A Trap for Young Player's

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 22:04
ThreadID: 66297 Views:3581 Replies:5 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Team,

I was putting the hitch receiver tongue into my rear wheel carrier come towbar this afternoon and happened to notice some numbers stamped into the tongue body.

They said SWL 1,650kg.

Interesting, the tongue is rated at 1,650kg but the rating plate on the rear bar is marked to the Troopy's maximum of 3,500kg.

So I'd guess using that tongue the Troopy is rated to tow 1,650kg's.

Interesting if I had an incident whilst towing say 2,000kg and somebody noticed!

Geoff

Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: SCFA (Bundaberg Qld) - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 22:13

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 22:13
Hi Geoff,
as you said, could be a trap for the unsuspecting. Did the tongue come with the bar?

Cheers
AnswerID: 351068

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 22:15

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 22:15
Yep, sure did and from a major Australian manufacturer of combined rear wheel carriers and towbars!!

Geoff

Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 619365

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C. (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 22:24

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 22:24
That being so, then they are guilty of (potentially dangerous) deception, and the matter should be brought to the attention of the relevant regulating authority....

Regards, Ed C

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 619367

Follow Up By: SCFA (Bundaberg Qld) - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 22:33

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 22:33
Just went out and checked mine (Genuine Toyota Bar /Tongue & Ball) and the tongue hasn't got anything other than a part No. so it's not clear what it's rated at.

The ball & bar are both stamped 3500kgs. The WDH I have is also stamped 3500kg.

Makes you wonder?
FollowupID: 619370

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C. (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 23:11

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 23:11
SCFA,
I presume your "Genuine Toyota" (and presumably, the "Genuine Nissan", among others) dealer-fitted bars are in fact, made by Hayman Reese.. (I'm happy to stand corrected here, if this is not the case)...

I've not noticed any stamping in the tongue of any H/R bars I've looked at, but it _should be_ safe to assume that they would carry the same (or better) rating as the t/bar with which they are supplied..
The tongue that came with my ARB (Patrol) 3500kg bar, has 5000 stamped on it...

What Geoff has described is IMO, Not Good Enough!!

Catch ya later... Ed C

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 619378

Follow Up By: age - Thursday, Feb 26, 2009 at 09:22

Thursday, Feb 26, 2009 at 09:22
All

My "genuine" Toyota bar/tongue on 100 series has a plate riveted to it with markings for 1650kg with tongue placed one way and 3500kg for the tongue inverted the other way. Maybe in example above the 1650kg stamp refers to it being placed a certain way as being the lower of capability. My bar has is rated highest with with ball placed on inner flat side of L shape, but I prefer it the other way to get the nose of the boat up a bit when towing.

Cheers

A
FollowupID: 619394

Reply By: Louie the fly (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 22:46

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 22:46
Geoff, SWL generally refers to Static Weight Loading, a weight applied either onto or off of, like a forklift or a crane. I suspect it refers to the weight that can be applied to the tongue in a downward direction, and not the total mass of the vehicle that can be towed. Don't know how this directly applies to a towbar tongue though. SWL ratings are usually found on slings, chain, etc.

Course I could be wrong.

Louie
AnswerID: 351071

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 22:50

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 22:50
Hi Louie,

That's a possibility!

I've also heard SWL defined as Safe Working Load?

Too many acronyms! So little ammunition!

I always maintain the use of acronyms should be punishable by death unless an acronym to English dictionary is also supplied!

Geoff

Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 619374

Follow Up By: Member - Dennis P (Scotland) - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 22:59

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 22:59
SWL means Safe Working Load, sorry Louie, that is what it refers to on slings, chains, fork lifts, even over here, lol.

Cheers,
Dennis

FollowupID: 619376

Follow Up By: RV Powerstream P/L - Thursday, Feb 26, 2009 at 08:10

Thursday, Feb 26, 2009 at 08:10
Hi Geoff
You have a mismatch tongue to bar but may still be structurally sufficient .
The problem is the markings can make someone assume you are illegal.
I have a Land Rover tongue that is marked 3500KG with 250KG download and that is stamped to match the towbar markings.

If you check the physical build of a stamped 3500KG tongue and find it the same just restamp it to the correct loading.

I have been advised by RTA Technical that it is not illegal to do this in NSW if you are satisfied that it complies.
Ian

FollowupID: 619386

Follow Up By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Thursday, Feb 26, 2009 at 08:39

Thursday, Feb 26, 2009 at 08:39
As mentioned above, I understand SWL to be safe working load.
When ever I have done the calcs for a crane it usually includes a duty cycle and all sorts of other things.
Don't know if 'SWL' really clarifies the issue.
Is it the actual load on the item of equipment, the tongue, horizontally or vertically, or a combination?
Maximum AGM of the towed trailer?
Could be a number of things, especially since the tow bar has a different rating on the attached plate.
FollowupID: 619387

Reply By: Member - Axle - Thursday, Feb 26, 2009 at 08:31

Thursday, Feb 26, 2009 at 08:31
Hi Geoff

Sounds a bit sus!. But am starting to think potential problems could be found with a lot of these towbar setups., I was kooking

at the setup the landcruiser has for the safety chain attatchment on the genuine toyo bar. or lack of!!!. might as well have a piece of fencing wire across there.

Cheers Axle.
AnswerID: 351094

Reply By: troopyman - Thursday, Feb 26, 2009 at 11:28

Thursday, Feb 26, 2009 at 11:28
If the tounge is rated at 1650kgs then that is what you can tow . The lowest rating applies always . What does it say on the plate about the tongue . I notice on the toyota plate it says to be only used with tongue part number XXXXXXXXX . My plate is stamped 3500kg braked , 750kg unbraked and the towball weight is 350kgs .
AnswerID: 351123

Reply By: Kiwis Ross & Cushla- Thursday, Feb 26, 2009 at 11:38

Thursday, Feb 26, 2009 at 11:38
Hi Geoff, Join the club,we bought over the net prior to coming to Aust, from NZ a Ford Explorer [Yes,I have heard all the jokes etc] from Centre Ford in Perth,when I negotiated for it one of the things we wanted to know what is the hitch etc on it and what is it rated for......2500kg's came the reply.Came over ,picked it up in January,[and thats a nother story on poor service],on inspection back at the motel,turned out to be a 1600kg tongue,it was stamped on it....back to Centre Ford Perth,to bad,so sad,go away,they were not interested in doing anything,ended up we had to fork out several hundred dollars for the correct hitch system,which we got from Wescott Towbars in Welshpool,who gave us excellent service.We have since driven across from Perth to Wollongong and picked up our van [yes.the Explorer did make it!] and #$$%^^ the H/R shank is too short and have had to get a new one of those at another $260 !!! SO, its been an interesting month,and expensive,should be sorted now,but boy,the rules on towing are just so complicated here in Aust.Hey,loving the caravan life though.
Rosco
AnswerID: 351125

Sponsored Links