Stopping Grass seeds

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 16:54
ThreadID: 66857 Views:4396 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Just wondering if any one has come up with a way that actually works to prevent grass seeds getting into the radiators and air con condensor on outback tracks. I have tried the fly screen and shade cloth methods but they still get in. Photos or links would be great. I have a GU Patrol w bull bar.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 17:19

Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 17:19
Tried them, only answer is to stay out of the paddock and stick to the track.

AnswerID: 354128

Follow Up By: VH-GU4 - Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 17:24

Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 17:24
Normally always stay on track but if your one of the first cars on the track for the season the grass will be nice and high on the track, or until a dozen cars have knocked all the seeds out.
FollowupID: 622299

Follow Up By: Notso - Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 17:41

Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 17:41
Yeah, I was being a bit facetious, the cane grass is a nightmare after a bit of rain.

Still no way I know of stopping it altogether.
FollowupID: 622305

Reply By: Willem - Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 17:58

Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 17:58
No!....hahahahaha

At least none that I have come across.

This was last years trek effort

Image Could Not Be Found

This year I have fitted a home made bash plate from behind the bullbar to just past the front of the sump. Gauze will will enclose the whol;e bullbar and over the top of it and in under the bonnet.

The old 4-bies (pre aircon) were great as they had no wiring in and around the front of the vehicle and so you could periodically drop a lighted match down there....whooshhh...and its gone...lol

Cheers

AnswerID: 354141

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 13:40

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 13:40
Willem
Yes the old match trick works great, In that scenario I always have the Extinguisher at the ready.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 622465

Reply By: pop2jocem - Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 18:27

Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 18:27
I saw a setup on the front of an old Series 2 Landy many years ago and I'm not sure if it could be made to fit the front of modern day 4wd's. It consisted of a metal tubular frame that extended from about the roo bar or bottom of the radiator forward and upward about 700mm and about the height of the top of the bonnet. The bottom and side openings were covered completely leaving a top square opening about the same area as the front of the radiator grille. Looking from the sides it looked sort of like a triangle standing on one point. Not that easy to describe, would have been easy to draw if I was a bit more computer savvy. Anyway the top opening had a removable mesh screen and a "knockdown" bar extended about 500mm in front of that and level with the top of this contraption. This guy and his mate were geo's so spent a lot of time in untravelled country. According to them even this did not stop all seeds but made a huge difference to the time spent cleaning the mesh directly in front of the radiator. Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers Pop
AnswerID: 354149

Reply By: Robert H (SEQ)(aka zuksctr) - Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 19:06

Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 19:06
Could try using a sugar/chaff bag on the ouside of your bullbar if you have one.I have not had the pleasure of being out in to these places yet so i have not tried it.
I would think the seeds would have less chance to go through this type of bag as it is tightly woven.Keep it far enough off the grill to let air pass for the radiator.
It is just a thought as the othe scenario's don't seem to work.
Cheers,
Bob.
AnswerID: 354156

Reply By: Andrew-rodeo - Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 20:48

Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 20:48
Maybe you could reverse down the track....just a thought.
Sorry I couldn't help.
Andrew
AnswerID: 354184

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 21:13

Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 21:13
I've had very good success with a doubled up piece of good quality shade cloth fitted to the bullbar with cable ties.

Image Could Not Be Found

Another essential is to ensure that if the bottom bash plate at the base of the bullbar mounting arms has holes in it (usually the case), stuff that gap with a piece of fibreglass flywire. It impedes the seeds as well.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 354191

Reply By: Kim and Damn Dog - Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 21:28

Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 21:28
In my experience it’s necessary to hang a double layer of shade cloth from the top of the bull bar to within a couple of inches of the ground.

In rough country this will only last a day before it needs to be replaced. I use Ocky straps to tie the cloth down, because there’s a bit of elasticity which reduces damage to the material. I don't use cable ties anymore.

I’ve never had a problem with this method (after advice from a roo shooter many years ago).

Most of what I’ve seen around are mesh filters covering the grill, which are next to useless in Spinifex country.

Regards

Kim
AnswerID: 354197

Sponsored Links