Floodwaters easing in Birdsville

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 21:15
ThreadID: 66872 Views:2750 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Good news, the flood boat came out of the water this afternoon and bits of the road to the bridge will start to appear tomorrow morning - this is the last (fourth) flood and unless it rains we should be right. Of course, there is still the problem of all the water in the Georgina/Eyre Creek/Warburton!
Weather is pleasant - 19/33 and flies are REALLY friendly now the grass is appearing. Sandflies and mossies appear to have disappeared.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Marion - Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 21:32

Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 21:32
Hello Ruth, glad to hear that the sandflies and mossies have gone on holidays, it will make life a little more enjoyable.Have you had any fresh coffee delivered yet? also where was the photo taken? should be going your way late June will you still be there? Love to read your threads, cheers Marion
Talawana
VKS Selcall 2691

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 354199

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 08:27

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 08:27
Hello Marion, yes the coffee beans were flown in - along with some pineapple, pawpaw and bananas and lemons - lemons for the fresh fish and fruit salad for afters! The picture was taken at the secret fish hole and where Ian is standing on the bank we normally step down about 9 - 10 steep steps to fish in the water, directly behind him is a dip in the bank where we put the fire - that day it had water in it and the pigs had been using it as a wallow. I can't tell you where the fish hole is because then I would have to kill you! Ha ha - probably show you when you are here though. Caio.
FollowupID: 622412

Reply By: Big Kidz - Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 21:36

Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 21:36
Look at all that water on your pic - that local looks familiar too. How is your market garden going? Hope that you are well.
Andrew and Jen
AnswerID: 354202

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 08:37

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 08:37
Hello yo all! Very familiar local there. Health dept pulled the pin on the market garden just before Christmas - we still have it going tho and have been living on water melon - yum. Apparently they want to have an orchard instead of F & V - bit dirty on them at present. We are well and looking forward to seeing the little grandies when we go east for 10 days at Easter (Caithlyn - see with a C not a K - was 2 on the 3 March so I will be forced to have a little fairy girlie party for her at my place - who cares if it's just her and me and her baby sister Elizabeth Ruth (what a suck up eh?) is 1 on 7 May so I might have to have two parties!!) Coffee shops, Chinese/Thai - as many fresh tomatoes and lettuce as you can eat - a Mick Donald (as my kids used to call it) bacon & egg MacMuffin for the old bloke - some champers for me (have run out) - hairdresser - new clothes - doctor, dentist and car servicing. Wonder if there will be time for a holiday. Oh yes and go to the supermarket, walk up and down for hours and see what new products there are. Apparently Aldi has come to town - might even look in there instead of Coles and Woolies. The excitement is building up. Hope you are well and studying hard (not you Andrew because you are naturally brilliant - piffle) - kisses and cuddles for the kidz - x for Janelle from you know who. You just get a hug Andrew.
FollowupID: 622415

Reply By: Willem - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 07:57

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 07:57
Ahhh.Good news. Now you will be able to Escape from the Planet of the Flies....lol

Just as an aside...what does your avatar mean? Quote >Oh, no all the fish will be downded<?????????.....lol

xxxxx
AnswerID: 354243

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 08:41

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 08:41
Willem - no wind this morning so the Planet of the Flies very busy.
My avatar means that I have made a typo - now I know why Zukie wanted to know what it meant in an MM the other day - I didn't actually read it when he asked - I had better fix the typo.
Actually it something one of my kids would say had they been with us on the day (provided they were still very short people of about 2 or 3 years) - Oh no, all the fish will be dRownded!!
FollowupID: 622416

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 08:48

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 08:48
When Ian went to the river (in the high clearance truck - I mean proper truck not 4WD) he drove through the first water and before he got to the deepest water just before the bridge - he found an old mate camped up on the high ground! He came through the deep water last night (about 700mm) but as the road curved around he couldn't see the guide posts to get the rest of the way into town (about 2klm) so he just camped. His three labradors thought they were in heaven - on dry ground with heaps of swimming for them.
As the boat is now out of water the ferrying of people back and forth is done today by fire truck - the water is 600 mm this morning.
We have had three tourists this season so far!
Bit chilly today - 19 overnight.
AnswerID: 354258

Sponsored Links