lancelin Perth WA places to camp

Submitted: Friday, Mar 13, 2009 at 09:24
ThreadID: 66784 Views:26294 Replies:3 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
HI all

we are heading to Lancelin for the Easter long weekend. And I want to find out were there are some places to camp bush or beach.

I have had a good look on this site and other sites but wanted to find out some inside information from any one that has travelled there before.

we are spending two nights at a caravan park but we wanted to spend some time camping bush as well

if there is any thing that you can recommend lets us know about it

cheers

JBG
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: stumbly - Friday, Mar 13, 2009 at 10:23

Friday, Mar 13, 2009 at 10:23
head north past the dunes on the track till the area where you can go right up the track or left onto the beach. DO NOT enter the beach here, go right up the track. keep following it and you will come another sharp right bend. keep following and you will see an old tractor tyre painted green with "sappers road" painted on it on the left. chuck a left onto that track and follow to the end.
a few locals turn up on sundown for a fish then leave and you generally have a nice little bay to yourself.
There's no bins, dunnies, water etc.
not the best directions I know, but its pretty easy to find, best of luck.

AnswerID: 353763

Reply By: MAVERICK(WA) - Friday, Mar 13, 2009 at 10:24

Friday, Mar 13, 2009 at 10:24
Easter in Lancelin - hmmmmm............... Anywhere along the beach Narrow Neck - Wedge. Sort of in the dunes and bush to the east of the beach is also ok. Just about anywhere but do not expect a peaceful isolated camping experience.Easter is a very, very, very popular time in Lancelin and the area up to Cervantes will be full of 4WDs, MX bikes, Quads, more 4WDs, even more MX bikes and even more Quads. If you don't wish to embody the Lancelin 'experience' maybe look alsewhere. Otherwise sit back and enjoy what will unfold - you may be amazed at some of the antics. rgds
Slow down and relax......

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 353765

Follow Up By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Friday, Mar 13, 2009 at 12:11

Friday, Mar 13, 2009 at 12:11
For some fun, you could plonk a couple of folding chairs on top of a dune and spend the weekend watching the idiots wrecking the dunes or their vehicles! All for free!
FollowupID: 621914

Follow Up By: ob - Friday, Mar 13, 2009 at 12:34

Friday, Mar 13, 2009 at 12:34
Yeah, what Maverick said. We used to go there back in the 60's and 70's. Didn't go for a while because of other commitments and then went back mid to late 90's. Bloody pandemonium. Never been back during any long weekend. Have a mate who lives in Cervantes and he basically locks himself in at these times.

Cheers ob
FollowupID: 621919

Follow Up By: stumbly - Friday, Mar 13, 2009 at 13:35

Friday, Mar 13, 2009 at 13:35
yeah, sorry mate - forgot it was easter! what maverick and the others said, if ya want a quiet weekend go elsewhere. It will be a bloody mad house at Lano....

cheers, Keith
FollowupID: 621924

Follow Up By: Flywest - Friday, Mar 13, 2009 at 17:30

Friday, Mar 13, 2009 at 17:30
Couldn't agree more - we had one of the first beach houses in lancelin when I was a kid 50 years ago.

You could see the dunes from the house and when us kids would act up - mum would send us over to the dunes with a cardboard box to slide down the dunes in - she could watch us from the Kitchen windows, to see we were safe!

Now days - any kid on a dune in a cardboard box would be run over and killed in 5 seconds bye a beach buggy, quad, or motorbike or 4wd!

I'm not saying their shouldn't or isn't room for those activities within the dunes complex at Lancelin - just that its a shame the whole dunes complex has been given over to motor sport to the exclusion of people who might enjoy the simpler things in life!

As kids - we were Laurence of Arabia, playing in those dunes, because we had imagination, sadly something my own kids couldn't enjoy 30 years later for fear of being run down by some offroad vehicle.

I guess they were different times, even back then - one of the familys friends kids was killed driving a VW to Wedge, on the tracks - came over a hill and hit a land river going the other way which just ran up over the bonnet of the VW and crushed the cab, killing the kid at the wheel...

That was the start of the red flags on old fiberglass fishing rods practice to try and avoid such head on hill hazzards.

Lancelin was a great place - back in the day - we could get a feed of crays inside the bay with just a couple pots, or afeed of skippy in the hole behind Lancelin island - (now a dive park site, no fishing), we could walk over to Edward Island on a low tide, etc. Sis & I would swim from the north point near the pub (there was no endeavor tavern back in the day) across to Lanceln island - play there all day then swim back!

These days youd get hit by a cray boat or speed boat if you tried it - back then all the cray boats were bondwood 22 or 24 footers and travelled at displacement speed, or the old ex pearl luggers the dings owned which likewise travelled pretty slow.

It was probably 1963, when I recall Johnny Taylors boat went down with Johnny Taylor, & Pete Th' Pom on board south of Lancelin - near the boomers, and only the Pom made it back to shore - Johnny was our next door neighbour (there was a vacant block twixt his and our place - since built on).

I notice these days that reef is now marked on the charts as "taylor reef" in remembrance.

I also remember that originally - the bakery owned back then by Bill Catchpole, was located where the Endeavor tavern now stands.

It was demoilshed and the Shell servo went in, and Bills Bakery moved down to opposite us on bootoo road.

Bill lived behind us on the beach - he would walk past our bedroom window every morning about 4 am in summer on the way to work - lighting the wood ovens fired with mallet wood, whistelling as he went.

He was our early morning fishing alarm clock, & by the time we got back from pulling pots and catching a feed of herring etc - the fresh bread would be out - we'd go get hot bread rolls fresh outta the oven and juggle them all the way across the street back home coz they were too hot to hold.

At Christmas - we'd give Bill a big containerof all the pizza toppings we could muster and he'd make us a the biggest pizza you ever saw - about a yard square - in the bread oven!

Lancelin was a far different place back then...

Ritchie & Doreen owned the Pub, and there was no police station in town - the nearest was at Gin Gin from memory, so the pub stayed open 24 hours a day, youd come in over the 4 mile hill and see the lights of the pub on at 4 am and roll right into town for a drink!

The road was a two wheeled sand track from Yanchep national park onwards.

My ol dad was a builder and got the contract to build the first school at lancelin, he bought a Chev maple leaf truck and transported all the materials up to Lancelin on that ol truck.

It had holes in the radiator, so we kids would get fed sticks of chewing gum from the Yanchep pub onwards - to chew and push into the radiator to keep her going thru the sand all the way to Lancelin.

I recall, as a kid when we would get big hauls of skippy in the skippy hole behind Lancelin Island, we couldn't store them all in the old kero Fridge - so sis & i would take a wheelbarrow down to the south end caravan park and shop and sell them to the campers for threepence each, the shop would take anything we didn't sell and keep them in their cold store fridge for other campers.

Sis & I would nick 6 pence outta the takings and buy musk sticks for the walk home pushing the empty barrow.

These days selling those fish would be a crime!

They were much simpler days - no police, no fisheries inspector, etc etc - heck we'd go down the Kailis and France cray processingworks and grab cray heads to crush & make berley for fishing.

There was no such thing as kite surfing, windsurfers, not even much in the way of surfies riding the waves down the south end. No beach buggies of off road motorbikes in the dunes.

Lancelin seems to have lost a LOT of its original charm.

Think my ol Grandpappy bought the original block (a 99 year lease) for somewhere around 112 pounds from memory - and dad the builder threw up a shack on it from old demolition materials from projects in Perth...

We sold it back in i think 1980 for about $32,000..

These days the block and same ol shack are valued somewhere over $500K, probably a lot more.

I remember in about 1977 scuba diving around the horseshoe reef, north of Lancelin Island and finding a wrecked boat called the Grace Darling built in the late 1890's and used as a guano transport coastal cutter from the Abrolhos to Fremantle, Albany & Esperance, which sank in a storm in 1916.

I see these days someone has salvaged one of the anchors and placed it out front of the endeavor tavern.

I don't miss Lancelin much - went back for work a few years back and it's changed so much theres little left of it's original charm these days.

Camping was always popular north of laqncelin in the beach front dunes between lancelin and Diedy bay & points further north.

Best a luck with it.
FollowupID: 621956

Follow Up By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Friday, Mar 13, 2009 at 18:13

Friday, Mar 13, 2009 at 18:13
Hey Flywest, this is the makings of a book!
Tim Winton couldn't have done it better!
Go to it!!
FollowupID: 621964

Reply By: Johnny B Good - Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 09:36

Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 09:36
Thanks for all you responses, it certainly got the good and bad comments about , and could not agree with you any more it's a mad house. They were all fair comments.

BUT after all that i made a silly mistake ha lol. after completing a 12hr night shift i put this thread in, finished it and posted it and soon reliesed what i had done der!!!!!!!!! I put Lancelin instead Esperance

so I am going to try again now i am a little more with it,
and will but a new thread in

looking forward to hearing from you

cheers
JBG
AnswerID: 353929

Follow Up By: ross - Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 10:32

Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 10:32
Esperance has some great beaches to the east where you can camp .There are some places where you can get behind the sand dunes for shelter.
The beach sand is usually firm enough to drive on.
There will still be a few bikes and quads out along there

Personally, I orefer to stay at Croakers Caravan park. Its in the industrial area but a much nicer park than the one on the beach front.
If it is going to be windy ,I would definately stay in the park

FollowupID: 622087

Follow Up By: get outmore - Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 11:25

Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 11:25
Hmm easter will be busy down there

stay away fro duke of orleans holiday time as all the parents that go there think the idea of a holiday is giving any kid big enough to ride a qaud bike the whole day to run amok - usually within the park. All the quads buzzing around and continually having to look out for kids on them not big enogh to ride a bike will drive you nuts

thomas river is the best of the beaches with the most other things to do east of there. If the campgrounds are full you can camp in the dunes further along the beach or at the several bays past the end of the beach

Dunns rocks is another lesser known beach and rocks ive seen people camping on the hard packed beach near where the track gets to the beach which would be ok if the weather is nice.

its a bit of a hike over rocks but if you follow the coast around by foot to the right you come to a natural rock jetty which makes a good fishing platform
FollowupID: 622098

Follow Up By: Johnny B Good - Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 11:05

Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 11:05
thanks guys beach camping sounds great as i have never been there before really looking forward it

i am going to put a new thread in this morning about it as the first was a bit of a stuff up

cherrs
FollowupID: 622245

Follow Up By: ross - Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 16:04

Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 16:04
If you can afford the $70 per head tour out to Woody Island and surroundiing bay area ,it is well worth it.
FollowupID: 622287

Follow Up By: ross - Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 16:06

Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 16:06
If you can afford the $70 per head tour out to Woody Island and surroundiing bay area ,it is well worth it.
FollowupID: 622288

Sponsored Links