80 series & ARB Compressor Install Advice

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 13:43
ThreadID: 67066 Views:7776 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Any suggestions from Cruiser 80 series 1HD-T Wagon owners about the best location to install a ARB onboard compressor - to be used for activating air lockers front and back and inflating tyres?

Not sure where in the vehicle to install it - whether there is a commonly used position within the vehicle tha is out of the way?

This one has a LPG tank installed in the back where the 3rd row of seats normally sit i.e. sideways behind the 2nd row seats, between the wheel wells and behind that is room for a tool box and Waeco fridge....but not a lot else.

Under the bonnet is dual batteries - so again not a lot of obvious spare space left in the engine bay.

What do most people do? Is there somewhere inside the rear quarter panels with enough space and a good mounting point, or some other good spot I havent thought of that is commonly used?

Where for example do the ARB stores install them usually.

Thanks for any advice from those who have already been down this track!

Cheers!

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 13:55

Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 13:55
beside the brake master cyl, or under passenfghr seat or even in the 3rd row box that is in the drivers rear quarter panel plastic...you need a good easily accessable place for connecting the tyre inflation hose to the compresser. Also, some air locker compressers are rather small these days, just used for the lockers only...which do u have??
Andrew
AnswerID: 355446

Reply By: Member - Matt M (ACT) - Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 14:39

Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 14:39
Flywest,

1FZ-FE if that is any help to you. Left side on the arch, behind the battery.

Image Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 355455

Reply By: Flywest - Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 23:49

Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 23:49
Thanks guys,

Ended up putting it in the rear on top of the left wheel arch.

Inside the engine bay, ours has no room because it has both PBR Vac O.ride breaks AND the Diesel Gas Australia LBG conversion, so the usual space behind the 2nd battery over top of the wheel arch drivers side is all choked up with vac break controllers and LPG valves hoses and pipes etc - its like a jungle in there.

Where the LPG cylinder is in the back - there's good room for the compressor behind the seat, on top of the wheel arch.

I'll put a box over the compressor and LPG tank, and carpet it to match - and even found enough room up behind the rear bumper for a old fire extinguisher to be placed in there as a air reciever from underneat and the air hoses run to snaplocks in the front roo bar and rear bumper, for tyre filling duties.

We'll have to plumb the other air lines and difflocks solenoids later when we get the air lockers.

It wasn;'t as hard as I thought - the ARB Wiring harness makes it a fair bit easier.

Cheers & Thanks again - when i finnish it I'll try n get a few pics to post for others.
AnswerID: 355565

Sponsored Links