Challenger Owners: I have a few questions...

Submitted: Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 12:21
ThreadID: 67104 Views:2594 Replies:9 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hey all,

Looking at doing an upgrade from my current vehicle and strongly considering a challenger as a replacement. Just wanted some answers on a few quick questions though:

- Gearbox setup - what's it like? 2WD/4WD? Low Range? Don't think they have locking diffs but could be wrong...
- Can you fold the rear seats flat? One of the things I really like about my current runner is that you can fold down the rear seats, making it flat/long enough for a matress. Can you do a similar thing with this?
- Spare tyre location - where is it? Under the vehicle or in the false floor in the boot? If under the car, does it resrict clearance at all (ie lower than the rear diff)?

That's about all I can think of for now but I will post back if I have any further questions.

Cheers,
Jack
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 12:40

Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 12:40
Hey

The only thing I know about them is from what a old work mate told me. He said they are very very thirsty and won't get one again!

Can't help with the other questions sorry
AnswerID: 355639

Reply By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 13:27

Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 13:27
Basically they are a genuine 4WD with low range, no diff locks.

Not sure about the seats...

Spare tyre is under the rear, like the cruisers, but doesn't hang down anywhere near as low.

Try asking on the Pajero Club forum for more info. The moderator (Pickle) is a Challenger driver.
AnswerID: 355647

Reply By: flashcher - Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 16:30

Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 16:30
Hi Jack,
I own and drive one of these excellent vehicle's everyday.

I can highly recommend the challenger. I have owned mine for five years and couldn't be happier.
The don't come standard with locking diff's.
The rear seats do fold flat so a mattress will fit, just has the usual humps from the wheel arches.
The spare tyre is located under the rear of the vehicle but is not lower than the diff.
As for fuel, I am surprised by how little it does use. I am not the kind of person to sit at home to conserve fuel and will pop in and out all day if required. I often find that a tank of fuel will last 3 weeks if just running around town.
My hubby complained he felt a little cramped in the passenger seat so we looked at going back to a commodore wagon. We did the cost comparison on the NRMA website and it concluded it was cheaper to run the challenger. We solved hubbies problem by putting my handbag in the back seat, he was mumbling something about kitchen sink......
Hope this help and feel free to ask any more questions.
Michelle
AnswerID: 355705

Reply By: kend88 - Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 17:31

Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 17:31
Very happy with my 2003 auto V6 Challenger. 11-12litres/100km around city. 9-10 litrs/100km on a trip, 16litres/100km towing 1,7 ton caravan. Very cheap to buy used because of unfounded Mitsubishi poor reputation. But not much value when you want to sell.
My third Mitsubishi. Did 300,000km over 10 years in my first Magna, other than normal service/maintenance costs, cost nothing but one fuse.
Know little about 4wd but it seems to do everything the others do. Usually only use 4wd when I want to back the caravan up over the gutter and lawn into the back yard. oops I lie, did the Bloomfield track last year and the Kennedy Development Rd during a torrential downpoor and it was fine.
A good choice.
When/if I need to replace, will look at a diesel Triton
Ken D
Bris
AnswerID: 355716

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 17:37

Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 17:37
member Blaze will have his Challenger featured in the next issue of 4WD Action magazine and video..... He takes that thing places where even the full size rigs fear to go sometimes....

Roachie
AnswerID: 355719

Follow Up By: Blaze (Berri) - Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 11:49

Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 11:49
Just an update mate from 4WD Action its now the May issue. Have to wait mate always the best till last LOL..
FollowupID: 623850

Reply By: Kim and Damn Dog - Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 19:39

Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 19:39
Gidday Jack

I had a Challenger and found it to be an excellent car, particularly over sand country. Never had one problem with it.

You can sleep quite comfortably in the back depending on your height. The lift up rear door is good because it enables a tarp to be thrown over the back quickly in bad weather.

On my first crossing of the Simpson, some clown told me I’d need 200L of fuel. By the time we reached Birdsville I’d used 97L and was really gunning for that SOB. LOL.

The only reason I changed to the Prado was because I wanted a set of drawers and a sleeping extension. There was'nt the height in the Challenger to afford that.

Regards

Kim
AnswerID: 355746

Reply By: wigger - Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 21:41

Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 21:41
Sugar 05
the Challenger is based on the Triton chassis and has leaf springs on the back whereas the Pajero has 3 links with coil suspension and consequently a much better ride without the jarring that you get when passing over spped humps etc. Cart springs with bad handling characteristics and axle tramp are not things you need to endure when there is a better alternative.
AnswerID: 355773

Follow Up By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 08:55

Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 08:55
Challengers from 2000 onwards (PA model) have coil springs on the rear.
FollowupID: 623824

Reply By: Blaze (Berri) - Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 22:07

Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 22:07
You look like you have most of the info covered. Couple of things probably need mentioning. Spare is underneath but is lowered from inside the wagon part, so if you had inbuilt drawers they would need to have a removable one to reach lowering bolt. does not restrict like 100 yota.

They come with 3rd row seats which can easily be removed. In the rear cargo area there are some underfloor storage area's, later models have coil spring rear ends, same as mine. I have a front locker fitted and a suspension lift. They actually have more standard clearance than Cruisers or Patrols and a brilliant departure angle.

Has shift on the fly, auto hubs

Auto's are a little thirsty if towing, standard size tyres, no trailer and no roof rack, around 13ltrs per 100, Manual around 11ltrs.

If you want to see some stills and movie of mine, have a look at:http://www.4wdaction.com.au/shed/index.php?id=5085&im=1&spec=1

As Roachie said, I go lots of places the so called big rigs dont try.

Buy one and go have fun!!!
AnswerID: 355779

Follow Up By: Blaze (Berri) - Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 22:09

Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 22:09
Oops try again LOL

My Rig
FollowupID: 623778

Reply By: pickle - Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 22:24

Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 22:24
Third row seats!!!! Certainly not standard.
Had mine for over two years now and havent put a spanner to it besides regular services. Very reliable and underated vehicles. Mine has the coil spring rear end and Invec auto. Reasonably cheap to run and service. i am in a 4wd club and get out regular on the tracks and has never let me down. Very happy with mine!
Dave
AnswerID: 355781

Follow Up By: Blaze (Berri) - Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 11:56

Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 11:56
Mine is a 2005 model and had fold up 3rd row seats standard.

Seats are FOR SALE if you want !! LOL
FollowupID: 623851

Sponsored Links