Tents

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 22:51
ThreadID: 6650 Views:3184 Replies:10 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
I'm looking for a tent which is easy to put up, resistant to wind and 100%waterproof. I've looked in the ads on this site and there are 5 for sale ads and 2 of them are Oz tents. The Oz tent was on my list of possibles but is it an indication of unhappy customers if so many are for sale?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: dougie - Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 23:29

Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 23:29
G'day Bob.
Had a close up look at an Oz tent when looking for a decent tent 18 months ago. I wasn't really impressed by the quality. Ended up with a southern Cross tent. Easy to put up and as been very stable & comfortable in strong winds and rain. Do an archive search, there are plenty of threads.
Cheers
Dougie
AnswerID: 28257

Reply By: Tony - Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 08:03

Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 08:03
Freedom Tents in the Family Tourer are about the best tent I have ever used. That little bit of extra room means you are not touching wet walls while getting dressed.

It takes no more than 2-3 min to put up and even room to hang up some clothes if the need arises, plenty of air flow for the hot nights and is storm proof.
AnswerID: 28263

Reply By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 08:51

Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 08:51
Bob

The OzTent is a magnificent piece of kit. I've had one now for over 3 years and found it to be most functional regardless of weather condition. It has withstood camping in extremes from -6.5 degrees to +43 degrees, in snow and in high winds and heavy rain, from the Victorian High Country, to Cape York to Back of Bourke and points beyond. The one drawback is that they have to be put on roof bars or rack and the folded length is more than 2 metres. If you have bars or a rack this is not a problem as the tent is only 16kg. You might gather from this that I am extremely happy with my Discovery OzTent - oh and by the way it really does take only 30 seconds to erect and another 2 minutes to peg down.
AnswerID: 28265

Reply By: Matt - Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 11:59

Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 11:59
I have owned a tent similar to the southern cross tents for a year, brought it second hand... Awesome tent, easy to put up, one pole and four pegs and your done. Only drawback is the size of the tent when packed. It's a little better than a 2 meter long Oz tent, which looks good, but trouble is I have a Land Rover Disco and putting roof racks on is a pain in the ass.... The tent packs into a square bag and i just put it behind the drivers seat (No kids).

However I am looking at getting a camper trailer now, want something a bit quicker to setup and also bigger, i.e don't want to be inflacting a lilo for the rest of my life... Still going to keep the touring tent though, never know.

Matt.
AnswerID: 28281

Reply By: Member - Paul H - Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 16:12

Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 16:12
Can't go past Southern Cross for quality, ease of erection & after sales backup.off to googs track & gawler ranges................Sept hol's.
AnswerID: 28306

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 16:36

Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 16:36
What is your budget

Canvas will set you back $1000+ Single pole tents are almost unbeatable.
AnswerID: 28308

Reply By: mark - Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 18:52

Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 18:52
If you want a tent that will still be as good as new in 10 years go the southern cross.

AnswerID: 28336

Reply By: Bob - Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 20:14

Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 20:14
Thanks everyone for the advice. Looked at the Oz tent and centrepoles today. Price is not part of the picture by the way Truckster - just what I said - easy to put up and resistant to wind and rain. At the moment the canvas centre poles are looking the goods. I grinned at the Oz tent reply that said 30 seconds to put up and 2 minutes to peg down. Surely that's a 2min 30 second tent and not a 30 second tent?? I think the centre poles might be quicker than the oz tent and they certainly pack smaller and look MUCh stronger.
I'll go and have a look at Southern Cross tomorrow - thanks again everyone.
AnswerID: 28347

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 21:39

Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 21:39
After seeing Luke put up his Southen Cross, he was sitting down having coffee, and a piece of wife, while we was still putting the tent part up, hadnt got to the fly, or the chairs, or the food, or... He was finished.

When I get $1400, Im gettin a southern cross too :(
FollowupID: 19644

Follow Up By: Fred - Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 22:34

Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 22:34
Truckster, Southern Cross have a bus tent - 270X270 centre pole tent same canvas as the rest of their range and it's about $600. Has a full length rear window too. Good value I think and maybe you could afford that. Sounds like you have a dome. You'll find that very few 4wders use dome tents as they're just not up to the performance levels required when you are doing off road work. Most go for some sort of strong canvas tent which is quick to put up and will withstand the elements. Also when you're doing serious off road touring day after day you really don't need to be fiddling around with flimsy little poles and flapping flies. The tent I've described is an "entry level" tent so it's probably a good point for you to start. Good luck and if you get one you won't be disappointed.
FollowupID: 19650

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 22:43

Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 22:43
Fred.

Seeing how Luke and his missus were setup in their Ultimate Trekker, thats what I want.

Ultimate Trekker

Ultimate Trekker
Size: 13' x10' (4m x 3m)
Bag Size: 900mm x 900mm x 0.15m
Weight: 28kg
Frame Height: 7'6" (2.26m)
Sleeps 4-6 people

[ View Image]
FollowupID: 19652

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 22:44

Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 22:44
and we have been campin for 8yrs, it aint a 'newby' tent, its been all over NSW, and Lots o Vic, just had better days..
FollowupID: 19653

Follow Up By: Fred - Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 16:56

Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 16:56
Sorry Truckster I just assumed that you were a "newby" as you sounded like a real beginner not being able to find the fly, the food or the chairs. I guess 8 years isn't all that long but most people are pretty organised after a couple of camping trips. There are lots of tips on this site which you should check out - it's not much fun camping if you spend most of the time muddling around trying to find things.
Some useful tips that work for me:
I always put the tent in last and I carry the pegs and hammer under my seat - by doing that I have the tent up within 2 minutes of stopping. I always put things in exactly the same place each time and have specific containers for food, utensils etc. A drawer system makes access to frequently used items very convenient. I also always make sure that recovery gear is easily accessed. Good luck with your camping Truckster and I hope I've been able to help you a bit - I've been camping now for over 30 years by the way so I guess I've had time to get organised.
FollowupID: 19717

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 17:33

Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 17:33
You missed the point...

I'll say it slowly.

His was quick, (southern cross)
mine is slow (Dome)
FollowupID: 19720

Follow Up By: Fred - Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 20:15

Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 20:15
No Truckster I do understand that you couldn't manage all the bits and fiddle of a dome - you couldn't find the fly, the food, the chairs while your organised mate was all set up. Just by the way, domes aren't that bad - some of my best friends use them and they seem quite quick. Stick with it Truckster, you'll get the hang of it eventually!
FollowupID: 19731

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 21:29

Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 21:29
Welcome back ozi...

TROLL and I got caught.
FollowupID: 19739

Reply By: Zita - Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 11:12

Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 11:12
Hi Bob, a couple of years ago we went of the search for a touring tent. We finally purchased a Southern Cross tourer. It is wonderful quality and easy to put up.It fits very neatly in our troopy on top of our storage system. We also looked at the Freedom tourers which are equally as good. It was just a matter of which we could buy secondhand. Happy Travels Lis
AnswerID: 28405

Follow Up By: Bob - Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 16:59

Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 16:59
Thanks Lis. I saw the Southern Cross tents today and agree. Checked out Freedom too and they look good too but that sprung pole might drive me mad in strong winds!! Thanks again.
FollowupID: 19719

Reply By: Member - Richard- Wednesday, Aug 20, 2003 at 22:03

Wednesday, Aug 20, 2003 at 22:03
We have an Oz Tent and whilst it works OK it is too big to carry. It is well made and ours is a hand me down from my father in law and was one of the first ones made and has had a lot of use. They have not changed the mechanics on them since they started. We have decided it is too much of a hassle to carry and like you are in th market for a new tent. Have a look at the Tanami Tourer at campingdirect.com.au. Single pole tent but is much bigger at head hieght than the Southern Cross. They have two prices. $1095 for an Australian made model and $795 for a OS model. We still have not made up our mind but at present the Tanimi tourer looks the go.Richard and Leonie, The grey nomads.
AnswerID: 28572

Follow Up By: Bob - Thursday, Aug 21, 2003 at 21:35

Thursday, Aug 21, 2003 at 21:35
Sounds interesting Richard and Leonie. Just wondering if they are the same construction as other centre pole tents because the size at head height determines the packed size. Most seem to have a 1 metre square frame built in and the tent therefore folds to just over a metre square. larger frame would mean a larger packed size I think.
Thanks for your help and I'll check them out too.
FollowupID: 19917

Follow Up By: Mick - Thursday, Aug 21, 2003 at 21:40

Thursday, Aug 21, 2003 at 21:40
Just checked the web site and I don't think it's a single pole tent - they mention poles and it looks like it would have other frame work inside. Just check it in the flesh if you can and see what it involves because a centre pole tent literally uses just one pole and pegs around the base.
FollowupID: 19920

Follow Up By: Member - Richard- Thursday, Aug 21, 2003 at 23:18

Thursday, Aug 21, 2003 at 23:18
Hard isn't it. So many decisions to make.
The Tanami tent is a single pole tent sam as the others. After the pole has been pushed up and the main body of the tent lifted there are four arms that open out to support the larger roof section. The Oz made version weighs in at 20 kg. (same as Southern cross). It packs up to a 35cm x 35cm x 80 cm bag plus 10 x 10 x 150 for the pole and pegs. It has a larger awning than the Freedom and COI. The Southern Cross does not have an awning fixed to it however has a hugh awning available for it that I like if you were staying in one place for a few days. It zips onto the front of the tent as an extra. The Southern cross also has an optional extra of two poles that lie against the side and free up the middle of the tent. This need two people to erect on the inside.
I have seen the Southern Cross a number of times and like it but also like the Tanami head room better. I have not seen a Tanami or spoken to anyone who has one. If I had I am sure I would have made my mind up by now.Richard and Leonie, The grey nomads.
FollowupID: 19932

Follow Up By: Mick - Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 23:47

Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 23:47
That packed size sounds good. Checked out the side pole kit for the Southern cross - easy for one to do - put centre pole in, assemble side poles and top inside tent and beside the centre pole replace centre pole with side poles. Think I'd probably just use the centre pole. Only thing about the Tanami is I've never seen one in all my 4wding! lots of Southern Cross and Freedom - maybe that says something as word soon gets around about good and bad products. Very rarely see the Oz Tent also - in fact the only one I have seen had a huge tarp right over it - always a sign of a tent that's not "up to it" by itself! Good luck in your decisions!!
FollowupID: 20045

Sponsored Links