Hooking up Fridge to Battery

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 13:16
ThreadID: 67297 Views:2572 Replies:2 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I have a Bushman fridge and I am running it directly off a 100ah battery via alligator clips to a female ciggie adaptor.

My question is can I put these aligator clips on my Commodore battery (in the boot) and just run the fridge off my primary battery so I don't have to use my 100ah when travelling?

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bomber_WA - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 13:29

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 13:29
Basically I want to know what this may or may not do to my Commodore's battery and will it run the fridge too?
AnswerID: 356854

Reply By: oldfart1953 - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 13:30

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 13:30
Hi Bomber,
female ciggie adaptor ??????

How are you charging the 100 amper?
Why not hook the whole lot when travelling, in parallel, then disconnect the 100 amper from your 'primary' when stopped.

Regards

Tony H
Hunter Valley
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 356855

Follow Up By: Bomber_WA - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 13:38

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 13:38
I'm not charging it, it runs the fridge over the weekends when I need it and just charge it in the shed at home.

How would I hook the whole lot up? I don't want a dual system because I will not be using the same car going away all the time (I have my car, work ute and girlfriends car).
FollowupID: 624941

Follow Up By: oldfart1953 - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 13:52

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 13:52
Gee you can tell I'm a non smoker!!!! ciggie adaptor = cigarette adaptor....who's the dummy...I'm a non smoker?
Be careful wiring going to the ciggie adaptor may not be heavy enough to run fridge properly & you will run the risk of damage to vehicle wiring harness & possible damage to fridge motor.
Suggest you run dedicated hard wired 'fused' wiring from primary battery to the fridge & auxillary battery then when you stop disconnect the auxillary battery from the primary battery.
It isnt real safe carrying a lead acid battery in the boot or back of a van/wagon you must be aware of hydrogen gas being given off from the battery during charging will go off with a BIG bang if there is a flame or spark....Make sure batteries are securely mounted & very well vented.
Be frigging careful !!!!

Tony H
Hunter Valley
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 624947

Follow Up By: Bomber_WA - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 14:18

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 14:18
My setup has a 20 amp fuse between the battery and ciggie adaptor - that should stop any damage to the fridge shouldn't it??
FollowupID: 624950

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 15:49

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 15:49
Take serious notice of Tony H comments.

Plus, please understand this........runnning your fridge from the car alternator (via the vehicle battery) when travelling is no issue as far as power requirements goes...your alternator wont even feel the load....BUT you need an understanding of the wiring requirements and current draw! + the safety factor that Tony H has stated

Your comment re "my set up, has a 20 amp fuse between battery and ciggie adapter" indicates that you perhaps do not understand what you are protecting ...or in this case with a fuse of that size NOT PROTECTING ..probably not either the wiring harness or the fridge

I dont know about Bushman fridge amps use but if it is not a three way (ie can use gas as well) then it would probably be using <5 amps when running....

these cigaret adaptors are often very lightly wired and I have seen them over heat and burn out...yes flames and melted wiring and plastic

make certain the wiring harness from battery to fridge is heavy enough (including the wires attached to the cigaret adapter) and I dont see the need to use more than a 10 amp fuse and possibly even a 5 amp subject to your fridge power draw on start up

be careful and if you dont fully understand it all then get someone who knows to do it for you
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 624958

Follow Up By: Member - Julie P (VIC) - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 17:15

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 17:15
We have a Bushman fridge - and it draws about 4.5 amps ph - depending of course on conditions - we have wired (heavy duty cable) a plug in point in the rear of vehicle from our second battery, and run this way - we have run the fridge on our nol 1 battery while travelling, but would prefer not to, as the 2nd battery is deep cycle - as someone said the wiring to cigarette lighters in vehicles is usually fairly light weight - and you do run the risk of burning it out - we did this when we first got a portable fridge - soon learned what to do and not to do. I don't know the technicalities, but Bungarra has put some good points to follow and know about in his post.
Jules
FollowupID: 624967

Follow Up By: Bomber_WA - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 17:31

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 17:31
Okay, I will show what I have got to an auto electrician. The huy I bought the fridge off said to use at least 6mm cable and by the look of mine, it is only 4mm.

He also said to have a 10amp fuse in there.
FollowupID: 624971

Sponsored Links