Fridges?

Hi,

We're going to Ningaloo/Winderabandi or thereabouts from Easter for 10 days and had hoped to hire a gas compatible fridge, Engeland is all booked out & so i've 2 questions...
Does anyone know of anywhere else in the Perth area that hires fridges (have tried numerous numbers from the net but all are non-existent/closed down) and also, if we were to get an all electric fridge and generator are we going to annoy too many people? This is our first trip so i've no idea of the noise levels of the little generators, the proximity to other campers or indeed the etiquette involved.
As this is our first foray we don't really want to go to the expense of installing deep cycle batteries or solar systems etc. just yet - at present we just have a Nissan X-Trail with standard battery.

Any help greatly appreciated
Charlie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: leachy_9 - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 15:40

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 15:40
if you are planning to have the generator running all day and night to power the fridge. Then I would suggest yes it is going to annoy people.

Leachy
AnswerID: 350980

Follow Up By: Charlie & Helen - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 15:56

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 15:56
Sorry if these questions seem a bit dim but i've no experience of portable fridges at all - If the generator were used during the day and the insulated transit bag zipped up on the fridge while the generator was turned off overnight then i'm presuming that, like an esky, the contents shouldn't spoil? Would still rather be taking a gas job if I can source one, any suggestions?
Cheers
Charlie
FollowupID: 619281

Reply By: ross - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 16:36

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 16:36
I forget his name but the guy at Prospectors Patch hires out 60 litre Waecos at a fair price,it was about $60 per week 2 years ago
www.prospectorspatch.com.au

To run one of these off the car battery, you would need to be doing a lot touring during the day to keep it charged up, and turn it right down at night to conserve the battery.
It could be iffy

Im not 100% sure but I dont think generators will be too welcome at Ningaloo unless you are in a campsite by yourself.
The good gennys like Honda and Yamaha are reasonably quiet but can still be a problem if other campers want silence.

The Quokka classifieds comes out Thurs. Last week there were a few Chescold 40l 3way gas fridges for sale in the $300-400 price range.
One of these for food and an esky with ice for drinks might do the job if you can get block ice.

AnswerID: 350992

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 17:13

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 17:13
Charlie, I you can't hire what you want - buy second hand, but be quick as they too may be keenly sought. You could then sell it for darn near the same - always a good market.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 350997

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 17:20

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 17:20
As you are going to be stationary at NIngaloo I suggest that you get/hire a chescold or something similar which operates on gas 240v and 12v and use it on gas and you will fnd that if you like a drink top it up befor bed and all will be cold in the morning. Great for food as well for your short stay. Cryovac all meat etc and you will have a good time.
Whilst you are camped have a look at other set ups and you will get an idea of what suits you.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 351000

Follow Up By: Charlie & Helen - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 18:19

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 18:19
Thanks everyone for your help,
Buying is not really possible just at the moment. Another possibility is that I have a friend with a couple of decent marine style eskys (70l + 40l) with access to dry ice - he reckons these will keep stuff good for 5 or 6 days. I'm presuming we'll be able to buy ice if we go out during the latter part of our stay - Coral Bay or Exmouth visits for boat trips or whatever. Anyone reckon this method is viable. We don't mind not having absolutely everything as this is our first trip and budget is important - we'll build our kit as we go. As long as we can keep the drinks cold towards the end then we're happy.
Cheers
Charlie
FollowupID: 619310

Follow Up By: ross - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 21:27

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 21:27
You should be able to do it that way. Im not sure if you will be able to buy dry ice up there if you need it.
Keep food that is affected by moisture in some cheap plastic containers.
FollowupID: 619349

Reply By: Matt(WA) - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 23:43

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 23:43
Charlie,

Where are you located? I have a few 12v fridges in the shed that arent being used. I am sure we could come to some sort of arrangement id you decide to go with 12v. Only have one 3 way, but its not really running to well(read in bits).

I am a fridge mechanic and like tinkering

Matt, Safety Bay

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 351078

Follow Up By: Matt(WA) - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 23:51

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 23:51
Sorry,

Email matthew.brook1@three.com.au

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 619381

Reply By: Best Off Road - Thursday, Feb 26, 2009 at 21:05

Thursday, Feb 26, 2009 at 21:05
If you go the 12 volt option, check how much the fridge _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx.

The current draw, as opposed to the capacity of your battery is the crucial issue.

Cheers,

Jim from _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx.

AnswerID: 351224

Sponsored Links