Giles (weather station) and the Gunbarrel Construction Co. Grader

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 21:36
ThreadID: 66546 Views:3361 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Just scanning a few of my old photos from a trip across the Gunbarrel in 1985 and it amazed me just how much has changed out there in nearly 25 years. There was no Great Central Road, Docker and Warburton had almost no infrastructure and Giles was stuck out there in the middle of nowhere (Warakurna didn't exist). The Gunbarrel actually ran through it. Road signs were hand painted on old car bonnets and the roads were both better and worse than they are today (if that makes sense!). Main sort of roads were worse and the remote tracks like the Gunbarrel were in better condition due to the limited use).

Any way, I'll have to blog the changes as I get more photos scanned. One of the best finds for us on that trip was the original Gunbarrel Construction Co. grader which was still in use at Giles Meterological Station in 1985. I believe the grader is still there on public display. We were wrapped to have seen it back then. Here are a few of the photos.

Cheers Mick

Image Could Not Be Found Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found Image Could Not Be Found
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mike DID - Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 22:11

Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 22:11
In 1991 the grader was enclosed in a full-height mesh enclosure.
AnswerID: 352427

Reply By: Member - Phil B (WA) - Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 22:42

Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 22:42
Hi Mick

Nice photos and thanks for sharing.

Brings back memories for me as well. On my visit in 1982 the weather station people started the grader for us and let us have a sit in the drivers seat.

Phil
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 352434

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Friday, Mar 06, 2009 at 00:52

Friday, Mar 06, 2009 at 00:52
Mick

Try and find one of the manufactures ID plate, the frame was made by the people I did my trade with, Steelweld Fab. Footscray only problem was I started in 1978.

Richard
AnswerID: 352455

Sponsored Links