Kayak Loader/Carrier

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 08:38
ThreadID: 66388 Views:6656 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We have a Toyota 200 series with Toyota (read Rhino) heavy duty bars. We carry our Hobie Kayak which weighs 27kg on these racks.
I have had a shoulder reconstruction and the height of the 200 is such that run out of strength at the crucial point in loading and my wife can't hold it. (the Kayak). Dropped the bloody thing last week and put a hole in it...the kayak I mean.
Does anybody know of a roller loader system for a Kayak. The 'Tinny Loader' system is a bit over the top. I saw a Thule system called, I think, a 'hydraglide' costing about $465 from memory. Any others or suggestions....other than leaving the Kayak at home...!!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ants_oz - Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 08:58

Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 08:58
Hey mate,

There is a Thule system called "Hullavator" which although appears excellent, I have heard many mixed reviews from people in the roof rack trade (in two states, ACT and TAS). Looks like an AWESOME system though, and I seriously considered it for my sea kayak.

Thule make an "outrigger" which you should lookup. (Google "thule outrigger").

The outrigger system means you only have to lift half the weight at any time, and you don't have the "reach" over the roof of the car to place your boat on the racks, which none of us who paddle truly enjoy :-)

Anyway, I know you don't have Thule racks - but there is another solution. I don't know who makes it, and I don't know what it's called - but it's an Aussie version of the Thule outrigger, and it's designed to be used with any brand of roof rack.

If you are interested in one, give Ian a call at Roof Rack City in Belconnen ACT. I know they have them in stock. They might be able to tell you the brand etc, and either you will be able to get one locally, or Ian will be able to do one mail-order for you.

I hope the info helps you out. It's tough being off the water when you enjoy paddling so much. I am suffering a recurring shoulder injury (though likely nowhere near as serious as yours which required a reconstruction) and can't get out on the water as much as I would like.
AnswerID: 351603

Reply By: Member - Graeme W (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 09:41

Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 09:41
Hi Don,

I've got the Rhino Racks "Rear Loading Kayak carrier".

The rear holders are smooth, so you can lift the front of the kayak in and then you can slide it forward.

It's much easier than trying to lift the whole kayak across at once.

The Thule Hullavator looks good, but at over $600 at bit expensive for me.

Graeme

Lake Eyre 2011

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 351611

Reply By: Hunjy - Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 17:40

Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 17:40
Don
On my 100 series I have rhino racks and I just bought a 1 metre piece of U channel aluminium from bunnings thats fits into the ends of the racks reasonably snuggly, I just slide it in about 200mm and then lift the front of the kayak onto the channel then go around the back of the kayak and lift the rear up and onto the rhino racks, then slide the front over and tie it down.
Cost about $10
Mal
AnswerID: 351708

Follow Up By: tone33 - Monday, Mar 02, 2009 at 16:29

Monday, Mar 02, 2009 at 16:29
Brilliant!

Can you please post a photo? You say it fits snuggly, how does it grip the bar when the weight of the front of the kayak is on it?
ta
Tony
FollowupID: 620051

Follow Up By: Hunjy - Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 20:40

Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 20:40
Tony
Haven't got any photos, sorry.
Reasonably snuggly means thats its about 2-3mm smaller in height and width of the inside dimensions of the rack (which was a fluke with the sizing at bunnings). I just push the "U" channel inside the front rack about 200mm and it holds there eazily through friction and doesn't move when in operation.
I wrapped the protruding 800mm in duct tape to prevent scratches on the yak and works really well.
I am also thinking about getting one for the back rack as well for the simple reason of when I lift the yak up on the channel I can keep it in line with my body which is easier to lift over your head and sit it on the back channel without having to reach over the roof of the truck.
the channel will support my yak easy (25+kilos).

Hope this helps.
Mal
FollowupID: 620241

Reply By: Member - Don M (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 22:31

Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 22:31
Guys,

Thanks for your helpful responses.

The 'hullivator' according to the website can't be used with Rhino apparently. The 'hydraglide' can.

I did try the Rhino easy glide but still have to lift the front over that stupid wing on the back of the 200. I like the sound of the outrigger in both commercial and "Bunnings" options and may try the latter first.

Again, thanks for your help.
AnswerID: 351788

Sponsored Links