King Basin Rd & Craigs Hut

Hi all,
Can anyone provide some current info on the condition of King Basin Road (Victoria) ?

Am looking at doing a trip up through there to Craigs hut - but I believe King Basin Road has 5 river crossings on it. Any information on these river crossings would be greatly appreciated. I'm not sure if they are little shallow ones, or something that's going to be too deep for me.

Also, what's the difficulty level getting to Craigs hut? I'll just be in a standard 4wd Hilux.

I have plenty of maps of this area, just a bit concerned about the river crossings!

Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Crackles - Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 22:02

Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 22:02
Jamey King Basin road is basically a flat 2wd track although after rain can get pretty slippery. At the moment river crossings are 300 to 500mm deep with a firm stoney bottom so should pose you no problems. Local heavy rain can see the crossings fast flowing & up 1.5m deep although unlikey with the drought.
One of the workers that rebuilt Craigs Hut drove an SS Commodore ute so it's a very easy drive from the Circuit rd. Continuing up over Mt Stirling or down Monument track has an increased challenge.
Cheers Craig...............
AnswerID: 353505

Follow Up By: jamey - Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 22:19

Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 22:19
Thanks Craig, exactly the kind of info I was after!
FollowupID: 621629

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 08:47

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 08:47
jamey,

King Basin Road does have river crossings, generally not too bad. Watch the 3rd crossing form King Hut it is properly the one with the biggest rocks that are hard to see in the river.

Image Could Not Be Found

If the 1st river crossing is up from King Hut, and you don't feel comfortable about crossing that one, the rest of the crossings are more of a challenge.

Image Could Not Be Found

This is typical of the river crossings.

Image Could Not Be Found

The last time that I was there, Jan 2009, King Hut was burnt out. I have not heard of any rebuild, but will have a look next week when I am there again.

The road up to Craigs Hut is well signed post, just watch the turn off the Circuit Rd as it is on a blind corner.

Image Could Not Be Found

Wayne
AnswerID: 353550

Follow Up By: jamey - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 09:17

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 09:17
Thanks Wayne - seeing some photos really helps.

That first photo of the vehcile crossing looks rather deep - quite a bit more than the 30 - 50cm depth Craig had mentioned.

I am wondering if I need to look at diff breathers before doing this?

I'd love it if you could send me an update after your visit next week. I'm looking at going first week of April.

Thanks
FollowupID: 621686

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 09:49

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 09:49
jamey,

The first photo of the river crossing was taken Nov 2004 and I have not seen the river that high on any other trips that I have done along the King River Road.
We only got as far as the 3rd crossing before turning back. The Troopie was getting pushed sideways.

The crossings are more like the second photo, but if the river is like the first photo, think about using another track.

Diff breathers are a good idea not just for this trip but for all other river crossings.
Even with diff breathers it is a good idea to let the diffs cool before entering a river crossing. By the time that the river crossing is walked the diffs should be cool enough. Don't forget a breather for the gear box.

Not a problem about the track up date from next week.

Wayne
FollowupID: 621693

Follow Up By: jamey - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 11:23

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 11:23
Ah ok thanks. For a moment I thought the first photo was from Nov 2008, and I was thinking boy that's deep!

If by some chance it is that deep, then I don't think I'd do it. I'm not just that comfortable with deeper crossings.

If it's like what the 2nd photo is, then it'll be great.

Thanks again.
FollowupID: 621722

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 11:54

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 11:54
When I went thru there recently, the deepest water crossing wasnt anywhere near the step on my GU and a mates Bravo on road tires, no lift at all barely got wet (he was disappointed).

I'd drive a commodore thru them.

YMMV.
FollowupID: 621737

Sponsored Links