to and unbolted from the support block marked "A" before the A Frame is tilted out and after it is tilted back onto the rack.

Geoff

Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

FollowupID: 619341

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 21:16

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 21:16
Of course Kim after I explained the design to you I thought that it'd be better to pivot off the bottom edge of the rack and toss the support "E" away altogether.

Geoff

Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 619345

Follow Up By: Member - Michael C (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 21:42

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 21:42
Hi Geoff,
That is an excellent design. Like you say all you need now is a way to control the A frame onto and off the carrier. Back to the drawing board.
Michael
FollowupID: 619354

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 21:52

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 21:52
Thanks Michael,

As I see it there is a couple of ways I can do the A Frame control, one is a gas strut.

The other is some form of coil spring wound around the pivot axle, sort of like you find on the tail gate of horse floats.

As you say, back to the drawing board!

Geoff

Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 619357

Follow Up By: Kim and Damn Dog - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 22:07

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 22:07
Gidday Geoff

You’re probably not aware of this, but many of the members and respondents on this site are grizzling old fellas beyond their used by date.

Unfortunately the body shrinks, the mind gets vague and the silly old farts think they’re still capable of throwing a 40Kg wheel 2.5m on to a roof rack.

If you can come up with a design to overcome this problem don’t blame me if you become a rich man. LOL

Regards

Kim
FollowupID: 619361

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 22:14

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 22:14
Hi Kim,

At 49 I'm seriously starting to resemble those remarks! (Except for the shrinking bit. In my grandfathers words I'm almost as quick to climb over as walk round these days)

I'm working on the idea, I'm working on it!

Geoff

Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 619364

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 19:25

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 19:25
Michael

It is good to see other inventors around. Good on you!

Cheers
AnswerID: 351024

Sponsored Links