Nissan battery terminal

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 26, 2009 at 22:47
ThreadID: 66332 Views:7398 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I have a D40 Navara diesel but it could be a common set up on all modern vehicle battery terminals.

I was re-organising the second battery set up on the weekend and it required the movement of the power cable from main starter battery that connects to the auxiliary battery. The cable end had an Anderson plug on it to connect to battery pack (flyer), this had to be removed to help it through a tight gap. Now I did not even think about disconnecting the cable from starter battery and a spark flew, not thinking much of it.

When the job was done I tried starting the car and nothing. I had dash lights and warning icons as per normal but nothing else. It was then I thought about the spark and inspected the battery terminal to find several fuses there. I have had a few vehicle's but none with fuses on the terminal blocks. I found the main 80A fuse blown, this goes to the starter and a few other things.

These are not any normal fuse but more like a printed circuit board and the fuse is related to the physical size of the material left after stamping. Great idea but i thought what if something went wrong in the bush. You would be stuffed! With no way to fix it apart from doing a dodgy fix to get going.

To replace the 1 fuse you have to replace the whole fuse/circuit board (6-7 fuses) in a block with original Nissan gear. These are no normal off the shelf item at repco. Don't know the cost of the original part but I guess it would be 70-100? So i have put in a maxi 80A fuse to bypass the original that can be replaced if something goes wrong in the future.

Just a thought so you have a heads up when you go bush next time.

Marco

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: beelzebug - Friday, Feb 27, 2009 at 10:51

Friday, Feb 27, 2009 at 10:51
Marco, I have a D40 diesel too. Can you elaborate how you used the maxi 80A to bypass the Nissan version?

What about the other (6-7 fuses)?

Signed
Confused (aka Gary)
AnswerID: 351297

Follow Up By: Member - Marco T (VIC) - Friday, Feb 27, 2009 at 16:15

Friday, Feb 27, 2009 at 16:15
Gary,

If you look at the positive terminal on the battery there is a main fuse under a clear plastic cover marked 80A. I have bypassed this one and the 40A next to it. They are the main fuses and then they feed the remaining fuses to other components.

The other fuses could also be done separately but would take some work in sorting it out. So I have just done the 2 main ones.

On either side of the 80A & 40A fuse there is a bolt to connect accessories. I simply fitted the maxi fuse to the 2 bolts making the circuit. Easy when you see it.

Cheers

Marco
FollowupID: 619631

Follow Up By: beelzebug - Friday, Feb 27, 2009 at 16:49

Friday, Feb 27, 2009 at 16:49
Many thanks Marco
FollowupID: 619634

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Friday, Feb 27, 2009 at 18:50

Friday, Feb 27, 2009 at 18:50
On an old 60series I accidentally burnt a fusible link (comes off pos terminal) when a ratchet handle touched the B terminal on the alternator. Cost over $100 for a new fusible link set. Soon learnt to disconnect the battery neg when working on anything electrical.
AnswerID: 351379

Sponsored Links