Black Wolf Turbo Tents

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 23:06
ThreadID: 67169 Views:2163 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all. Thanks for your recent replies to my query. We have decided on the Black Wolf Turbo Plus 300 - Canvas. Can anybody advise us on the measurements of the front awning..300cm W x (?) cm L x (?)cm H.
Paying a bit more and going with the Canvas as it will probably last longer and there will be less condensation. What do you all think of our choice etc.
The Oztents are alright but as I am 190cm in height it was not suitable. You would think they would make them the same height as the Black Wolf(210cm).
I see you can buy an insect screened room for the front of the Black Wolfs as an accessory together with a front super awning which are far too expensive in my view.
Apart from the front insect screened room are any side or front panels available as an accessory for the front awning.
Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: chisel - Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 23:50

Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 23:50
I think the 300 plus in canvas will be bloody heavy (and expensive) but otherwise excellent.
I'm not too sure on the awning - it won't be 300 wide at the top though (maybe 200). I think the plus ones have different shaped awnings so you'd want to double-check before buying extra bits that are meant to fit.
AnswerID: 356003

Reply By: Ron173 - Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 07:18

Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 07:18
Great choice, you will be stoked with it, had ours a while now n always great when used. We looked at other one oztent or something but you HAD to have a roof rack for it

The turbo 300 canvas isnt light, wouldnt say its excessively heavy though, but its not exactly a back pack tent so you only really lift it out of the car / truck etc.

We have no extras, n fine heaps of space inside. If weather bad n holed up, we put those black mats down and we can put a table in and sit 4 around it, with bedding moved to sides.

Ron
AnswerID: 356018

Reply By: dionbremner - Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 09:01

Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 09:01
The ccanvas blackwolf is the only way to go. We were that close until we got a good deal on a Southern Cross.We had a 300 plus lite for a while - not good.
AnswerID: 356038

Reply By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 09:07

Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 09:07
I'm 193cm and have no problems with the Oztent ;-/
AnswerID: 356042

Follow Up By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 09:18

Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 09:18
Just had a look at the videos on their web site...

Couple of things come to mind.

The Oztent beats it by a country mile for set up time.

They claim you don't need a roof rack to carry it. Well, at 145cm long x38cm x 40cm it sure aint gonna fit in the back of my 4B, once I have the fridge etc in, so would still need a roofrack IMO.

Mind you, it's probably the best of the dome style tents I've seen.
FollowupID: 624029

Reply By: psproule - Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 12:33

Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 12:33
As stated in the other threads we have the canvas 300 - nearing 10 years old now. It has stood the test of time very very well and has seen a lot of use, including a few gale force winds. Any issues were very quickly dealt with by Phoenix Leisure Group (the importers) - eg they supplied and fitted well out of warranty a retrofit kit for the knuckles replacing the early plastic ones that proved a weak point in the field with stronger alloy ones. Some time later I managed through sheer stupidity to break an alloy one and when I went to order one (and admitted my mistake) they promptly replaced it for free and sent me a spare just in case.

Yes, it is heavy but not unbearably so - I can pick it up on my own and even lift it above my head to the roof rack. Setup time is very quick - we leave the fly in place when we pack ours - just unclip it at the legs. That means that to put it up you simply tale it out of the bag, peg the 4 corners, lock the legs and push up the middle, then clip the fly corners down. Takes about 2 minutes total. If it looks like being fairly windy then guy it down but otherwise you don't need to worry as the tent is free-standing. The extra room would add a fair bit of time though. Ok, it takes 60 seconds longer than an Oztent, but so what? Compared to a dome tent or the older steel frames you had to piece together, both a marvellous designs that save a lot of time at the campsite that could otherwise be spent enjoying things.
AnswerID: 356083

Follow Up By: chisel - Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 15:09

Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 15:09
The original poster is talking about the 300 *plus* which is quite a big bigger and heavier than the 300. At 30kgs I reckon it would take a fairly strong bloke to lift it easily onto a roof rack single-handedly.
I agree that it is quite quick enough. The extra room (I have the 300 plus lite) only adds maybe a minute - it's pretty simple.
FollowupID: 624121

Reply By: psproule - Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 20:50

Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 20:50
Ahh - missed the Plus bit - I didnt realise they made the plus in canvas. A friend has a plus lite - It's huge but does take a bit longer to erect.
AnswerID: 356179

Reply By: SimonR - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 11:57

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 11:57
Can't advise on Black Wolf Turbo, but Oztent for us was terrible. I've been camping for decades and have NEVER had the problems I had with my brand new expensive OzTent...Yes it goes up in 30 seconds + pegging down and packs up in about the same time, but ours blew down twice! almost blew away which was very scary! the second time the frame hinge snapped and collapsed on us. Both times a strong wind came up in the middle of night & we were unlucky that the slab front was facing the wind, the tent was solidly pegged down... we cancelled our Ningaloo trip a few days early & headed home, warranty fixed the frame and we sold it...........Honestly never again, gone back to the trusty low spec dome tent.
AnswerID: 358171

Sponsored Links