79 series under-tray watertank

Hello all, has anyone fitted an "under the tray" water tank to a 79series cruiser? I am thinking of purchasing an 80ltr or larger water tank and am curious as to how these tanks are suspended. Is there a kit that is made specifically for individual models, or is there a generic kit that adapts to all tray backs? Also where would I start looking for such a kit?

Thanking in advance: Phil
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 08:47

Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 08:47
This crowd sell plastic water tanks.

Dynaplas

I fitted the 38 litre tank to my Trayback.

Image Could Not Be Found

It use stainless steel straps. Not sure about the bigger tanks. The website will reveal all.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 351969

Reply By: TrevorDavid- Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 10:03

Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 10:03
Phil, I have a home made stainless tank ( 60 Lts ) fitted where the muffler was, its bolted to the tray mounts with a couple of support straps under the middle of the tank as well.

Regards TDB
dontyajustluvit

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 351983

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 11:43

Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 11:43
Phil,
I have two 70litre undertray tanks that are suspended in the middle between the rails. They are made by Goughs Plastics - very thick plastic (no covers required) - Dimensions are about 110mm high (so no tray lift required) 1100long and about 750 wide. They have 3 outlets and are supplied with a hose kit. They don't come cheap - I paid $565 each at opposite Lock. The plastic tanks have no taste, which is great, but they the hoses that are supplied do, so all my hoses were changed to 1/2 inch Nylex water hose. They are attached to the underside of the tray by two pieces of angle iron, with 4 captured nuts in the tank. You then bolt the angle to the underside of the tray. It can be a fiddle to get holes drilled and fitted. Water simply runs to a tap - no pumps.
http://www.gough.com.au/tuffagear.htm

Opposite Lock also had a cheaper undertray tank by Boab. Similar dimensions and capacity, but no captured nuts, you you had to attach it to the chassis rails of the vehicle, and they sold a separate kit for this.

I'd still go with the Goughs again, despite the price.
AnswerID: 351993

Reply By: offroad Bob - Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 16:00

Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 16:00
Hi PF11

I have a under tray water tank I fitted myself.

ROTO MILLARD WATER TANK
70 litre (14 gallon) capacity.
860mm x 525mm x 165mm.

http://www.camec.com.au/35-Plumbing%20Frame.htm

I have the same ute as 'Gone Bush' with a steel tray and tyre under the tray at the rear. I found by taking the tyre out and gently flattening the metal plates stopping the tyre going forwards I could slide this water tank all the way to the middle of the tray. I then re-straightened the tyre retainers. To secure it in place I bent up some heavy duty 3mm galv strips of about 40mm to hang from the ribs under the tray. I added some felt padding to stop wear.

From there I have a small water pump attached and an ordinary garden tap at the rear of the vehicle with the switch next to it.

The filler is a garden hose fitting with a built in tap - I can just click on the normal gardena fitting.

Since then been on a few rough track trips like Steep Point, Bluff Creek, Broke inlet.

Bob

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 352008

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 17:15

Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 17:15
pf11
If you go to the link for my 4x4 webpage and scroll down until you see the tanks you will get a direct link to the tanks, Not sure if the blue 80ltr would fit but you will finde measurements there, Its the same as that Gone Bush directed you too but as I said direct.

SEEK WATER TANK

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 352023

Reply By: Member - Murray R (VIC) - Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 21:22

Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 21:22
phil
I have a tray ute and I made my own water tank out of 4 lengths of 90 mm x1.5 mt pvc down pipe. I joined the lengths of pipe by using "t" peices and end caps with a tap on each corner. It is held up using down pipe saddles and has a capacity 60 lts. Works well and cheap to make.

regards Murray
Another Mexican

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 352068

Reply By: Member - Robert M (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 21:35

Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 21:35
Giday Phil, I have a 79 series ant put a Camel water tank under the tray centre over and slightly forward of the diff. These tanks are what Camel campers have made and use on their trailers. I have put an under tray locker front left and mounted a Jabsco Parmax 1 pump inside,(got the idea from someone on this sight who mounted their compressor in said box) have plumbed it up and just have to finish the wiring, (its a auto pressure pump). Will take some pic's tomorrow and put on my profile.
Cheers
Rob Mac
AnswerID: 352071

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 22:43

Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 22:43
I have an 85 L stainless steel water tank fitted underneath....as per previous posts it is quite straight forward

Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 352091

Sponsored Links