Stones in A/C fan motor

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 20, 2003 at 21:30
ThreadID: 6714 Views:1668 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We recently went on a long weekend camping trip to Paluma in NQ and on our way home I turned on the A/C in our 99 petrol hilux and heard an awful rattling/grating noise. I promptly turned the fan off and the noise stopped. When I got home I had a look around and took the fan apart from in the passenger side footwell. It contained about 20 small marble sized rocks. A couple of the same rocks somehow ended up in the engine air cleaner as well. Anyone have any ideas how they got there? Just before the trip we fitted new yokohama super digger SD05's and I thought maybe they were throwing the rocks up, but I dont really know where the external air intake is to see if this is at all possible. The road was gravelly, but nothing dramatic. Has anyone heard of this before?

Shaun
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Slammin - Wednesday, Aug 20, 2003 at 21:48

Wednesday, Aug 20, 2003 at 21:48
G'day Shaun, I'm not much help except to say, no. Same model, year etc with Denso A/C extracab. Spent 2/3 of it's life on dirt lots of sand & gravel rds. I've had gravel everywhere especially when driving on flooded roads, still have gravel in the darndest places but not near the fan etc.
I'm pretty sure the intake is v.hidden up behind the dash near the windscreen wiper motor etc.good luck and don't forget to post any results.
BTW do you have a snorkel, was it wet, are the rocks definately from the same road and have you had the car since new?
AnswerID: 28567

Sponsored Links