Overseas vehicle purchaser..??

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 11:09
ThreadID: 66758 Views:3377 Replies:21 FollowUps:17
This Thread has been Archived
Morning all,
I have a guy in Germany showing good interest in purchasing our Troopy. He's coming out on the 21 March for a 7 month trip around Oz.
Now- the vehicle is currently NSW registered (til 11/09). What should I watch out for with rego transfers, payment for vehicle etc etc.
Any 'red lights' I should watch out for??
I'm 99.999% sure it's a legitimate buyer. We have exchanged emails and phone calls- and all the banter has been above board.
Has anyone been in this situation before??
Cheers

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Shaker - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 11:20

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 11:20
I can only help you for Victoria, he would need a Victorian address & to protect yourself at transfer time, just make sure that you keep your copy of the transfer document.
Or, if you were really nervous, you could both go to a Vicroads office & effect the transfer.

Maybe the same applies in NSW, why ring your registration office & ask their requirements, then you would have a definitive answer, instead of 35 opinions.
AnswerID: 353572

Follow Up By: Shaker - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 11:28

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 11:28
Oh. for an edit function!

........ why not ring your registration office .... etc
FollowupID: 621724

Follow Up By: Member -Signman - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 11:29

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 11:29
Mate- have you ever tried to get sense out of a NSW public servant- especially the RTA. You can speak to 5 different people and get 6 different answers !!!!!!

FollowupID: 621725

Follow Up By: Shaker - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 11:37

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 11:37
It used to be like that in Victoria too, an absolute nightmare!
I really can't believe how well they have cleaned up their act in the last 5 or so years.
FollowupID: 621731

Follow Up By: Dave(NSW) - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 11:43

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 11:43
Signman,
I would just get the money give him a receipt ,sign the back of rego papers as required & keep a copy then it's up to him to transfer & pay stamp duty.
Cheers Dave...
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 621736

Follow Up By: HappyCamper - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 17:52

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 17:52
G'day David

Not sure you want to hear my suggestion...being an ex-public servant hahaha!!!

Firstly, I would 'never' accept a bank cheque...there are many fakes around and if you happen to get one there goes your money AND the vehicle! In the past I've gone with the buyer to 'my' bank where we have exchanged funds and it's immediately deposited in my account (didn't want to walk down the street with that much cash in my pocket as you never know who was watching the handover). Most banks have desks for customer use, so why not take advantage of them?

Give a written receipt to him/her (and keep a copy for yourself), sign the back of your regn papers, give him/her the main part and keep the Notice of Disposal which you can send to the RTA or I think it can be notified online these days...just check! Keep a note of his/her details for your own records if required in the future. Personally I would also check his/her passport and record the number.

Once the Notice of Disposal has been lodged to the RTA then you will NOT get any fines etc regardless if he/she has transferred the regn, or not.

I noticed you've exchanged your plates so leave the Troopy registered with the current plates attached. It's up to the buyer to transfer the registration...you can't force him/her to do that BUT you are covered as long as you lodge the NOD. Who cares if he/she transfers the regn, runs up umpteen parking/speeding/etc fines, that's not your concern.

If I can help further, give me a call.
Bronwyn ;-)

FollowupID: 621790

Follow Up By: Shaker - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 18:22

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 18:22
Of course it's his concern, if the vehicle is still in his name.
FollowupID: 621797

Follow Up By: HappyCamper - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 18:39

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 18:39
Shaker if the NOD (notice of disposal) has been lodged with the RTA then they will go after the new owner and any fines etc will NOT go to David.
FollowupID: 621805

Follow Up By: Member -Signman - Friday, Mar 13, 2009 at 12:05

Friday, Mar 13, 2009 at 12:05
Thanks Bronwyn- and all the other inputers (now there's a good word)..
OK to call in when I'm passing by ??

FollowupID: 621913

Follow Up By: HappyCamper - Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 09:43

Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 09:43
Sure, it's about time I met your lady? I should even be able to make you a coffee as I can actually reach the coffee machine again (since recent surgery). Instant coffee is Ok for a while but I was hanging out for a nice cup.

Bronwyn ;-)

FollowupID: 622085

Reply By: slammin - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 11:34

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 11:34
I advise you to be careful regardless of it's an overseas buyer or the bloke down the road.

Make sure you dot the i'es and cross the t's. This is essential. We have just been thru 9 months of correspondence with every toll road operator in NSW as our car when sold had 9 months rego left and the d*&$*&$*%$d never transferred ownership. I have 50 odd infringements in my files that he has unpaid they would amount to at least $10K now.

I chased up the state and federal databases to update the ownership details but they refused to do it until the new owner registers. This meant I had to respond to each and every infringement to report that it was not our car. It has cost me umpteen $'s of my time. I would have been better to sell it for a $1K less and not deal with the fallout.

The bureaucrat's warned me then they are dealing with this all day every day same issues different states.

Regards,

Sam.
AnswerID: 353573

Follow Up By: Shaker - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 11:39

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 11:39
In that case, it might prudent for him to take my second suggestion, as there is probably no incentive for an overseas tourist to pay our fines.
FollowupID: 621733

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 12:12

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 12:12
Signman,

I would explain to the buyer that the rego has to be transferred straight away.

Find out how much stamp duty is required plus any other payments due to the RTA, let the buyer know how much he is up for and when you exchange money for the keys to the Troopie take him to the nearest RTA and make sure that the transfer of ownership takes place while you are there. If he knows what he is up for he should have the money for the transfer.

You should try and swap your number plates before the sale goes through. I think that you can swap between the new vehicle and the Troopie with out too much drama. Just ring the RTA first to find out what is required.

This may sound a bit heavy handed and will take up some of your time but in the long term you will know that all maters about transferring the vehicle have been taken care of.

Wayne
AnswerID: 353579

Follow Up By: Member -Signman - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 12:41

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 12:41
Didn't ya notice??? The plates have been transferred to the Wombat already !!
BTW- I got a diagram from H/Reece re: the project...may give us some ideas..
See ya..have a safe trip down South. I haven't got the HF mounted yet. A job for this weekend.

FollowupID: 621746

Reply By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 12:17

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 12:17
My son sold his Hilux under a similar scenario.

What he did was:

Seller made a direct deposit of the full amount into his bank account - son checked that amount was in the account.

Both parties then filled in the appropriate sections on the back of the registration papers at the local RTA Office and went to the counter together. Buyer paid the transfer fee and stamp duty - son submitted his notice of disposal.

Ian
AnswerID: 353580

Reply By: pepper2 - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 12:30

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 12:30
As far as i know an australian issued bank cheque takes a minimun of 3 working days to clear ,dont release the vehicle until you have cleared funds and OVERSEAS fund transfer although you see it in your account can be stopped/reversed up to 30 DAYS after deposit to you please check
AnswerID: 353583

Reply By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 12:31

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 12:31
Wouldn't hurt to have someone snap a photo of you both as you pass over the keys. It's for the family album of course, saying goodbye to the Troopy.

AnswerID: 353584

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 12:46

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 12:46
G'day Signman,

I purchased a van in Qld last year and I'm pretty sure that the transfer papers included a section that enabled the seller to dispose of the vehicle in the absence of the buyer doing so.

Get a copy of the transfer document from the RTA it may say something similar.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 353586

Reply By: Lotzi - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 13:24

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 13:24
G,day Signman

Just as a thought, there are some good views above, but why don't you just sell it unregistered with a machinery ticket and then go to registry with him to get it registered.

He does have to have an international license, if he wants a car anything after purchase is his problem.

At the end of the day your not Dear Dell, he could present as a nice bloke, but if anything goes wrong, he is back in Europe and gov dept's will be saying to you bend over, we promise it won't hirt

AnswerID: 353590

Follow Up By: Lotzi - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 13:26

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 13:26
Sorry pressed the wrong button.
to finish, I got caught out once, it won't happen again.

Cheers
Lotzi
FollowupID: 621755

Reply By: Louie the fly (SA) - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 13:51

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 13:51
Signy, gotta watch those Jerries. I sold my Patrol to a friend of the family who came over from 'z farzerland'. There were no difficulties with the sale but he forgot to pay the transfer fee. It wasn't until he buggered off back to Germany that I got a letter from Transport SA. I got stung with paying the transfer fee and they were going to hit me up for a little fine as well. I just emailed the friend and he sent me the money. Turned out no big deal. I told him next time he would become croc bait!

Having said that, when he eventually sold the Patrol before going back he left my camp oven and a few bit that he was supposed to give back to me in the car.

So make sure they pay all the bills. I'd be making sure I got a bank cheque or cash before the vehicle leaves my driveway.

Louie
AnswerID: 353595

Follow Up By: Member No 1- Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 14:45

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 14:45
a bank cheque is no guarantee
FollowupID: 621762

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 16:14

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 16:14
didnt you put in the disposal papers? Otherwise how can they fine you and make you pay the transfer fee??
FollowupID: 621775

Reply By: Dunco (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 14:00

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 14:00
Make sure you get cash.

And regarding your transfer of rego in NSW....you can now do it ONLINE at myrta.com and that is the end of it for you as long as you put the fellows details down. ...and make sure HE signs the actual document and YOU KEEP that for future reference.

Once you have transferred the rego over...all over red rover !

AnswerID: 353598

Reply By: The Landy - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 15:35

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 15:35
Apart from making sure you have got the cash, fill in the following form, kiss the Troopy good-bye and forget about it.

This is all the sellers is required to do and as long as you do you won't get any infringement notices etc.

Good luck....

Notice of Disposal
AnswerID: 353606

Reply By: fisho64 - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 16:12

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 16:12
so long as you have submitted the disposal form and ensured you have got payment you dont need to worry about anything else.
AnswerID: 353611

Follow Up By: Member - William H (WA) - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 17:44

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 17:44
Even in todays day and age of computers, and "SCANERS", I would not axcept a "Bank Cheque",from anyone, it is cash for the item, and then do the transfer all at once at the Rego office in the state where you live, When i was in Murwillumbah in 2002 a tourist bought a camper van from two grey nomads who had finnished their travell around Australia, they were to trusting of the over seas byer,and he said he will pay for it with a B/cheque on the friday, which he did.....he took the c/van and he was "OFF".....So on the Monday the two old people went and deposited the so called bank cheque, and was told it was a fake (copy of a bank Cheque and filled in) those two people had lost their van, and wasn't paid for it,since then i have never axcepted a Bank Cheque,i dont do any transfer's on the internet,or internet banking, I pay cash for everything and people are a lot happier and better off that way, I do have a Visa debit card for paying airline tickets, and i never let it out of my sight.

Cheers for now...William H...Bunbury...WA.
FollowupID: 621789

Follow Up By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 21:53

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 21:53
With todays high resolution scanners etc. it's all too east to produce counterfiet Bank Cheques. I for one only ever touch a Bank Cheque when I'm the purchaser.

Bank Cheques also get stolen, then on sold.

Ian
FollowupID: 621833

Follow Up By: Shaker - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 23:29

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 23:29
As is the case with personal cheques, bank cheques can also have payment stopped by gutless purchasers.
FollowupID: 621854

Reply By: Graham & Lynne - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 18:15

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 18:15
Signman
The new owner needs to prove he lives in NSW to RTA this will be hard but if he gets a receipt from a caravan park for accommadation & users this address for rego.
Thanks Graham
AnswerID: 353634

Reply By: a convict - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 18:24

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 18:24
...check out the CMCA web site too. They have been posting warnings about similar 'overseas enquiries' for about the last four (4) months.

AnswerID: 353636

Reply By: Member - G N (VIC) - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 18:43

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 18:43
Knoww a couple of others who have had similar situation, where they offer bit more than the asking price, but ask to have the vehical transported and will need to book that NOW to make it on times. They then ask you to pay the deposit to get the "bogus" booking, thats where the scam is.
they all seemed lagitamit and were checked ok and had ample funds sitting in a real bank account!
take care
GN
AnswerID: 353641

Reply By: DIO - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 19:30

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 19:30
I reckon the ONLY thing that you HAVE to watch out for is a rubber cheque. INSIST ON A 'CERTIFIED' BANK CHEQUE with a local bank and make sure the cheque is honoured/cleared before parting with possession of your vehicle. Why am I shouting, to make sure you understand that payment is the MOST important aspect of the transaction. You can choose to ignore - at your own risk. Good luck with it anyway.
AnswerID: 353651

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 23:31

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 23:31
Signman, you have assessed he is genuine, so trust your judgement. These days when internet transfer is the way of doing business, you can insist that the funds are in your bank before handing over the vehicle and papers. He has to have trust in you too.

Do the gentlemanly thing and take him to the licensing authority to pay the licence transfer. He could even use your address as his Australian address, but make sure you have proof of his identity, residential and postal address in Germany. Offer to asssit with the advertising and resale when his tour is completed.

It must be so hard for people from overseas to purchase their vehicles here - which for a long holiday works out cheaper than hiring. It is hard enough for us to purchase and get around the licensing red tape when we purchase from a different state. Tourism dollars are an important part of our economy and these overseas travellers should be encouraged in hard times like these.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 353717

Reply By: Member - Stuart P (WA) - Friday, Mar 13, 2009 at 00:16

Friday, Mar 13, 2009 at 00:16
who says their purchase is devious make sure your paperwork is in order and your butt is covered let them enjoy oz
AnswerID: 353719

Reply By: Horacehighroller - Friday, Mar 13, 2009 at 02:15

Friday, Mar 13, 2009 at 02:15
I agree with NOT accepting cheques, but I also would not allow him to direct deposit to my account.
( If he uses a dud cheque (or some other fraudulent means) it can be reversed down the track as stated above.)

Don't ever accept more than the sale price (requiring you to do any sort of refund).

DON'T rely on your own instincts that he seems "OK".
People only ever get ripped off by someone they DID trust.

Get CASH ($ Aussie) and best to do the transaction at a bank. You can then immediately deposit at any bank to your own account for a small fee.($5.00 ish)

Something which I have been told to do is to get the buyer to sign a receipt for the vehicle with the date and correct time clearly indicated. That way if he has an accident (or a fine or tollway charge) within 10 minutes after leaving you he can't claim he was only test driving YOUR vehicle at the time.

Copy his license &/or passport.

Advise him to organise insurance BEFORE collecting the vehicle.

If possible take him to the RTA/Vicroads/whatever to "assist" him with the transaction proceedures.

GOOD LUCK
Peter

(He's "probably" OK but YOU need to be sure that you safeguard your interests.
AnswerID: 353724

Reply By: Best Off Road - Friday, Mar 13, 2009 at 06:03

Friday, Mar 13, 2009 at 06:03
This could be complete hogwash, but I seem to recall something about overseas funds transfers taking up to 30 days to clear.

That is to say, the money goes into your account, all seems well and a month later it disappears.

Check with your bank.

Cheers,

Jim.

AnswerID: 353730

Reply By: Overseas One - Friday, Mar 13, 2009 at 21:17

Friday, Mar 13, 2009 at 21:17
G`Day,

Unlike Australia all German citizens have to be by law registered with their local authorities including their address. They are issued with a photo I D card that shows all personal details including DOB, address etc.. It looks like an oversized driving licence and is called “Personalausweis”.

It might be an idea to get a copy, back and front, it will make it a lot easier to trace him/her if need arises. Click below to see sample
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/98/MustermannPA.jpg

Hope this helps

Kind regards, Neil
AnswerID: 353880

Sponsored Links