USA Deep cycle battery

Has anyone had any experience, good or bad, with the USA brand of deep cycle batteries
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: qubert - Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 12:09

Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 12:09
dont assume they are made in the usa. may be just a chinese tricky name
AnswerID: 354095

Reply By: RV Powerstream P/L - Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 13:16

Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 13:16
Federal Batteries carry the brand of which the US2200 is a 6 volt 220AH battery and it is an excellent deep cycle battery if you are wanting to use an open flooded wet cell battery.

Like all open FWC batteries you have to regularly check the water levels.

These batteries are similar in size and performance to the Trojan 105 which are also 6 Volt 220 AH.

They vent gases while charging and are not recommended for use in enclosed areas .

Two US 2200 6volt batteries giving 220AH at 12V will give you greater draw down capacity than two12V batteries in parallel of the same AH capacity.

Open flooded wet cell deep cycle batteries will give the excellent long life if maintained correctly.

Ian

AnswerID: 354103

Reply By: Member - Netnut (VIC) - Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 20:01

Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 20:01
Hello Ian,
I'm not sure of your application, but I can give some insight into a deep cycle battery for a campertrailer.

I have a USA-made DEKA AGM 100amp battery in my Aussie Swag camper trailer for the past year and with proper care I expect it to last 10 years. It replaced a Lifeline AGM 100 amp battery which lasted some 7 years. Unfortunately, the latter wasn't well looked after by the previous owner of the trailer ie: it wasn't kept on a charger for months at a time - and it expired ahead of time.

From my reading of numerous Exploroz forum posts, consultation with several owners of campertrailers and some discussion with battery representatives, I would recommend a USA battery over an imported make. As you may already be aware, these batteries cost more than those imported from China. I suggest that due to their higher quality and more robust construction - and anticipated extra life - the additional cost is worthwhile.

I did quite a lot of research on the USA AGM batteries and a few brands stood out as being robust in construction: Optima, Lifeline and Deka. I purchased the Deka as Lifeline was tooooooo expensive at around $650. The Deka was readily available and priced around $430.

Happy travels,
Netnut
AnswerID: 354170

Follow Up By: Member - Ian F (WA) - Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 21:43

Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 21:43
Thanks everybody for the info at present I am only using an ordinary wet cell hooked up in parallel via a Redarc battery isolator running an Engel, sometimes two, and when the vehicle is parked up (Home) I have it permanently on charge via a Ctek 7000. When fishing I have a 80 watt solar panel running, with a Honda 10i as a backup.
So far the battery has lasted 2 years which is due regular charging I would say.
Ian
FollowupID: 622371

Sponsored Links