low coolant resivor - nissan x-trail

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 11:15
ThreadID: 67291 Views:11666 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
G'day again guys,
after doing a quick check of my battery, oil etc of my new x-trail, i noticed that my radiator coolant in the resivor is on the MIN line, and about two months ago i got my 120k service, would it be ok to fill up the resivor with other coolant?
thanks alot for your help!
another quick question, would it be worth wild putting a bash plat on my xtrail aswell?

thanks
brenton
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ray C (VIC) - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 11:31

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 11:31
G'day Brenton, I would check to see what type of coolant your dealer uses. You don't want to mix coolants.
If your xtrail doesn't have a bash plate I would fit one. I would want some sort of protection under there. I depends how Off-road you go to . If you go through too much coolant check all your hoses for leaks.Cheers Ray
AnswerID: 356836

Reply By: mechpete - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 11:47

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 11:47
what ever you do DON,T mix coolants they are not all compatable
Ive seen what happens if they clash and its not pretty .
mechpete
AnswerID: 356838

Reply By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 12:10

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 12:10
If it's like my Pajero then it always sits on the min line when cold. As long as it drops no further it's fine. All that will happen if you fill it is when it gets hot all the extra fluid will be forced out the overflow. When it cools it will be back to the Min line ;-)
AnswerID: 356843

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 12:32

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 12:32
I agree 100% with the others.....never add coolant to your radiator unless you know for 1000000% sure that it is exactly the same brand as what is already in there.

Far better to top it up (if really necessary) with CLEAN rainwater etc.

Roachie
AnswerID: 356847

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 12:36

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 12:36
By the way.... I forgot to add that I STRONGLY advocate the fitting of a low water alarm to every vehicle .... Engine Saver Low Water Alarm

I have no interest in this business, just a very satisfied customer. Remember that if you suffer a split hose or radiator which causes the loss of your coolant, you WILL NOT see it register as a high needle on your temp gauge.... in all liklihood the motor will be cooked before you know anything about it. The Engine Saver will alert you about low water AS SOON as you've lost about 1 litre.
FollowupID: 624934

Follow Up By: Hairs & Fysh (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 13:15

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 13:15
Hi Roachie,
I second that, money well spent, They also sell now a Low Coolant Alarm that has a Temp gauge that gets it's sensor bolted to the is engine block.

Low Coolant Alarms And Block Temperature Sensors

So now Roachie, not only is there the warning of low coolant, if for any other reason the temp may rise, broken fan belt, seized water pump or clogged radiator there is an accurate temp gauge.

I don't have any affiliation with this company, I just believe they have a great product and highly recommend it.

FollowupID: 624938

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 15:08

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 15:08
Top it up with water. The Nissan coolant is a 33% mix of the concentrate in water, and the small quantity required won't make a difference.

Coolant should have been changed at 120k service. Keep an eye on it though - occasional reports of cracked heads in the Xtrail.
AnswerID: 356867

Follow Up By: BPR - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 17:33

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 17:33
thanks for the replys,
if there was any signs of a cracked head or heads, would the car be running ruff or just normal?
would it be an idea to put a little bit of water in the resivor, mark it on the side and see if it goes down?

thanks for everyones help!

brenton
FollowupID: 624973

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 21:28

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 21:28
Most likely your coolant level has dropped because there was still air in the system after the dealer changed the coolant, and that air has since been eliminated. That's why I suggest that you watch it.

But if it continues to fall substantially, then you may have a problem. If it doesn't change, then you're fine. The level in Xtrails normally drop a couple of centimetres every 20,000k.

Engine often runs normally with a small head leak. You just start losing coolant or the main radiator level drops or you see bubbles coming through in the coolant when the motor's running. The Xtrail forum has a few threads from people who have had this happen - not common, but can happen.
FollowupID: 625007

Reply By: ants_oz - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 17:32

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 17:32
It's an expansion chamber.

It is perfectly fine for the coolant to be at the "Min" line when the system is cold.

It's not a great idea to add water (or the correct coolant) to the system until you know what the level is when the system is hot. Not a 5 minute drive around the block, but a good 20 mins minimum at operating temperature.

It would be a pretty safe bet that when hot, your system is up around the "Max" line.

A lot of Eoropeean vehicles don't have "min" and "max" on the expansion chamber - they have "cold" and "hot" as it saves a lot of confusion.
AnswerID: 356890

Sponsored Links