Campomatic

Submitted: Friday, Mar 06, 2009 at 08:14
ThreadID: 66552 Views:2659 Replies:1 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
Looking at buying a second hand campomatic or KK 2000 up 2006 model.
How much heavier would the tow ball weight of a 2004 classic KK be than a 2006 campomatic?

How does the nose cone of the campomatic go deflecting rocks and mud ?
There seem to be a lot of weight on the draw bars with these boxes on.
The campomatics kitchen seem to be all stove top and sink.

My towing vehicle is a 2003 TD prado.

Lachie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Friday, Mar 06, 2009 at 09:49

Friday, Mar 06, 2009 at 09:49
I bought a Campo in 2004 because the ball weight was considerably lighter than a comparable KK at the time. It was important for my then tow vehicle (a Jackaroo - now using a 100 series LC). The wedge box is good overall for tight turns etc. but I have added stone protection to our camper in various places - most salespeople will advise you that stones are not an issue - 'phooey' to the lot of them I say - they obviously haven't tried to protect a personal investment in the outback ! The kitchen is great - underside storage is shallow for sure, but the bench space, flip over table and sink etc are top shelf. My Jackaroo TD with 118kw pulled the Campo over all sorts of terrain with ease.
Are you on petrol or diesel in the Prado ?
AnswerID: 352480

Follow Up By: Lachie - Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 08:30

Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 08:30
Thanks for your reply Darian
What kind things did you do for the stone protection ?

Can you leave your bed on when the camper is folded? Someone in the achieve said you could not ?
Do you find it pretty easy to flip over ?
I have just sold a Trak Shak that we have had for 10 yrs. Now it is just the two of us we are looking for something smaller and easier to set up.
We have a 2003 prado TB Diesel.
FollowupID: 620848

Follow Up By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 12:08

Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 12:08
Re stones ..............I added a full width skirt just in front of the suspension (I've seen the hot dip galv on other campers
completely blasted away to bare rusty metal).
Plus a flap just in front of the hitch (protects the brake cables etc). Plus one each to the front corners of the main trailer box (to deflect small stones away from the sides).
I use recycled mining conveyor belt rubber for the flaps - very tough - lasts forever.

The camper folds very easily with the mattress, bedding and pillows left in there. The makers suggest that the side awning can be left on too, but not recommended in my view - just a bit too tight.
As with other campers in this class, the flip over system for opening is fast and easy to do - 2 minutes maybe. Closing requires folding of the canvas as you go, so that is more like 10 minutes. You are heading the same way that we did - we came from a HD soft floor camper to the Campo. We are moving to a 'rough roads capable' caravan formula late in May. Camping is all about progressing through stages it seems !

A few pics on my site (an old page with out of date info, but might be useful). Cheers ......
http://users.picknowl.com.au/~darian/JackCampo
FollowupID: 620867

Sponsored Links