WA boarder check

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 20:38
ThreadID: 6648 Views:3349 Replies:8 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
From memory, about 20 years ago, there was a boarder check on the WA/SA Border. If I am right it was only a few kms before Eucla when heading west. As I am intending to head north from Eucla I would prefer to save my vegies which I will purchase in Ceduna after coming down Goog's track. I notice on my map that there is a "scenic" track, closer to the coast, starting about 22kms east of Eucla and finishing about 3 or 4 kms before Eucla . Will I "regretfully" miss the check point on the Eyre Hwy and save the vegies in the process or perhaps does the said track converge with the Hwy and the check point itself???
If anyone has an idea of how far the check point is from Eucla then I can work the rest out from there. Many thanks in anticipation.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Alpaca (SA) - Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 20:53

Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 20:53
Leigh, check the posts last week, there was a link to a quarantine site that might help you. Another alternative is to "process" your vegies etc so that they comply with the regulations. When we were in the Kimberlies several years ago, there was a roving type inspector who would camp out in isolated locations checking out peoples vehicles. We live in a fruit fly risk area and one of our (community) concerns is that travellers smuggle fruit and vegies through the road blocks and put at risk the livelihoods of all the local primary producers. Give some more thought to your idea of bi-passing the quarantine inspection points.Alpaca
AnswerID: 28235

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 21:19

Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 21:19
I want to try and infect Western Australia with fruit fly......What is the best way for me to do this?.........

That is how i read your post Leigh................_____________________________________________

Reply By: Williewags- Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 21:44

Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 21:44
It really is so simple.........

Check the quarantine regulations for entry into WA and don't carry the fruit or the vegies, or boxes or jams etc which are prohibited.

Why try and deliberately smuggle possible infected fruit or vegies into a state and jeopardise the horticultural industry.

These controls are for our own good and not some fetish of State Governments.

Surely you can do without those few meagre restricted items for a few days?

Cheers,
Willie
Gunbarrel Highway.

Always going somewhere
AnswerID: 28246

Follow Up By: Member - Leigh- Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 21:52

Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 21:52
Thanks. Firstly I appreciate the comments. Secondly I will not be transporting fresh fruit...only canned fruit. Thirdly I will be travelling due north and nowhere near agriculture/viticulture production and finally I will take earlier suggestion to process vegies. Thanks for your contributions.
FollowupID: 19545

Reply By: bruce.h (WA) - Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 11:12

Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 11:12
Leigh
the quarrentine staion is there not only to stop you bringing in fruit & veg but to stop you bring in seeds attached to your car, there are a great many plants & weeds that are capable of crippiling both our wheat & sheep industries,so do the right thing & even if it is out of your way, dont avoid the check point but bloody well go out of your way to go to it & get the all clear,ask your self do you realy want to be responsable for the destruction of an entire industry.
Regards Bruce
AnswerID: 28273

Follow Up By: Member - Leigh- Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 12:02

Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 12:02
Thanks Bruce, point well taken. My travel into WA is basically up along the WA/SA border to NT and my view was that this presented no problem other than bureaucratic meddling. I now stand before you fully corrected, converted and somewhat wiser!

Cheers
FollowupID: 19577

Follow Up By: Williewags- Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 17:16

Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 17:16
Leigh....your trip up the WA/SA border sounds great. You should have explained that before we jumped down your neck:-) Is there a track or are you going over the spinifex. How on earth did you organise permits for such a trip as in the past such things were rare. Also it looks like a long way between fuel outlets. Regarding the Quarantine Sation and requirements go to www.vks737.on.net/pdfs/quarantine/pdf where it is all self explanatory.
Cheers,
Willie
Gunbarrel Highway.

Always going somewhere
FollowupID: 19607

Reply By: Outnabout David (SA) - Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 11:31

Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 11:31
Leigh,
enough said about the quarantine thing but you should also reconsider the way you are going to do Goog's track.
They are trying to make it one way for safety and travel should be from South to North.We have so little time to enjoy our land
AnswerID: 28277

Reply By: Member - David - Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 04:30

Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 04:30
Hi all
Heres something for everyone to ponder.......back in January this year My wifes sister and husband and my wife and myself , both travelled acroos the nully in our 4wds both towing camper trailers , Well we stopped at a place called Koonalda homstead for a few days , and after having a good look around our vehicles became very covered in mud, (must of had a fair amount of rain there)..anyway after leaving koonalda we proceeded across the nully , we reached the fruit fly inspection point , and as usual done the norm and declared what fruit and whatever else we were supposed to, (didnt have much as we had been here several times b4) anyway after going thru our vehicles the fella asked us if we could drive about a hundred yards up the road to the wash bay , well he brings up a pressure washer and asks us if we could wash all mud of our cars and campers .....no probs , only the pressure washer wouldnt work , so i said ok we can just wash them with the hose witout the pressure washer , to wich he said "No dont worry about it , just drive on"...we kinda figured what was the point in making us declare any veg and friut whatever , and then he says that ......so much for caring about infecting W.A...........cheers Dave
AnswerID: 28390

Reply By: spotgj - Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 15:55

Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 15:55
Leigh, If your going up the borders of WA/SA keep your eyes peeled for a 1991 White Ford Stn Waggon with wa rego 80L 948 my son was last seen at Cockabiddy WA, he is within a 1,200 klm radius of Cockabiddy WA .

If you watch the forum I will post the police notice from 25th June 2003

Cheers David G Jones
AnswerID: 28444

Follow Up By: Member - Leigh- Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 19:31

Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 19:31
Hi David. I have printed out the flyer and will keep it in the glove box just in case I need it for reference. I head off tomorrow (about 1100kms to do) and will be back in 3Wks. It is a dreadfull situation you are in and, as a father also, I sincerely wish you and your son a safe and speedy reunion.
Best wishes
Leigh
FollowupID: 20015

Reply By: spotgj - Saturday, Aug 23, 2003 at 15:30

Saturday, Aug 23, 2003 at 15:30
Leigh, If your going through Baladonia roadhouse make yourself known to the area mananger of BP who was so supportive and gave me a couple of nights in the motel, another guy caslled Max knows a bit about the dirt tracks/caves.
Call into Cockabiddy and see what they know about the country.
Have a good trip..by the way VKS 737 did a sked Fri/Sat I think..catch you later David
AnswerID: 28827

Sponsored Links