Which aerial - tx3000

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 21, 2003 at 12:13
ThreadID: 6721 Views:2540 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys,
Firstly a big thanks to all those who helped me decide where to put the UHF in the first place.
My question now is which aerial is better? am I right in saying longer aerials are better over long flat distances where shorter ones are better for hilly country? does that mean a mid size (6db) aerial would be a good all rounder?
Also why I'm on the subject how important is it to run the power direct to the + terminal and the earth direct to the - terminal. Will it be a massive difference if I just earthed to the chassis and picked up power from the battery side of the ignition switch?
Cheers,
Justin
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Eric - Thursday, Aug 21, 2003 at 22:40

Thursday, Aug 21, 2003 at 22:40
Justin.
The story about different lenght antenas is a myth. Signal strenght is not the limitation of cb performance it is signal to niose ratio i.e. how much crap you pick up from your own motor. The most important consideration when mounting an antena is hight, the centre of the roof is best, if you can't do that place a bracket on you spare wheel mount to bring the antena up to roof hight. The simplest way to measure how well you have installed you antena is note the position of the squelch knob with the engine off and then with the engine running, the minimum increase in knob rotation is the best spot, Eric.
AnswerID: 28667

Follow Up By: Justin - Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 09:16

Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 09:16
Oh ok, so i'd be better off with a shorter gutter mounted aerial than a longer one on my bullbar. I don't have a rear wheel carrier so that option is out. That seems simple enough. not much antennae cable either. Thanks heaps. Hopefully I can get the thing in next weekend sometime.
Cheers,
justin
FollowupID: 19948

Reply By: 4by - Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 09:09

Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 09:09
Justin,
I got the GME 4/6db kit (interchangeable). The 4db is good for everyday use and also is better for low clearance (trees, or shopping centre car parks for those toorak tractors) however i find the 6db is very good around Brisbane and its hills and prefer it use it when i can.
But the point is, for the one price, you get essentially two aerials. Sweet deal!
AnswerID: 28705

Reply By: Member - Bob L - Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 12:14

Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 12:14
Justin.
Look at GME's AE4018k1 and mount it on the bull bar . This is a rugged 4.5 db ground independent antenna which will give you years of service and will not vibrate and shake like the wire whip equivelent.
A 6db antenna may work better in the flat country but try parking in the garage or underground car parks.
Had mine for 3 years no problems and yes I do sell them also. Expect to pay about $120.00
PS Wire whips tend to fatigue and break on corrigated roads. I also carry a small 1/4 wave whip in the glovebox just in case.

Cheers Bob

AnswerID: 28721

Reply By: Member - Nigel (QLD) - Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 20:38

Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 20:38
the gain of an antenna will affect the signal, but it isn't always as simple as the text books.

If you mount an antenna anywhere other than in the middle of a solid metal area then you'll get much more even coverage if you use a ground independant model.

For quality and performance I've found the Polar brand to be very good.
AnswerID: 28781

Reply By: Glenno - Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 21:58

Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 21:58
What i did for my setup was to purchase a GME 6db fibreglass antenna and a normal GME 6db stainless whip. I use the Fibreglass antenna base and can swap antenna's around. I leave the Stainless on around town as it doesnt stand out as much, and when I head to the bush i wack on the fibreglass antenna. On rough roads the fibreglass antenna doesnt resonate as much as the stainless whip does.

Cheers,
AnswerID: 28793

Sponsored Links