bridge biulding

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 17:02
ThreadID: 66700 Views:3413 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi anybody,
I have been told that a train carriage bottom makes for a very good bridge. The span is 12metres & I need at lest 3 metres wide.
We live at Gum Scrub,30 minutes n/w Port Macquarie NSW.Does anyone know where & how much we could get one as we lost our bridge in recent storms,but the insurance say floods so therefore it's not covered.What do we pay insurance's for.Any help or idea's would be fantastic.
Cheers Bubbles2,but slowly going down.
Thanks to anyone.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Axle - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 17:28

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 17:28
Hi Bubbles, Have seen that done with a train carriage chassis, it does work very well!. But in saying that it has to be anchored down very well also. The power of water is a incredible thing as you probably well know. Rail maintainance yard would probably steer you in the right direction for a old carriage. Also depending on bridge height, sometimes a causeway is a better bet, let the water go over at a lower lever. construct out of 2&3 ton sandstone boulders, concrete over the top.

Hope something works out

Cheers Axle
AnswerID: 353259

Reply By: Member - Richard H (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 17:29

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 17:29
Railway freight wagons vary in strength, depending on when they were made, and what they were expected to carry. I believe that they were designed for strength lengthways if you get my drift, not downwards. One of the more technical people can probably give more detail here.

I would seriously doubt if you could purchase a railway carriage these days, though have a look or advertise on E-Bay or one of the similar sites.

Also you might contact one of the railway companies, they do condemn their freight wagons periodically.

But herein lies a problem. If successful you may have to pay for the thing to be transported from far away. I doubt if it would be delivered to Warchoppy R.S. for example.

Also check with the Dept. of Defence auctions. They periodically get rid of old or surplus to needs equipment, like Bailey Bridge sections. With a bit of mucking around that type would suit your needs. Any sappers about?

I agree about the insurance company's, seldom do they ever do what they promise. Have you spoken to the Insurance Ombudsman. That official may help.

AnswerID: 353260

Reply By: OzTroopy - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 17:42

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 17:42
As a suggestion .....

Down near Branxton / Maitland is a shipping container mob.

There is a flat pack model that has fold up ends ... cut them off and you have a bridge.

You would need to talk to them about carrying capacities but even the 12m ones only rest on the feet at either ends ... and they get filled with big loads.

Only 2400mm wide I know but easy to get and cheap ... 4800mm wide bridge might work out quite cost effective ???
AnswerID: 353264

Follow Up By: RV Powerstream P/L - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 17:52

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 17:52
There is a container firm at Heatherbrae on the Pacific Highway near Sandys Fish shop and that would be closer and worth a try.
FollowupID: 621422

Follow Up By: Member - Tour Boy ( Bundy QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 17:57

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 17:57
Also if you have them 2 wide, and you have wheels only on 1 each then 1/2 the load as well.
A steel, timber or concrete upright pier under the middle will help too.
2010 Isuzu FTS800 Expedition camper
2015 Fortuner
Had 72 cruisers in my time

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 621423

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 17:59

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 17:59
We've used old semi trailers as bridges, you can usually snig them into position with a 4wd and winch.
1996 Oka Motorhome

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 353266

Follow Up By: Member - Mal and Di (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 20:34

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 20:34
I too have heard of an old semi trailer being used but haven't seen one in use. Mate of mine on KI said he had one.
FollowupID: 621440

Reply By: mark I - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 18:36

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 18:36
I am sure I have seen them for sale in "The Land" Newspaper.

AnswerID: 353271

Reply By: A J - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 20:48

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 20:48
bubbles - try a company called access trading co at Barmedman - they used to use flat bed rail trucks for bridges but now build their own.

02 6976 2000

No connection with the business

AnswerID: 353296

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)