Weber Q

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 01:24
ThreadID: 66385 Views:25335 Replies:10 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi!

I have recently purchased a Weber Q200 and although I LOVE what eventually comes out of it, I have a couple of issues I am pulling my hair out about!

The first one is that I cannot seem to prevent food sticking to the grill plate (yes, it is spotless and I have oiled it etc, and the food - so much in fact I was getting bad flare-ups from it!).

The second is that it billows smoke everywhere - I have it under a pergola and it smokes my guests out! I have followed the cooking instructions TO THE LETTER but it still happens.

It seems that the BBQ is too hot - I am surprised that the book says to BBQ at full heat, but that is what I do. If any of the food is over the burner at all, I get a flare up!

All I have read on these are glowing reports, never any flare ups etc.. and I am annoyed that I am not 100% happy with it as everyone else seems to be - what on earth am I doing wrong or do they need 'run-in' as it does seem to be getting a little better?

Appreciate any suggestions from folks...

Best regards

Aussie Al
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: timglobal - Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 05:12

Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 05:12
Hey Al,

I have a Q and also love it.

Always be sure to let it warm up (lid down) for 5 mins at least when first cooking.

Food sticking to the grill plate isn't ready to be turned yet. It may seem counter-intuitive, but the process of caramelisation in the meat will make it easy to turn when ready. Keep the heat up for steaks and similar as the steak absorbs plenty of heat. Barbecues are smoky and oily and food can appear ready to turn when it isn't. If it sticks, then leave it a bit longer. It'll give you those black stripes you pay so much for in a restaurant!

Don't over-oil the bbq. It will need a seasoning after liquid cleaning (annual) and occasinal light olive oil spray between uses, but nothing more.

Smoke is an inevitability of bbq cooking and will depend on what you're cooking. The only things which smoke a lot on mine are snags. The more fat (usually coarser pork varieties) and larger, the smokier. On the first blast, the appearance of smoke also shows when they're ready to turn.

I'm guessing here, but I reckon you've got some lovely sausages that you're pricking and putting on the bbq. If they're pricked as I reckon, they create a fat sprinkler system under the grill which no bbq can avoid lighting.

Even if you don't prick them, they'll squirt, but less so in my experience. (Modern sausage skins don't require pricking and in moderately controlled tastings I've found pricked to be drier and hence less tasty)

*Keep the lid down* and don't be tempted to look under, except when turning food at planned intervals - ie 5 mins. Constant fiddling loses the heat under the lid that is cooking everything so beautifully. Over-turning buggers up your cooking and can lead food to sticking and becoming messy because it isn't getting cooked.

Finally, leave all cooked meat from a bbq for at least 5 mins to "rest" and allow the moisture to stabilise itself in the meat before cutting or serving. This means the difference between a watery mess and a firm cutting piece of tender meat.

Hope that helps and your next bbq is a ripper.

Cheers,

Tim

ps - a roast works a treat under a Weber Q!
AnswerID: 351590

Follow Up By: timglobal - Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 05:27

Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 05:27
Hey Al,

Just thought - unlike steaks, for snags, I use a low heat same. I also use this for foil-wrapped sweetcorn, etc. So these all get cooked together. 20 mins overall, so 10 min turn intervals.

Cheers,

Tim
FollowupID: 619835

Follow Up By: Aussie_Al - Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 10:30

Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 10:30
Thanks Timglobal! You know a little while after I posted this I was thinking that I may have been too quick to try and turn the meat - what has happened in the past is I have put a chicken breast on there and immediately it has looked like it's sticking (which it was) and I've tried to scrape it off to turn it making a huge mess and I then came to the realisation that if I just leave it it might do as you say and be able to turn no problem after a few minutes.

I always leave it on for the 10 minutes prior to cooking as the book says but next time I won't be too hasty in turning.

Thanks for your input..

Regards

Aussie Al
FollowupID: 619849

Follow Up By: Aussie_Al - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 22:40

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 22:40
Timglobal

I have managed to try leaving the meat on for a while without moving it and that has done the trick!! I am now 100% satisfied with the Q, in fact I love it even more now!! I have just bought a Baby Q for camping - thanks for the tips!!

A
FollowupID: 625241

Follow Up By: timglobal - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 23:30

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 23:30
Hey Al,

Pleased to help and happy you're getting the full wax from your Weber. Many enjoyable meals will come from it! The smell of bbqing food wafting from the side vents is great.

All the beautiful meat aside, I can't say enough how nice foil-wrapped corn comes out. If you discover any other nice cooking tips, then do share!

Cheers,

T
FollowupID: 625249

Reply By: Stu-k - Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 08:17

Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 08:17
Sounds to me your over oiling trying to avoid your sticking problem.
I use spray oil on mine and have no sticking problems or smoke.
Just pre heat to 450f( about 10 mins) and only open to turn.

Great thing the Q mine gets a daily work out
AnswerID: 351600

Reply By: cackles - Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 09:14

Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 09:14
We have a Q and I think we are all in agreement that they're an awesome unit.
When we bought ours we also bought a stone to clean it.
About the size of a bar of soap and looking like pumice stone it wears down to the profile of the grill, cleaning the top and sides of each bar.
Two passes seems enough to clean the grill, quick and easy.
Got ours at BBQ's Galore.
Can't help with the smoke as it's never really been an issue for me.

Cackles
AnswerID: 351605

Reply By: Holden4th - Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 09:53

Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 09:53
I've had the BabyQ (100) for over two years now and do the majority of my cooking on it - everything from BBQ to the good old roast.

I bought a trivet for mine

which instantly solved the first problem you mentioned.

I never BBQ at full heat because the book I've got says not to. It asks you to preheat on full for 10 minutes then turn it down (this is for the 100 only). I'd suggest that you do turn it down at least a quarter turn for BBQing as it will give you a better result anyway. This should get rid of the smoke. My 100 will smoke if I leave it on high.

I use the trivet for both roasting and BBQing and it's probably the best accessory you can get for your Weber.

I started off with a charcoal Weber which got me into the idea of cooking meat slowly to get the best results. I apply this principle to the Q. You can always finish it off on high at the end.
AnswerID: 351617

Follow Up By: Aussie_Al - Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 10:34

Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 10:34
Thanks Holden4th,

I also have the trivet and did an easy carve of lamb on it injected with mint sauce from a marinade injector (these are excellent!!!) and the lamb was quite unbelievable.

I have actually splashed out and got a Baby Q for camping as well now as the taste is so good and yes I see for the Baby Q that you don't BBQ on high as you do with the 200 so if the other suggestions don't work I may try turning mine down a fraction to see the result.

Thanks again.

AA
FollowupID: 619850

Reply By: Member - Lionel A (WA) - Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 10:13

Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 10:13
Just out of interest, what did you guys pay for your Q.

Was at our local hardware last week having a look at one [not sure of the size] when I spotted the price tag....$362.00.

Put the top down and smartly walked away.

Cheers.....Lionel.
AnswerID: 351620

Follow Up By: Aussie_Al - Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 10:36

Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 10:36
I saw the Baby Qs online at Barbecues Galore for $325 but I actually used Westpac Altitude Rewards ppoints for mine - around 50,000 points so really it was kind of free! I paid around $700 for the 200 including the stand, expensive I know, but the food tastes sooo much better!

AA
FollowupID: 619851

Reply By:- Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 11:11

Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 11:11
Hi Al
everyone has covered everything, just with the cleaning- after cooking leave it on and then come back with a dish of water and a bbq brush, making sure the marinades and or juices are charred and then dip bbq brush in water and rub the grill this will clean it very easily keep dipping brush in the water as the water is doing most of the work, watch out for the steam and flaming if using a short handled brush.
If u use it often i would not bother to oil the grill unless you leave it out in the rain, we have not had ours go rusty.
As everyone has said the smoking is part of how they cook instead of the meat laying in the fat and then running down into a tin under neath the flat sheet the fat is dipping off the meat and some is being burnt and it is this that is giving part of the flavours that u are enjoying.

Mattie
AnswerID: 351632

Reply By: hazo - Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 12:46

Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 12:46
HI
We have the babyQ for the caravan, and the 200 for home use. We love ours and use one or the other most days.
As said above you need to leave the food alone for a little longer before trying to turn.
I have a friend who loves to toss and turn his food all the time and the lid spends more time open than closed! and he cannot understand why his results are not that good. He has actually just sold his 200 and gone back to a flat plate type bbq! as he cannot be told, and blames the unit!
Aother tip I got from the Weber rep at a local store demo, was when finished cooking, close the lid and turn up high for 10 mins, then turn off and leave to cool without opening the lid.
When cold use the Weber brass brussh to gently remove the carbonization easily, then a light spray with any cooking oil.

Brian
AnswerID: 351644

Reply By: Aussie_Al - Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 13:14

Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 13:14
Thanks everyone, I am sure with all these tips that I won't have any more problems.

Thanks again, appreciated.

AA
AnswerID: 351649

Reply By: SPRINT-GTO - Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 13:22

Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 13:22
Can definitely reccomend the Olive oil spray on the BBQ plate.
With our Baby Q I generally let plate get hot then just prior to putting food on give plate a quick spray with the Olive oil.
Food doesnt stick.
However be careful you dont spray onto the actual gas flame as I did and frightened myself and thought I had hold of a Flamethrower!!! I Still do it but now very carefully!!
AnswerID: 351651

Reply By: Dunco (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 15:40

Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 15:40
Don't know if it was said before...

After heating up my BBQ, I put the meat on and then LIFT it again in a few seconds. This helps the meat not to stick and I never cook on high.

AnswerID: 351671

Sponsored Links