reversing camera for caravans

Submitted: Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 13:43
ThreadID: 66886 Views:10260 Replies:9 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all just wondering those that have a reversing camera on their caravan do you think they are worth having eg do they stop the arguments between partners? we are getting a van built and thought if they are worth it might be better to get it put in now (we do have a reversing camera in the pajero so it can be hooked up to that to save money) Thanks once again to all that help out Sue
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tenpounder - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 14:10

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 14:10
Hi there. We have fitted a rear view camera to our van. That is 'on all the time' rear vision, not 'switched on only when in reverse gear' reversing camera. (Both are on the market at present).
To be honest, the value in reversing the van is usually marginal, especially if the camera has a fish eye lens that distorts the image. Even with normal mirrors and the camera, my wife can always find a spot to stand in where I can't see her or her signals. The only exception is when reversing around a corner (in a built up area, for instance), where you can track the near side of the roadway, and keep the van parallel to the kerb all the way.
But value as a rear vision camera is HUGE. It means you are aware the instant the car in your blind spot is pulling out to pass; it gives you advance warning of the idiot about to pass despite double white lines; it is great for watching a truck approaching and being able to talk on UHF if required.Hope this helps
Chris (SA)
AnswerID: 354307

Follow Up By: Member - Redbakk (WA) - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 18:38

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 18:38
totally agree with tenpounder....would not be without it.

FollowupID: 622548

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 14:20

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 14:20
I too support the use of a 'rear view' (watching the road) camera not a 'backing in' camera. Focus is quite different on the two products, although the reversing camera does has some vision when backing. Your mirrors should give you enough view to line up where you want to go, and if necessary have your partner standing to the right of the rig to signal you when to stop.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 354310

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 14:52

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 14:52
When reversing the van, I get my wife to stand somewhere at the back with a handheld UHF. She just says Left, or Right or Stop and I adjust the vehicle accordingly.

Very easy and works well.

I am also having a rear view camera put on our new van, more for seeing what is coming up behind than for reversing. I find the system described above works best for us.

cheers
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 354317

Reply By: spudnit - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 16:58

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 16:58
I had my camera put on van while being built. This not only saved money its a neat job. I think its a great help when on the road in traffic to be able to see whats going on behind you. For reversing i only use it backing in to my shed to tell me where back wall is. The answer to your ? is yes and get it done while being buildt
AnswerID: 354343

Reply By: lozza - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 17:04

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 17:04
I have a Polaris system installed camera on the rear of the landcruiser for hitching by myself and a camera on the back of the caravan,its worth its weight in gold.
Had a wireless system to start with was useless caravan manufacturer changed over to the polaris system.
AnswerID: 354344

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 18:54

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 18:54
Wireless system didn't work for us either - too much metal in the caravan to distort or block the signal. The test one in the back of the tow vehicle was fine on wireless.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 622554

Reply By: Member - Richard H (NSW) - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 17:15

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 17:15
I've got a reversing camera with excellent audio and clarity.

Its a "Catherine" brand.

Dick
AnswerID: 354350

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 17:16

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 17:16
Same response to same question on another forum.

I agree that it is a good idea to get it wired when van is being built.

We have a small reversing camera on the vehicle directly over the tow ball. With a bit of practice, you can get right on the spot every time for connecting up, making it a one person job. On the back of the van, high up, we have a rear view camera.

I would not be without either. A great investment that adds to safety as well as giving you confidence in your overall view around your rig. The rear view camera does not replace good towing mirrors, just improves your view and largely removes the blind spot behind the van.

Brand of mine is Polaris.

Norm C
AnswerID: 354351

Reply By: GerryP - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 19:06

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 19:06
Hi Sue,

I agree with the others - it's a great investment for keeping track of what's behind when on the road.

Can I recommend though, that you spend a few dollars extra and get a CCD camera and not a cheaper CMOS job. The former gives a much better quality image. The CMOS is alright for occasional reversing, but if you have it on all the time while driving, the CCD is definitely worth it.

Cheers
Gerry
AnswerID: 354380

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 19:36

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 19:36
My $24 Ebay camera is still going after 2 years of being out in the weather so dont know why you would need an expensive one.
Even got water in it one time and after cleaning it out its still going.
Gives a clear view of whats behind us but I dont use it for reversing in to a park.
I still use the wide mirrors and firmly believe a camera is only an aid as mirrors are a legal requirement.
Do a search on here on Reversing cameras as there has been heaps of threads on the subject.
Cheers

FollowupID: 622560

Reply By: toyocrusa - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 20:34

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 20:34
Hi. I have a PSVT brand with a hard wired camera.The camera has a microphone incorperated so that anyone behind can give instructions as well as seeing the rear view on the screen. The receiver/video has a speaker incorperated. Cost around $650.00 but works really well. Bob.
AnswerID: 354403

Sponsored Links