Black Wolf Turbo Tents

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 10:08
ThreadID: 67037 Views:5908 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all. We are thinking of buying a Black Wolf Turbo Lite Tent. We can't make up our mind whether to get a Ripstop Polyester or Canvas. We realise that the Canvas ones are a lot dearer but are thinking of the big picture regarding Condensation, wear and tare etc. If we decided to go with the Poly type would the Fly stop most of the condensation or would it just protect the Tent from the Sun, weather etc. We had a Aussie Traveller Roof Top tent previously and because it was Canvas, had no trouble with condensation, that is without a fly.
If we decided to go Poly, the Turbo Lite Plus 270 exclusive to BCF seems the best to suit our needs and our budget. We priced the 300 type at Anaconda and it was $450 extra in price, just for .3 of a metre length ways. Is there a lifetime warranty available for the Black Wolf range and what is there customer service like?
Your comments and advice please?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Kingsley N (SA) - Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 11:04

Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 11:04
We have the normal (heavy duty?) turbo 240. I wouldn't call it canvas, but more of a heavy duty nylon. There is no vent in the roof top so you do get condensation regardless of the fly. I think the "Lite" version has a vent. The fly is not a full cover.

Another problem we have discovered is in windy weather you must use the fly to enable anchoring the tent. If it gets real windy you discover that the little verandah on the front flaps uncontrollably. You cant roll it up or batten in down. We finished up lowering it so the front was almost on ground level and adding extra guy ropes to the two poles. Ours is a couple of years old and they may have changed the design.

Still, it is a good tent once you get used to rolling and packing it and keep an eye out for wind. Friends with the same tent discovered many punctures in the floor after only a few outings. Make sure you use a ground sheet.

Kingo
AnswerID: 355298

Follow Up By: richard - Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 18:35

Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 18:35
Interesting about problem in the floor.

I have a Turbo Compact abd had returned the tent to get some rips in the top fixed. I had only used the tent twice. They fixed it for nothing even if a bit of a rough job.

While checking it does not leak etc (it did at first) after the patched I noticed a rip in the floor of about 1 inch and another smaller hole.

I am not sure who caused these but can't prove it was them.

I have hopefully fixed the holes with VLP - BW recommended it and seems OK.

While rolling iy up (tjhe hardest part of the BW tent) I think I noticed some small pin prick type holes

So are the BW tent floors a bit thin? - When I have used it before I have used a ground sheet.

Richard
FollowupID: 623390

Reply By: RobAck - Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 13:54

Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 13:54
We've been using a 240 canvas for the last couple of years with not a problem. The comment regarding the awning is correct but easily fixed. We use an extendable pole with a spring loaded plastic X section at the top to spread the load and prevent it penetrating the awning. Stops the problem simply. The can be purchased from Polaris Innovations in Qld.

Apart from that the other trick is to use the normal springs on the end of each guy rope which certainly helps as well. Apart from that condensation is an issue with any tent we looked at. The trick is to get the best cross ventilation and to allow the covers over the screens to be open and allow the tent to breath a bit.

Great tent and with regard customer service our experience is much better than some of the oppositon by a long way

Regards

RobA
AnswerID: 355327

Reply By: Maîneÿ [wa] - Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 14:20

Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 14:20
Hi, I'm in a similar situation having sold the camper trailer, now wish replace it with a boat and tent.
I'm looking at the DMH range or tents as I just find it difficult to justify the huge price difference between the Black Wolf and the *same size* opposition brand tents presently available.

Dome tent-> LINK:

Image Could Not Be FoundMainey . . .
AnswerID: 355334

Reply By: chisel - Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 16:20

Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 16:20
We got the 300 lite plus from anaconda when they had 25% off tents. Makes it closer in price to the 270 from bcf.
Ours is great but needs the fly in the rain or it leaks a bit.

There's certainly plenty of space inside it. Condensation is not a big issue - but I couldn't say if it is better or worse than the canvas ones.
AnswerID: 355346

Reply By: LeanneW - Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 17:26

Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 17:26
We have a Black Wolf Turbo Lite 300 tent - we have used it twice, for a total of 6 nights.
We did get quite heavy rain for the last night, but there were no leakage problems. (We did have the fly on though).
We have just yesterday ordered a campertrailer (we decided we needed more room and storage for our growing family), so are thinking of selling it if anyone is interested.
Obviously it is in "as new" condition.
Leanne
AnswerID: 355355

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ [wa] - Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 20:28

Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 20:28
is this the tent in question?
Image Could Not Be FoundMainey . . .
FollowupID: 623552

Follow Up By: LeanneW - Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 21:21

Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 21:21
Yep, that's the one.
FollowupID: 623571

Follow Up By: PCXT - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 01:34

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 01:34
Thats not the Lite in the picture.

I may be interested if it is the lite version

FollowupID: 624877

Reply By: Lee & Eric - Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 14:12

Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 14:12
We have just gone through the process of deciding on which tent..Oz Tent or Black wolf - went with the black wolf Turbo 300 because of more space just a couple minutes longer to put up and had the fly included. Plus it was a lighter colour making it cooler as well.

the next decision was lite or canvas.

Having had a ripstop polyester tent for some years we decided we wanted the durability of the canvas. It was quite a few more dollars but we will have this for many years...even when we eventually get our camper we will need the tent for the 4WD areas where the camper won't go. So over say a 10 year period it worked out fairly affordable.

Good luck with your decision
AnswerID: 355452

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ [wa] - Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 11:10

Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 11:10
As you say: "Having had a ripstop polyester tent for some years we decided we wanted the durability of the canvas"

Did you have, or are you aware of problems with the 'poly' fabric?

Mainey . . .
FollowupID: 623629

Follow Up By: Lee & Eric - Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 00:49

Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 00:49
We have found no real problems with the polyester tents but after ten years or reasonable use, our dome tent has developed several wear spots, rips and is appearing thin in several places.

So for our next tent we decided to go with the 'canvas' option.
FollowupID: 624000

Sponsored Links