Car registration by non-Ausie's?

Submitted: Friday, Mar 06, 2009 at 18:53
ThreadID: 66575 Views:2128 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi! I'm planning to buy a car in Oz and travel around in it for a while. Can anyone help me with the following: can I as a non-ausie, with no permanent adress in australia, register a car and get it insured?
Any light on this matter would be appriciated!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: _gmd_pps - Friday, Mar 06, 2009 at 19:13

Friday, Mar 06, 2009 at 19:13
you need a permanent adress somewhere in OZ.
I suggest WA (easiest for car rego). And a local drivers license
is of advantage, depends a bit on your visa though. If you have more than 3 months stay it should not be a problem to get a local drivers license. Usually any EU drivers license will do, you just sit the theory test and thats it. with a EU license you do not need a driving test and the theory is you can learn in 5 minutes flicking through the book... it's rather trivial compared to EU .. did the same in the US as well as Australia before I lived here.
good luck
AnswerID: 352607

Reply By: Top End Explorer Tours - Friday, Mar 06, 2009 at 19:35

Friday, Mar 06, 2009 at 19:35
You can register a car in Australia as a visitor, you have to have an address, this could be a friends address, or most accommodations will allow you to use there address as a courtesy to register your car.

As for driving in Australia, Try This.

There is more info if you gooogle it.

Cheers Steve.
AnswerID: 352611

Reply By: Member - Tony B (Malanda FNQ) - Friday, Mar 06, 2009 at 19:37

Friday, Mar 06, 2009 at 19:37
Buing a car Info

This may help Cheers Tony
AnswerID: 352612

Reply By: Lotzi - Friday, Mar 06, 2009 at 20:41

Friday, Mar 06, 2009 at 20:41
G'day Gertjan

There are plenty around, suggest that you look on some of the backpacker type websites, there are plenty of travellers in OZ who do it.

AnswerID: 352627

Reply By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Friday, Mar 06, 2009 at 20:43

Friday, Mar 06, 2009 at 20:43
Hi Gertjan,

I live in New Zealand and own a 4wd vehicle in Australia (registered in WA). I did not need an Australian drivers licence but did need to have a mailing address in Australia. I have an email from the WA authorities telling me that a backpacker or friends house address would be ok. You do need an address so that they can send your registration and any other letters to that address. I pay my registration by phone (Visa number).

AnswerID: 352628

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Friday, Mar 06, 2009 at 20:46

Friday, Mar 06, 2009 at 20:46

The laws are different in each state of Australia. You will get the correct info from the website of each state's Dept of Transport.

For example, if you buy a vehicle in South Australia, it doesn't need an inspection or roadworthy certificate or yearly rego inspection. In most other states, it does.
AnswerID: 352630

Reply By: Sigmund - Friday, Mar 06, 2009 at 20:58

Friday, Mar 06, 2009 at 20:58
If you haven't thought about it yet another option is to buy a camper van from a specialist supplier with a guaranteed buy-back price.
AnswerID: 352633

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)