Is the IFS Toyota any good off road?

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 20, 2003 at 18:33
ThreadID: 6711 Views:7629 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
How good is the new IFS Toyota Landcruiser? Currently I have an 80 series petol wagon 1982, with 50mm lift, and OME shockers and springs (light front, medium rear). We have done a number of the usual treks, Old Ghan, Simpson, Arkaroola, Kimberlies and intend to do more. Whilst the 80 series is still going strong, it is getting a bit older and I am toying with the idea of a new one, even though they cost a fortune. My question really relates to the IFS. Some say it is much better on corrugations. Is that true? I would like to have the same sort of lift I currently have but I have been told that the most you can expect is 40mm and that is only if the vehicle when delivered is at the low end of tolerance. If it is at the high end, no lift is possible. Is this the case? Are there any other options? Does anyone have any general comments. I know they are great for towing, but it is really the "offroad" stuff I am interested in. Look forward to your comments.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bob - Wednesday, Aug 20, 2003 at 18:49

Wednesday, Aug 20, 2003 at 18:49
Kevin,
on a recent trip we had three vehicles: Discovery, 80 series and an IFS 100 series (LX470). The TD5 has its solid front axle suspension well sorted and it handles and rides exceptionally well. The IFS equipped vehicle was smooth on all surfaces and eerily quiet, but didn't handle as well as the Disco. The 80 series was comparatively truck-like and rough. We don't do the rock crawling thing - just outback touring. While the 80 series would probably be superior in rock crawling situations, for our purposes the IFS car was much more useful (people drawing the short straw got to ride in the 80 series). In dunes, corrugations, floods the IFS car, even with standard ride height selected, lacked nothing in ground clearance or drivability. I would have no hesitation in taking the IFS car on tour anywhere in Oz.Bob
AnswerID: 28554

Reply By: haze - Wednesday, Aug 20, 2003 at 20:40

Wednesday, Aug 20, 2003 at 20:40
I have a disco tdi & a 97 hzj75 tray. I just wish the Toyota had the 4 wheel articulation of the disco,long travel coils on all 4 wheels.(Nissan has it with c/chas.)but something you just cant get with ifs.(unless its that us hummer or whatever it is!) Also show me an ifs which can hold wheel alignment, especially over the odd rock jump or two. And whilst on it, why the high lifts? Methink its only to impress the locals outside the pub. I have never dinged a sump yet but but that bloody diff banjo!!! Perhaps the only slipup was you didnt go diesel
I reckon any change is only going to be sideways.
cheers haze.
AnswerID: 28560

Reply By: Member - Bill- Wednesday, Aug 20, 2003 at 20:48

Wednesday, Aug 20, 2003 at 20:48
Kevin,

I had the opportunity to test a current GU (3.0di) and 100 GXV (4.2td) back to back recently over a pretty rough higher speed run (80-100kph). The Tojo definitely soaked up the corrogations better but wallowed through undulating country. The GU didn't like the smaller corrogations but handled the undulations and "whoop de doo's" much better. I figured the 100 series was set up softer. Also, the cruiser felt a whole lot lower to the ground at the front compared to the Patrol.

My take; if the worst you see is a relatively flat track with corrogations, Cruiser wins hands down.

Remember, IFS of any kind works the shocks hard (higher frequency of movement due to responsiveness) so go for good gear. Also, torsion IFS by design limits upwards travel and therefore lift.Regds

Bill
AnswerID: 28562

Follow Up By: haze - Wednesday, Aug 20, 2003 at 21:43

Wednesday, Aug 20, 2003 at 21:43
Bill. The frequency rate of any suspension is the oscillation times the number per min. If the shocks are stuffed, sure you get rebounds in between. But its nothing to do with the suspension system. Also a torsion bar is only a straightened out coil spring. There have been cars (not jap) with massive suspension travel from torsion bars
cheers haze
FollowupID: 19836

Follow Up By: Member - Bill- Wednesday, Aug 20, 2003 at 22:32

Wednesday, Aug 20, 2003 at 22:32
Haze,

Not arguing with you but in the cases of what we buy here Torsion bars are associated with upper and lower wishbones that pretty much fix suspension travel. Also, IFS has less unsprung weight than live axle, hence higher frequency rate and harder on shocks.Regds

Bill
FollowupID: 19839

Follow Up By: Wil - Thursday, Aug 21, 2003 at 06:53

Thursday, Aug 21, 2003 at 06:53
It is interesting after talking to a few 100s owners. It does seem a bit heavy on tyres up front..probabily with the IFS.
FollowupID: 19850

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Aug 20, 2003 at 20:50

Wednesday, Aug 20, 2003 at 20:50
IFS is specially useful for taking the kids smoothly to school..

IFS= Its For Schooling...
AnswerID: 28564

Follow Up By: Bob- Wednesday, Aug 20, 2003 at 22:33

Wednesday, Aug 20, 2003 at 22:33
I guess that means you can't afford one Truckster - if you can't have it, knock it!!
FollowupID: 19840

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Aug 20, 2003 at 22:34

Wednesday, Aug 20, 2003 at 22:34
I see it as foolish spending $70,000 on a car to scratch, etc..

If i was rich or money was nothing to me, i still wouldnt do it, as I like Coils, so much better offroad.
FollowupID: 19841

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Wednesday, Aug 20, 2003 at 23:33

Wednesday, Aug 20, 2003 at 23:33
Truckster,
that wasn't me above.
But I have driven IFS vehicles over the following tracks without glitch: French line, Mitchell Plateau, Gunbarrel, Ann Beadell, Ghan Rail track etc. So I wouldn't dismiss IFS out of hand.Bob
FollowupID: 19846

Reply By: Member - Russell - Thursday, Aug 21, 2003 at 20:18

Thursday, Aug 21, 2003 at 20:18
Recommend you check out recent editions of 4WD Monthly - they did a story comparing GU Nissan to an IFS 100 series, and concluded that the live axle Nissan was better off road because it got through an obstacle that the 100 series didn't - but it turns out that the Nissan got through because of its good LSD in the back, not its articulation. In fact, the IFS cruiser got further up their articulation ramp than the Nissan! There's a humorous letter in the September edition you should read, and next month (October) they are testing the Cruiser live axle against the IFS in the same model. Should be interesting and give more of an indication than comparing Nissan to the Toyota.Russell S
Prado RV6
AnswerID: 28643

Reply By: Member - Nigel (QLD) - Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 20:41

Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 20:41
The new 4WD Monthly (arrived today) has a comparison between the IFS and the Poverty pack Cruiser so all your questions should be answered. Haven't read it yet but the pictures show which is best - on road handling s definately IFS, offroad is solid axle.

Guess that's why I drive a Patrol with OME suspension - best of both worlds :)
AnswerID: 28783

Sponsored Links