Diesel Engine question - might be O/T ?

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 26, 2009 at 17:04
ThreadID: 66317 Views:2364 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I've been a petrol engine driver since I got my licence way back in 1968 !! Never driven a diesel never owned one ... Just sold the Cherokee 4.0 L "Brick" and bought a 2007 Jeep 2.8 Turbo Diesel Cherokee ... So far so good ....

Question 1 - Do all diesels sound like passenger buses ?

Question 2 - are they a little sluggish on take off from standstill ? compared to Petrol engines ?

Car motors beautifully on highway - haven't touched the dirt yet and by the looks of it the previous owner never even used the 4WD lever !! ( Hope it works ) ..

Off to Tassie on Saturday for 2 weeks on the east coast - Yeee haa

Give the Turbo a test up and down hills with and without the POD camper behind - should be a real good test for driver passenger and Jeep ...

Cheers

Mandrake ..
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Thursday, Feb 26, 2009 at 17:20

Thursday, Feb 26, 2009 at 17:20
Well you know the slogan

"They made 250,000 Jeeps but no good ones"

LOL

All diesels except some of the new european ones have a bit of a characteristic "rattle".
They wind up a bit slower but keep on keeping on better with a load on and use less fuel doing it

I would be upset if my passenger bus sounded like a Jeep LOL

Have a friend who has a source of parts in the USA that are much cheaper than here.

Cheers will wait for your call.
AnswerID: 351175

Reply By: Member - Shane D (QLD) - Thursday, Feb 26, 2009 at 17:37

Thursday, Feb 26, 2009 at 17:37
All deisels have inherent "rattles" compared to petrols.
You are experiencing turbo lag from a standing start, common across the board.
should do heaps better on fuel economy, after a few tank fulls and a lot more K's per liter, will forget all about deisels short comings
Shane
AnswerID: 351179

Sponsored Links