Metal/Gold detectors

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 16:03
ThreadID: 66978 Views:3053 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
We are looking at purchasing a metal detector, mainly for bushwork, but would be nice to have the option of beachwork.
I understand that highly recommended Minelab's are like Toyota's with all the inherent prejudices, but I don't have a Toyota (well I have, but not a 4wd).
All other brands are obviously inferior, but to what extent?
I am looking into Bounty Hunter detectors, which seem good value in Forums, but the Forum views could be skewed by interested parties trying to sell products.
With the wealth of knowledge on this Forum, does anyone have first, or even second hand knowledge or experience, good or bad, with Bounty Hunter detectors?
Cheers
Ian
I'll get there someday, or die wanting to.

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 16:08

Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 16:08
Try asking the question at this link if you do not get satisfactory answers here.
http://golddetecting.4umer.net
AnswerID: 354937

Reply By: Member - Howard T (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 16:52

Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 16:52
HI Brushmarx
My son has a Bounty Hunter and a recently purchased Minelab 2100. He has found some gold with both, however I think the Bounty Hunter found gold close to the surface.
Depends on what you want to pay.
He uses the Bounty Hunter in parks etc with some success.

Cheers

Howard
AnswerID: 354945

Reply By: DIO - Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 18:59

Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 18:59
Whatever you use, if you can find junk with it (and you will) then you'll also be able to find gold, jewellery, coins etc. No need to get the top of range $300 - $500 should more than suit your needs. Or if money is a real problem, get one from Dick Smith or Tandy. More than suitable for the kids to just play around with.
AnswerID: 354965

Reply By: troopyman - Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 20:27

Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 20:27
With the land star at $770 in all metal mode you can find a 1 cent coin at probably 3 inches , penny at probably 6 or 7 inches . If you want to go deeper then something like a minelab explorer se is around roughly twice the price for twice the depth . You really need a detector with 12 volts to be any good .
AnswerID: 354988

Reply By: Member - Pedro the One (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 22:28

Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 22:28
Hi BrushMarx .....
I have both a MineLab SD2000 and a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV.
The SD2000 was from eBay for about $1200, likewise the Bounty Hunter almost new, too, was $135 from eBay.

First time I ever used my Bounty Hunter was to successfully locate a lost $5000 gold bracelet ........ they work !!!!
She was ever so grateful ??

The SD2000 has found near $20k's in gold .... they work , too !!!
And I'm off soonly looking for more .......

The hard part of detecting is actually "walking over the stuff."

For the record .... other brands are not neccessarily "inferior" - they are just designed to do different jobs, but "they will generally ALL find metallic objects."

My Bounty Hunter is primarily a back-up for the main detector, but is perfect for coins,rings, watches, jewllery on beaches, sportsgrounds, caravan parks ... and for clearing your yard of dropped screws/nails/etc.....

AnswerID: 355033

Reply By: brushmarx - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 16:37

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 16:37
Thanks for the help given
I went in with the intention of spending around the $1 000 area, which put me in the lower end of the Minelab range, but was convinced that a Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter 11 would do pretty much the same at just over half the price.
A part of the difference covered a 4" coil as a spare for the gold, so we saved over $300.
Cheers

I'll get there someday, or die wanting to.

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 355155

Sponsored Links