New van style...

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 22:42
ThreadID: 66751 Views:3879 Replies:9 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
I have had an business opportunity put to me in the way of a 10' van.
It is a American build hardtop 10foot van with a lounge that coverts to a double, a shower, toilet, cook top, double door fridge and sink.
Also has heaps of storage and smooth gel coat finish.

My question to everyone is if this was Australian spec would it sell and if so what price range?

I thought the best market research was van lovers like all of the readers of exploroz.

Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ron M (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 23:02

Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 23:02
My advice is being a 10 footer, It would make a good cubby house for the kids... What a you gunna do with it..
Ron MACKENZIE

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 353514

Follow Up By: ozwasp - Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 23:11

Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 23:11
I agree. While I don't own a van I spent a lot of time in them while working for drilling companies out in the desert. The small ones are great if there's nobody else in there - no room to move!! The big ones however, are like a home away from home, as they have room to move
FollowupID: 621642

Follow Up By: andson - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 00:37

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 00:37
Ron,

I agree its not for me i'm 6ft7, but for people with camper van style vans it may be a good alternative?

Shane
FollowupID: 621660

Follow Up By: andson - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 00:45

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 00:45
Ron,

I agree its not for me i'm 6ft7, but for people with camper van style vans it may be a good alternative?

Shane
FollowupID: 621663

Reply By: A J - Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 23:09

Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 23:09
andson - has it been able to be registered in Australia with the door on the right hand side.

The consumer may not like this aspect and so reduce the price even further.

A J
AnswerID: 353517

Follow Up By: andson - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 00:34

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 00:34
this is the American version the Australian one will have Australian compliant accessories and LH door.
FollowupID: 621659

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 10:55

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 10:55
so you are promoting it andson? You seem to know so much. Perhaps you should read the Terms of Use of Exploroz
FollowupID: 621714

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 11:17

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 11:17
John, he's not "promoting" it. He's asking opinions as to whether it would appeal/sell if he took it on as a product.

I think he's asking the right people (maybe a Caravan Forum as well) but there's no ulterior motive other than above, which he explained in his first post.

cheers

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 621719

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 12:04

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 12:04
by putting his contact details in and asking people to contact him for more information this is indeed consider inapproprate as it is self-promoting. In that regard this segment of the post will be moderated - but if the discussions remains in this post then it is ok.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 621738

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 00:19

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 00:19
You are not the first to have been offered these types of vans. Also you cannot get them registered with the door on the wrong side. This rule applies to motorhomes as well. I know of someone who brought their MH back to aus after touring USA Canada. They were forced to remove the door, and fix a permanent non removable panel in it's place, then cut a new door on the opposite side. Yes, it still remains a LH drive vehicle.
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 353527

Reply By: andson - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 00:36

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 00:36
I Currently have a CVan build by this company which is licenced in WA and was in QLD also.

The wiring, gas and tow hitch are all Aust. Compliant.

Shane
AnswerID: 353528

Reply By: fisho64 - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 02:59

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 02:59
the shape of it appears a bit like a home build?
While it has white rims, I dont think it qualifies it as an off road van, hence of little use to any one here perhaps?

Seems a little crude compared to whats available here on road-must be cheap?

Can you give a price for it? Or is the "Business Opportunity" - we will sell them to you for $xxx and you can keep the difference?
AnswerID: 353532

Reply By: Best Off Road - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 06:06

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 06:06
Interesting concept Shane.

There is a definite demand for a small van with S&T.

On pricing. Adria do a 16 foot lightweight (about 900kg) S&T van for $30,000 which is far better appointed. Jayco do the single ended Expanda wit S&T for about $31,000.

Numerous van makers do a 12 footer (no S&T) for around $20,000. These do offer the benefit of a bed AND two seat dinette.

It is bloody small, but that may appeal to some. Also, setting up the bed each night is a negative. How big is the bed (L & W)?

Does it have two water tanks? Without two the Shower becomes near useless unless staying in Van Parks all the time.

My guess, at $20,000 it would be hard to overlook and some of its shortcomings could be put up with. At $25,000 it would fail because it would be too close to others offering greater space and appointments.

I note the fridge appears to be very big, this is a plus but you would need to check its brand and rating. If it's a Dometic at that size it should be rated "T" and that would be a bonus.

I reckon it has got potential at the right price. We've been considering a S&T van for ages, but they're generally too big and heavy, and too expensive. As we spend most time outside the table would be permanently dropped, BUT it would need to be Q/S.

Also needs an awning. Fiamma wind out (not rope and pole style) would be the go. They should be available in ten foot.

Cheers,

Jim.

AnswerID: 353536

Reply By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 08:08

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 08:08
Shane,

I think that the market for tiny vans might be skewed to the person who wants to take it on dirt tracks. The person who wants the nimbleness of a camper, but hates the canvas and set-up time.

To be a success in that market, you would need a bullet proof suspension , very good dust proofing, two water tanks, solar panels , big deep cycle batteries ( and other bits and pieces ). This sort of build does not come cheap.

In the last year four or five off-road purpose built "mini vans" have hit the market - I don't like them though because they are pop tops. I am not sure if they are a success yet - they are all quite expensive, as they built like a brick outhouse.

There are also a couple of cheap, lightly built mini vans around, but these are not too popular.

Be careful,

Willie.

See
http://www.tracktrailer.com.au/Topaz/Overview.html
http://www.australianoffroadcampers.com.au/quantumconstruction.php
http://www.gemhunter.com.au/about.html
AnswerID: 353542

Reply By: donk - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 09:55

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 09:55
I see it as a alternative to a Avan (although i wonder how many people buy Avans for the low towing height) but it has a decent size fridge, shower & toilet & in my opinion a better,more usable conventional shape

I would expect it would sell at around $25,000

I am not a big fan of the US built vans & 5th wheelers as the ones i have seen have a lot of features (slide outs,etc) but the quality of fittings & construction in my opinion is a bit ordinary

Regards Don
AnswerID: 353559

Reply By: PradOz - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 12:06

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 12:06
If it was aust spec and had adequate warranty back up and no supply delays it would sell. Not sure on what issues apply for being a licenced(?) distributor.

Have a look for comparison at the current March 09 Caravan World magazine page 38 - Franklin Micro. although there are differences you should be able to guage a suitable opinion on pricing etc. the micro has no shower/wc facilities and has less storage space inside despite being slightly longer so this on would appeal to those with smaller towing requirements, smaller budgets, storage space issues etc. obviously this van needs to look like it is strong enough to survive but a hands on and personal visual inspection would satisfy that.

Best way if you are serious and can satisfy oz requirements is to get an oz version asap and get it onto the road and into a few different van parks, holiday places etc, different cities to guage real interest. i would be happy enough to drive it round the country for you if you are looking for a new employee :))) I believe you would always be able to re-sell the one complying van at a later date (if no price etc issues) good luck with it - would love to be in your shoes evaluating this opportunity as it could be a winner if it ticks all the necessary boxes
AnswerID: 353577

Follow Up By: andson - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 12:20

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 12:20
Pradoz,

Thanks for the offer.

I currently have a Toy hauler van made from the same company in the us. We have just done 10,000 kms in it and it was fantastic. All the warrant able options are covered in Australia eg the fridge, toilet etc.

So I would have to assume this would be the same.

Shane
FollowupID: 621744

Sponsored Links