inverter or not?

Hi Guys i wonderd if anyone knows is it best to use the inverter (which came with my new englel fridge freezer) or use the direct power plug to 12v outlet on vehicle??
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tenpounder - Monday, Mar 09, 2009 at 13:01

Monday, Mar 09, 2009 at 13:01
Hi Frank. I am a bit confused by this, because every Engel I know about has two cables with it, one to plug into 240v, and the other to plug into the vehicle's low voltage system.
Because the Engel uses a low voltage compressor, it makes sense to use the 12v supply direct, and not an inverter.
If you plug your Engel into 240v, then the inbuilt convertor (what we used to call a transformer) converts the 240v into low voltage power which then feeds the compressor.
When you mention an 'inverter', I imagine a external unit designed to convert 12v (plugged into the vehicle) into 240v (plug a 240 plug into the inverter to replace a normal power point). If you used this sort of option, you would be starting with the vehicle's 12v supply, inverting it up to 240 volts, then feeding that into the Engel, which would the break it down to low voltage to feed into the compressor.
Becuase each conversion uses energy, this would have to be a very inefficient way to run the fridge (like perhaps using 30 to 40 percent more battery power for the same result).
It sounds to me that the inverter you mention was bundled with the Engel as a marketing exercise that has nothing to do with the operation of the fridge itself.
Chris (SA)
AnswerID: 353049

Reply By: Maîneÿ [wa] - Monday, Mar 09, 2009 at 13:49

Monday, Mar 09, 2009 at 13:49
frank,
give the inverter to some one you don't really like and connect the fridge direct to a 12v (DC) battery.
(remove the original connector plug, reconnect a small Anderson plug or similar connector, and connect an extended (10mm sq) cable to the (DC) battery via a fuse)

Mainey . . .
AnswerID: 353057

Follow Up By: Tenpounder - Monday, Mar 09, 2009 at 14:29

Monday, Mar 09, 2009 at 14:29
Hi there Mainey. I think you are saying the same as me, except that I suspect Frank has a 100W Canverter (from Engeland in WA) that may be useful for recharging his phone or camera, or something, and which was bundled with the Engel as a sales gimmick - and no harm done either, I say.
Frank: you need to be careful what you plug into a modified sine wave inverter, because some units may not like it. Which is NOT OK if the unit in question is an expensive item that requires a true sine wave power source. It could handle the Engel, in theory, but I personally wouldn't go that way, and there's no reason to try.
Mainey is also right in saying no one in their right mind uses a cig lighter connection as the lead to an important device, but you may need an auto electrician to solve that one for you.
Chris
FollowupID: 621249

Reply By: Member - Frank W (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 19:08

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 19:08
Thanks so much for your Frank and amusing reply's... Yes it came in a bundle so just a gimmick hey! I used it to charge phone's, so may keep hold of it for just that.(wonder why Engel put there name on it)I have my Engel hard wired now. Thanks again Frank
AnswerID: 353277

Sponsored Links