Just returned from excursion to bush with 22 kids

Submitted: Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 21:17
ThreadID: 67268 Views:2460 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Everyone,
I have just returned today from taking 22 students aged 8-11 on a camping excursion to Mulligans Hut for 3 days camping in tents. They had to put their own tent up, taught them to cook a bit, went bushwalking and usual stuff kids do when they go camping. It was great to introduce the kids to this type of activity some were going home to suggest they go back there for the school holidays. No one asked for TV, play stations etc having too much fum. I have to apologise to any campers there while we were there they did make a bit of noise while spotlighting at about 9.30 of course we didnt see much wildlife with all those feet walking around.
Some of the kids had never been camping, slept in a tent, eaten from a camp oven or even been bushwalking, some hadnt even slept away from home before.
Sadly we had some students who were not allowed to go, so they missed out on an experience.
I am looking forward to bed for a sleep but will do it again next year so the kids can benefit. Thankfully my hubby took three days off work so he could join me and the other staff members, he made all the difference.
Please continue to take your kids camping etc. as the life skills the kids who go camping had were so much greater than the kids who holidayed in resorts it was amazing even down to baing able to get their own shoes on
Barb
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 21:53

Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 21:53
You deserve a Medal Barbara.

I used to assist with taking Girl Guides camping some years ago. The first time, the girls abandoned the evening activities as they were so excited about sleeping in the sleeping bags and tent. The trouble was, we in the leaders tent had a good old yakkity yak until late, then tent A woke up and they talked for an hour or so, then tent B and so on. NO sleep all night, and still a whole weekend to go. Exhausting.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 356663

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 12:05

Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 12:05
Gday,
The standard first school camp here is to Simpsons gap.
Every now and then there is a new kid from the city.....do they get a culture shock.
They pull up in the bus, throw their swags out on the flat where its clear and get the fire started. No fire, no tea. There is one long drop but most the kids prefer to head bush. The poor new kids last to an hour after dark.....the shadows turn into snakes and they crap themselfes! Time to call mum!
Our kids grow up with swags and dust and are quite acustomed to takeing a dump in the bush. Its easy to forget, not all kids are the same.
Does them good I reckon, my kids love it.

Cheers
AnswerID: 356717

Reply By: Twinkles - Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 19:56

Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 19:56
That's fantastic Barbara. So rewarding to see the kids enjoy the bush and develop so many skills. I find the improvement in their relational skills makes it so worth while.
AnswerID: 356749

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 14:55

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 14:55
Hi Barb
Like the others above, well done. It gives you a great sense of achievement see kids having fun camping. When I was Cub Scout Leader for a number of years, its was great getting away with other parents and Cubs for camping experiences. Like all first timers, there would be a few tears, but they would soon forget home and be in there with all the other kids having fun. It was the exact opposite when it was time to come home, they wish they could stay longer.

What makes it even better, is many years later when the young cubs are now all adults, some will come up and thank you for introducing them to camping and all the fun associated with it.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 356865

Sponsored Links