Cub Camper Owners Question

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 28, 2009 at 00:33
ThreadID: 66362 Views:3380 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
I have an offroad Cub Camper (Supamatic Regal).

I want to carry an extra wheel or at least a tyre and the two place I have considered.

On the top of the folded down camper
Strapped to the existing spare wheel

My concerns are these place strong enough for doing this if planning to go outback a bit - like Birdsville track and such.

On the top would be a pain as I would have to take it off every time I camped but ....

So just wandering if any other Cub owners have done this?

Richard
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Saturday, Feb 28, 2009 at 07:39

Saturday, Feb 28, 2009 at 07:39
I just ratchet strap a case to the rear of the roofrack, it will squash down to the rack and won't move if you do it right and can stay there permanently. Don't put it at the front as then you have to lift the weight when opening.
AnswerID: 351448

Follow Up By: richard - Saturday, Feb 28, 2009 at 09:49

Saturday, Feb 28, 2009 at 09:49
Peter,
So you reckon those welds are strong enough - I would only do the tyre casing. I was thinking of two tyres (one for car and one for camper)

The car tyres may be a bit big though.

Did you put a tray or something under the tyre to spread the load over the bars?

I had thought of strapping it to the spare but I have a stone guard and there is not enough room.

Many thanks for the reply,

Richard
FollowupID: 619721

Follow Up By: Ozhumvee - Saturday, Feb 28, 2009 at 12:47

Saturday, Feb 28, 2009 at 12:47
Our Off Road Supamatic is a very early one 1988 vintage and only has 14" wheels which run 8 ply LT radials. They have proven to be very durable over 21 years and who knows how many K's, well in excess of 200k I guess all over OZ including most of the deserts and outback tracks except the CSR. With only one flat but obviously more than one set of tyres. So they don't weigh much and do fit within the roofrack which is the deep 250-300mm high job. I don't even use a ratchet strap usually just three big cable ties, nothing between the rack and tyre and they don't rub.
Don't know that I'd put a wheel and tyre combo up there, might strain the friendship.
You are right about Cub's welding, most were redone when new and the chassis/running gear was beefed up at home before the first trip across the GCR and Gunbarrel and nothing has broken since I redid everything initially. Mind you in '88 a base model (empty beds only) Off Road Supamatic with full annexe with detachable walls was $4.5k new ;-))
FollowupID: 619749

Reply By: Member - Vince B (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 28, 2009 at 14:45

Saturday, Feb 28, 2009 at 14:45
Hi Richard.
I had a spare mag& tyre strapped onto the roof of my CUB & the only problem was taking it off each night. After 2 weeks I got used to lifting it LOL.There was no problem with any welds breaking.
Cheers.
Vince
AnswerID: 351506

Follow Up By: richard - Saturday, Feb 28, 2009 at 16:07

Saturday, Feb 28, 2009 at 16:07
Vince,
I reckon I would end up breaking :)

But that is why you take you know who with ya :)

To help of course.

I will try it next time.

Richard
FollowupID: 619767

Sponsored Links