Troopy gutters rusting .

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 09:26
ThreadID: 66819 Views:5823 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I took the caulking out of the troopy gutter and applied rust converter to the rusty bits . Then i hit it with a hair dryer to make sure it was comepletely dry .Theni put 5 coats of epoxy paint on and hopefully this will slow the rusting down a bit .
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 11:21

Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 11:21
Condensation on the inside accentuated in cold weather and even worse if you sleep in the vehicle causes the moisture to penetrate the seam from the inside.

Carefully pull the edge of the headlining back from the inside of the roof/gutter seam on the inside of the truck. Then get a squeeze bottle filled with your favourite very runny rust inhibitor (Tectyl, fishoil etc) and dribble it around the entire length of the turret so that the seam is sealed/rustproofed from the inside as this is how they rust. Condensation on the inside accentuated in cold weather and even worse if you sleep in the vehicle causes the moisture to penetrate the seam from the inside. BTDT with 6 different troopies over the years, did the above when I bought them and never had any probs with rust in the turret.
Works on most vehicles as that seam rarely gets any rustproofing /painting at the factory when being built as it is hard to get to.
AnswerID: 353945

Follow Up By: troopyman - Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 14:32

Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 14:32
thanks for the tip.
FollowupID: 622127

Follow Up By: V8 Troopie - Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 00:37

Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 00:37
Wish you had told me that 15 years ago... Too late now I suppose, had to fill holes with fiberglass putty. I thought the rust started because the roof rack loads cracked the gutter sealant a little and water leaked in there.
FollowupID: 622207

Reply By: Member - Royce- Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 19:34

Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 19:34
My old Hj47 troopie ... just unbolted the roof and treated the metal.... then back on.

Son has had to do it again since he inherited.

70 series more difficult.
AnswerID: 354008

Follow Up By: Ozhumvee - Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 07:54

Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 07:54
The early 40 series in the days before silicon sealers. The fibreglass roof was rivetted with little aluminium rivets to the U shaped metal gutter which then bolted to the side panels. They used a hard body sealer early on which cracked and let water in to sit in the U shaped channel rusting it out. When you braked or went down hill in wet weather all the water ran to the front and down into the passengers lap!
Then silicone sealers came along and you could actually make a permanent waterproof seal if you did the preparation right.
I had one of the last 47 troopies (bought new early 1985 after the release of the 70 series) and it never had a problem as it used a flexible type body sealer to seal the gutter.
FollowupID: 622215

Sponsored Links