Dual battery setup in a 98 Prado

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 21, 2003 at 08:50
ThreadID: 6718 Views:2788 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G'Day all,
Has any on out there attempted to do this them selves, it's a 3.4ltr manual.
Tjm told me, l had to move the canister which is on the passenger side near the battery to the drivers side, but l am not sure what is needed to do this properly, all l want to do is fit the battery tray and save on labour costs and make sure the job is done properly and looks neat , l plan on getting an auto lec to do all the wirring, another reason is alot of the trays are only made a certain size and l would like to make my own out of stainless steel with rubber on the base to protect from wear and movement.
Regards & Happy Travels
Jason
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Outnabout David (SA) - Thursday, Aug 21, 2003 at 09:52

Thursday, Aug 21, 2003 at 09:52
Jason,

I have a TD now but from memory on my petrol one a couple of years ago the canister was put on the other side so I assume it was just a matter of finding a location and lengthening the vac hoses. Couldn't see you saving all that much money. Stainless is just an overkill. Can't see the point as your main battery cradle isn't stainless. Just buy a ready made unit and bolt it in.We have so little time to enjoy our land
AnswerID: 28593

Follow Up By: Jason - Thursday, Aug 21, 2003 at 12:42

Thursday, Aug 21, 2003 at 12:42
Thanks David,
The only problem with a ready made unit is they only suit an 8 inch battery.

Thanks for your reply

Regards

Jason
FollowupID: 19882

Reply By: Allen - Thursday, Aug 21, 2003 at 13:00

Thursday, Aug 21, 2003 at 13:00
Jason,

I just installed one TJM battery tray into my 2002 Pardo, it can only fit small size battery but installation is easy, all the bits are included, just be careful when you bend the metal pipe, I bended it too much and it is a bit flat now, stainless steel will cost too much and you will not get any benefit from it.
Allen
AnswerID: 28602

Reply By: Mal58 - Thursday, Aug 21, 2003 at 13:21

Thursday, Aug 21, 2003 at 13:21
Jason,
There are a number of options,

a) One option in the V6 is to replace the starting battery with the biggest battery possible (say a Yuasa Overlander 700cca), and install the existing battery in a cradle on the left inside mudguard where the carbon canister is at the moment. You then need to get the wiring modified to follow the existing battery as the primary battery,

b) another option is to leave the existing battery as is and have the second battery mounted in a cradle that sits where the carbon cannister normally sits on the left hand front inner guard. The carbon cannister is relocated to a spot on the
battery cradle. The second battery in the cradle is the same physical size as the original starting battery.

In my case, I bought a Kit from Opposite Lock. I use a Marine Battery as the secondary battery, it from memory is a 90Ah battery.

I did the installation myself, yes it was a bit fiddly relocating some of the pipework around the carbon cannister, but the kit had clear instructions plus all the bits needed to do the job.

Also, I suggest, that with a bit of effort, you can run the battery
cable (through the firewall (via the existing rubber grommet) into
the passenger compartment, along the internal sill channels (under
the plastic trim) into the rear compartment. Just make sure the lead
to the battery in the back is fused at the engine bay end.

Note : I have run a 8GA cable (6.5 mm), plus a number of other leads to the
back this way, and have had no problems getting it through the rubber
grommet or in the sill channel.

Cheers,
Mal58
AnswerID: 28603

Reply By: Jason - Thursday, Aug 21, 2003 at 16:15

Thursday, Aug 21, 2003 at 16:15
Thanks Guys,
Once again, this forum has been an excellent source of information.

Safe Travel & Best Wishes
Regards
Jason
AnswerID: 28611

Sponsored Links