Canning Stock Route Feedback

Hi, not going myself unfortunately, but my dad has opportunity to travel the CSR and Gunbarrel highway with his brothers. Dad's 80 pretty fit for his vintage but had a hip replacement last year. They're all eager for him to go but I must admit that dad is not as hot with the idea and concerned about physical strain and wear on himself. Looking at going in june/july. Any thoughts. Thanks m. pudd.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - one way ticket (VIC) - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 17:49

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 17:49
tell him to have a great time, ( he will anyway )
AnswerID: 356892

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 18:18

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 18:18
m.pudd,

Take it from personal experience, the Canning Stock Route is not the place to be if you are not well.

I had a small cut on my finger from loading timber on the roof rack for the camp fire that night. Didn't take much notice of it, I have had cuts before but this one went very bad over night. To cut, (no pun intended,) a long story short I had 24 hours to get antibiotics or it would have been a helicopter ride out if I survived the wait for the rescue.

The Canning is not only tough on your vehicle but tough on your body, and if your dad has any doubts, after talking to his Doctor, he would be better not going.

On another trip I met up with a group near Canning's Cain. He had slipped and although the fall was not big he did have a few cuts and a suspected cracked rib.On the Canning that type of injury can be very painful.

Other people have done the trip and have not had a problem but is it worth the risk?

I know this is not good news but reality.

I would like to say go for it he will have a great time but no one can see into the future.

Wayne
AnswerID: 356899

Follow Up By: m.pudd - Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 14:19

Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 14:19
Greatly appreciate your very practical and down to earth comments. Access to and time lines if medical attention is required are obviously going to be the major concerns. Long periods sitting in a vehicle and wear and tear of a long day will undoubtedly lend itself to greater fatigue and risk of stumbles and other minor injuries that could grow into something greater. Certainly dad's dr has recommended he go for no longer than 3 hrs at a stretch without getting out for a walk around to help prevent DVT's but this is relevant to all travellers spending extended periods on their bums. Your comments will give us all a bit more to consider. Ultimately it will be up to Dad.
kind regards m. pudd
FollowupID: 627095

Reply By: Willem - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 19:25

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 19:25
The trek might be a tad arduous for your Dad. I speak from experience. I might not be as old as your dad but have had two knee replacements and travelling over endless corrugations can be quite tiring and even painful at times.

So he needs to give careful consideration to being in the saddle sitting down on 'orrible bumpy tracks for hours and hours and days amd days

Cheers
AnswerID: 356905

Follow Up By: m.pudd - Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 14:30

Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 14:30
Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I could well appreciate that weeks of thumping about could well and truly try the best of joint replacements and any extended periods of pain are certainly going to take the edge off any enjoyment had. Dad will certainly give most things a go and will walk kms but his determination to keep pace may end up being his achilles heel.
If he doesn't go there are certainly a whole lot of other things and places he can see.
Cheer m. pudd.
FollowupID: 627097

Sponsored Links