2000 Series 2 Nissan Patrol ST Wagon Engine?

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 09:52
ThreadID: 67060 Views:2736 Replies:8 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Morning,
Advice is sought from you guys in regards to my vehicle mentioned in the topic.
This vehicle has done very little off road work, and is a 3.0 t/diesel manual.
It has never missed a service and is at the least over serviced.
It has travelled only 136,000 klms and on a trip away the other day blew the engine big time.
I has now been towed to my mechanics workshop and awaiting info / advice on what to do with it.
Can anyone advise if this has happened to them and if so was it a new engine needed and did Nissan have anything good to say if contacted in regards to the matter?
Any kind of assistance / advice would be great, it will be all taken on board!
Regards, enjoy your day where ever you maybe.......
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 10:12

Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 10:12
Search this forum and the Patrol Forum regarding this subject and you will spend the rest of your life reading the sad stories regarding these vehicles.
There are thousands of threads on this, very few of them positive.

Probably you have holes in the pistons the same as everyone else.

Uncle kevvies $900 wont pay for even one of them and Nissan certainly wont be interested either if the other threads are to be believed.

Cheers

AnswerID: 355419

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 10:26

Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 10:26
Also rumour has it that Val Davis has left Nissan HQ so it will be even harder for a claim to be accepted by Missan :(

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 623457

Reply By: Willem - Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 10:13

Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 10:13
Nugget6

Unfortunately you are one of many.

You can search this site's Archives through its search function or you can Google it. Just type in ZD30 or Nissan 3.0 litre or something like that and you will find any amount of info

The Nissan Patrol with the ZD30 engine is commonly known as the 'Grenade' as it is likely to explode at any given time. Although Nissan has claimed to have fix the 'problem' in later models, some still fail.

Cheers
AnswerID: 355420

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 10:30

Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 10:30
Nugget I'm sorry for your issues with this engine.
The above posts have already given you the information you require regarding the history of this engine.

I still find it difficult to believe that you don't seem to know about the problematic history of this engine??

Don't people do any research into the vehicle they are buying??

People must be on another planet to not know that these engines are soul destroying.

Good luck with it.

Cheers

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 355424

Follow Up By: donks1 - Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 14:21

Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 14:21
G'day John

While i do agree with what you have said, regarding research, to be fair, Nugget may have bought the POOTROL new, and without any previous problems, has just found out the hard way what we now know.
If he bought it in 2000, there would have been VERY few reports of these failures, if any.

Donks1
FollowupID: 623488

Follow Up By: Member - AJB (VIC) - Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 20:21

Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 20:21
Hey John,
I went to the local Nissan/Holden dealer on Friday as I was considering trading the GU on a Colorado. Anyway I bought the GU from them and it imploded and had heaps of other stuff happen to it and I was talking to the new salesman and said I was thinking of trading the stupid Patrol, and he said "they are a great car!". I told him it was the worst car I have ever had and he said nothing ever goes wrong wiith them. It was like I had driven to a car dealer in Mars! I told him heaps had gone bang and he reckoned he had never heard of it. I was looking around for the hidden camera. Anyway the salesman who sold me the Patrol came over and had a yarn with me and I have no hard feelings about my saga with the thing but if the salemen still crap on about them then most of the public will be unaware especially as the general media seem uninterested in the subject also. What a great story for those stupid today tonight type programs but it is too hard for them.
Dont think I'll get the Colorado either. Sat in it and did nothing for me and a liittle overpriced.
FollowupID: 623547

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 21:52

Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 21:52
donks I understand were your coming from but even if it was bought new I would find it difficult to come to terms with any current owner of the ZD30 (particularly one who may have owned the car for 9 odd years??) not having heard about its issues somewhere along the line??

I interpreted the post as being he is somewhat surprised that this happened and is looking now to see how common the problem is??

AJB What can ya say!! Car salesmen Eh!!

This issue is a total $hit and I feel for those affected.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 623581

Follow Up By: HGMonaro - Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 22:12

Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 22:12
John, if you're not a internet person you wouldn't have heard of it (unless it your that has gone kuput). I know people with them and they've never heard of it. In one other thread about this I questioned just how many have happened as the documented list would probably be a drop in the ocean!

Nige.
FollowupID: 623584

Follow Up By: Nugget6 - Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 11:20

Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 11:20
Thanks Nige,
It was only a week ago that I was able to connect to the internet EVER!
Still have a lot to learn I feel with the www thing.
I cannot believe that there is so much bleep on these engines and that they are very unreliable. I have never had a problem with this vehicle until last Thursday, now it's a big problem.

John (Vic),

I bought the vehicle NEW and it wasn't till 2002 that the problem started so I have been told.

I have never heard of this issue with this vehicle until I spoke to the NRMA tow truck driver that picked my vehicle up & he recommended this site to me.

The research I completed was more than sufficient for the new vehicle when I was looking at buying it. You can still search this vehicle & find the "old" reports and test drives and how much they praise the vehicle. No mention of the engine issue in the test drives etc.., when the vehicle was new!

AND, I don't live on another planet, but I wished I did at the moment! Cheers..........

To all others that responded, thank you, I appreciate it.
FollowupID: 623632

Reply By: yakodi - Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 11:03

Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 11:03
Sorry to hear of your misfortune, after we amongst many others have gone down the same path. Nissan will view your car as a 9 year old Patrol, not as we may see as a low mileage diesel with a service history, that should do many trouble free kms. All the best with the rebuild or conversion. We just sold our rebuilt 3L GU and picked up an 06 4.2 GU. Had it only a week now but should have bought one to begin with years ago. It would have saved us a lot of grief and expense.
AnswerID: 355428

Reply By: Member - 120scruiser (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 13:00

Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 13:00
If you have a look at my rig picture, that is what has happened to yours. Very common. Give The Complete Engine Company in Victoria a call. that is who I used to get to rebuild mine before I sold my workshop. Best of luck.
Scott
AnswerID: 355441

Reply By: Foxhound (WA) - Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 20:21

Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 20:21
Have a look at www.complaints corner under Nissan Patrol, it`s enough to make you weep. No it makes you angry to think this problem has been going on for years and Nissan dosn`t seem to give a rats. Although having said that Toyotas LandCruiser 1983-1990s gearbox wasn`t much better.
AnswerID: 355509

Reply By: 4wdr - Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 20:41

Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 20:41
Mate im feeling your pain,i too have had that unpleasant experience seeing the road behind me disappear in a cloud of smoke.Nissan are not helpful at all as mine is an 03 and they didnt want to help.I ended up buying acomplete 91 GQ wagon and transferred the 4.2 out of that into my GU.Check out my post on this site i put on yesterday(grenade replacement)Hope that it helps.Cheers,
Paul
AnswerID: 355516

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 18:21

Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 18:21
How could anyone buy a new Patrol after the way they treat their past loyal customers?? What gaurantee is there that a new drivetrain will be any good if Nissan ever get around to bringing out a new model..... and back up... !!! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 355727

Sponsored Links