Taking photos

Submitted: Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 17:29
ThreadID: 67338 Views:3115 Replies:13 FollowUps:22
This Thread has been Archived
Going on from my other thread "Has anyone else had any problems...' -

I will be going on a 2-3 week trek from Tom Price to Murwillumbah via the Red Centre in mid June and wanted to ask others what is the best way to store photos? Seems there are a lot of different opinions on this! :)

I have a 10MP Sony DSLR with a 4GB memory card and 2 batteries along with an in-car inverter for recharging smaller gadgets! The card gives me about 990 photos on highest resolution. (jpg) As I do very little or no editing, I prefer to just use jpg and not raw files. Would another similar sized memory card or even a 2GB card suffice?

Any and all feedback welcome! :)

Cheers,
Anne-Marie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rod, Sydney - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 17:48

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 17:48
Hi.

Cards are getting cheaper by the day so it is worth considering an extra card just as you have purchased an extra battery. The bigger the better!

I would also back up your cards. If you carry a PC and card reader then back up the card to the PC and to a CD. Photo shops will also do a backup from card to CD.

Cheers
Rod, Perth

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 357072

Follow Up By: AnneMarie - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 08:02

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 08:02
Thanks Rod - as I won't be taking my 17" laptop with me, I think I will just get another 2 or 4 GB card on ebay. I recently had 11 days in WA without worrying about storage, so 2-3 weeks travelling should be OK with extra memory cards. And as you say, when in a big town, I can always go to a photo shop for a CD back-up. :)

Cheers,
Anne-Marie
FollowupID: 625273

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 17:48

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 17:48
Anne-Marie,

I do tend to take a lot of photos and the way I manage the storage of the photos is to down load them to the lap top. That frees up the card to take another 1200 photos.

Like you I have an inverter that will keep the batteries charged in the camera as well as the lap top.

When I get to a stop for more than a day or if I have a bit of time I would then check the photos on the lap top, delete the bad ones and even burn them to disc.

So far I have not lost any photos and it is a lot better to view the photos on a bigger lap top screen.

Wayne
AnswerID: 357073

Follow Up By: AnneMarie - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 08:05

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 08:05
Hi Wayne - Thanks for your suggestions. :)

I am not taking my laptop but my girlfriend is, so maybe I can pop them in a folder on her laptop. :) I will still take extra cards and just keep the photos on the cards until I get back.

Cheers,
Anne-Marie
FollowupID: 625274

Reply By: Willem - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 17:52

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 17:52
Anne-Marie

Seeing as I have just arisen from my afternoon Nananap, I shall respond...lol No doubt you will get a variety of opinions.

I have a 8mp Samsung el cheapo and Judith has a 4mp Sony Cybershot. We both run 2GB cards and a spare 4GB card. We carry 2 sets of rechargeable batteries and 2 x ac/dc Chargers.

We take Happy Snaps of our adventures and we are not so worried about extreme quality of the shots. I download all the photos to my Netbook Mini laptop every night, make copies onto a\the spare SD Card and then clear the operating SD's.

On our 3 month trek this year we will probably take around 5000 photos. All photos downloaded to the Netbook are put into folders and sub folders.

Cheers
AnswerID: 357074

Follow Up By: AnneMarie - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 08:07

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 08:07
Hey Willem! :)

With a long trip like that, I can quite understand making several back-ups and saving on the Netbook!

Where will your 3 month trek take you, Willem?

Cheers,
Anne-Marie
FollowupID: 625275

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 08:32

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 08:32
Anne-Marie

We are doing a trek through the Western Deserts and Pilbara region including theRudall River area.

Cheers
FollowupID: 625287

Follow Up By: AnneMarie - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 08:54

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 08:54
WOW! That sounds like an amazing trip, Willem!
Lucky you! :)
Cheers,
Anne-Marie
FollowupID: 625296

Reply By: Member - John and Val W (ACT) - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 17:58

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 17:58
Unless you have a laptop that can be recharged by your inverter, your cheapest option is to buy another high speed memory card or three. You will see much that will give you an itchy shutter finger, so its best to avoid disappointment by having surplus memory on hand.

Is there a reason why you are only allowing 2 - 3 weeks for your trip? What route are you taking, as there are a few options that take in the red centre?

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 357076

Follow Up By: AnneMarie - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 08:27

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 08:27
Hi John & Val,

As you have suggested, taking extra memory cards is the option I think I will go for on this trip. Easiest and most economical!

The reason this is a short trip is because my friend, Annie, has a house-sitting/B&B sitting job in Mount Warning for 6 months+ and she was planning to make the drive on her own from Tom Price across The Nullarbor and up to Mount Warning in a few days. However, when I offered to fly over to Perth > Tom Price (I am in Bowral, NSW) to accompany her on the journey, she was thrilled and suggested we make it a bit of an adventure by going through the middle of Oz, taking it easy over about 2-3 weeks. With a job to go to, she can't afford to dawdle too much!!!

The planned route at the moment is loosely something like this -

Tom Price > Leonora > Yulara > Ghan > Coober Pedy > Port Augusta > Broken Hill > Moree (maybe also Lightning Ridge) > Mount Warning - but that could change, of course!

I am also looking forward to seeing a little of the beautiful Kimberley's before we leave - I haven't been there since I was a teenager, travelling in a panel van with my (then) boyfriend in 1974!!!!! :)

It might be a shortish trek, but I'm sure it will be a wonderful adventure and a lot of fun for two old school friends who have just 're-connected' after 14 years of no contact since a school re-union in 1995 in Albany, WA!!

Cheers,
Anne-Marie

FollowupID: 625280

Follow Up By: AnneMarie - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 08:37

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 08:37
I meant the Pilbara, NOT the Kimberley!!! Too early!! LOL! But I DO love the Kimberley region and hope to go there again one day! :)
FollowupID: 625290

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val W (ACT) - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 15:26

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 15:26
Hi AnneMarie,
Short in time but long in distance - you will have a wonderful trip I'm sure. Unless you have a particular reason for going via your proposed route, you could do worse than ask the experience on this forum to suggest alternative routes. Also to suggest good camping spots that are suited to your particular mode of travel.
Have a memorable trip!
Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 625350

Follow Up By: AnneMarie - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 16:20

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 16:20
Hi Val,

Thank you for the suggestions! I will ask about camping spots for sure but as for alternative routes, I'll leave that to Annie as it is mainly up to her which route she wants to take. I'm just tagging along for the ride, really!! ;)

We will have a wonderful and memorable trip, I am sure of that!

Cheers,
Anne-Marie

Bowral, NSW
FollowupID: 625365

Reply By: Rossc0 - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 18:42

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 18:42
Hi Anne-Marie,

Get a couple of extra 4GB cards or one 16GB or 32GB.

We use a 16GB in the Sony A100 and on 10mp fine jpeg it stores 3800 photos.

Sony A700 raw mode the 32GB cards store 1650 photos.

Last time we were away for 5 weeks took 2500 photos on the A100 only so we usually plan on 500 photos a week when travelling but ours are both reference for artwork and high quality for prints.

As others have said download them to your laptop when ever you get a chance, quickest way is to get a card reader not via usb from the camera.

Cheers
Ross & Belinda
AnswerID: 357086

Follow Up By: AnneMarie - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 08:28

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 08:28
Thanks Ross - will give the card reader a thought too, along with the extra cards. :)

Cheers,
Anne-Marie
FollowupID: 625282

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 18:53

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 18:53
Hi AnneMarie,
we use SD cards (several - as they are relatively cheap), copy the photo's to the laptop, but don't delete from the card. We just use the next card once one is full. We do that so, (1) there is less opportunity for error (2) we still have a backup if the laptop happens to die for some reason (as it did on one occasion). Then as and when we feel like it, we burn a CD.

Enjoy the trip.
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 357087

Follow Up By: Rolly - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 00:03

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 00:03
Agreed.
FollowupID: 625253

Reply By: Rossc0 - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 18:59

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 18:59
Meant to add get one of these chargers:

Sony car charger

Then you don't have to worry about the inverter.

You can also get car power supplies for most laptops as well.

Cheers
Ross & Belinda
AnswerID: 357088

Follow Up By: AnneMarie - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 08:30

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 08:30
Good idea about the Sony car charger! Thanks for the link, Ross! :)

Cheers,
Anne-Marie
FollowupID: 625284

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 19:42

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 19:42
Hi AM

It costs a lot to get to the places, so i am paranoid about not losing my photos. Once i had my home computer and my laptop die on me in a short space of time, and although i back up frequently, i lost a lot of data (not many photos as i was not travelling at the time).

I travel with a laptop, and download the photos every few nights. They are then backed up onto a portable hard drive. I do not blank the memory cards until i have backed up to DVD or CD as well. When i do this, i make an extra DVD and post it home.

When we went to Tasmania, there was a problem with my laptop which did not get fixed in time. I have a folder of memory cards in my camera case, and would visit public internet access to download and burn to at least two different CDs before blanking the card.

I always take photos in maximum resolution. My memory cards are 2 GB at the largest - most are smaller. If a card misbehaves on you, there is less lost. Fortunately when we had trouble with the 2 GB card, my daughter back home was able to retrieve the photos.

The beauty of digital photography is that it costs nothing to take hundreds of photos. The culling can come later.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 357099

Follow Up By: AnneMarie - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 08:35

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 08:35
Hi Motherhen,

Thank you for your feedback and helpful suggestions. :)

Like you, I will take extra memory cards and always take photos on the highest res. which on my 4GB card gives me 990 images.

When my husband and I go on our planned around Oz trip in a few years I would definitely take a small laptop, but hardly worth it for 2-3 weeks.

Cheers,
Anne-Marie
FollowupID: 625289

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 14:04

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 14:04
Hi AM

I took 4,000 photos on our 3 month trip which featured 7 weeks in Tasmania. Although i downloaded regularly in Tasmania, for the four weeks return on the mainland i had enough cards until i got home.

Last year my husband also had a camera, so i can't even count how many thousands of photos we took. I had two cameras (nothing fancy), with the second one mainly for use when out on a boat or walking through water in case it got wet and ruined.

I still prefer a lot of smaller cards in case something goes wrong than using a big card holding a large slice of a trip.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 625337

Follow Up By: AnneMarie - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 14:10

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 14:10
Hi mumhen! ;)

I agree having a few smaller 2Gb cards - think I'll get a couple of those. I can always go to a camera shop for back-up when we are back in 'civilization'! *groan*!!! :)

Cheers,
Anne-Marie
FollowupID: 625339

Reply By: Member - Damien L (Cairns) - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 22:25

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 22:25
G'day Anne-Marie. I use a 4GB card in sony vid and 4gb in my canon. I download each night to laptop and to Flash drives. A couple of years ago I lost my photos of xmas with the grand kids and I said it would not happen again. On my PC I save all photos on 3 hard drives and 2 flash drives. I say you can't have too many back ups.
When I return home from a trip I transfer all photos from laptop to PC and all drives. It only takes an extra few seconds to do this and you know you many copies of your data.
Love the bush

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 357151

Reply By: get outmore - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 00:14

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 00:14
I use a laptop and ext hard drive.

i try not to get too may photos on the card. if you get back from your trip with a card full you may have a bit of trouble remembering where they came from (although all pics are dated)
if you create folders as you go and empty the card it will make things easier on you when you get back with each stage of your trip easily pulled out for show and tell
AnswerID: 357175

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 00:47

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 00:47
I agree. I download every night to my Laptop and then do a back-up to an ext hard drive. Delete the photos on the camera SD card. My 11MB Fuji has a 4Gig card that I've never filled in a day but if I was to use the film mode then there is a good chance I could. Save your photos whenever you can with as many back-ups as you can afford. Your photos and your memory will be all you're left with other than bills at the end of your holiday.

Enjoy and happy snapping.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 625258

Follow Up By: AnneMarie - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 08:42

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 08:42
Thank guys!

I will heed the advice and take at least another 2 memory cards with me. :)

I have to take as little baggage as possible as Annie is taking everything she needs in her Turbo Diesel Landcruiser for a 6+ month stay so there won't be a lot of spare room!!

Cheers,
Anne-Marie
FollowupID: 625291

Reply By: disco driver - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 01:00

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 01:00
Hi AnneMarie,

Without meaning to sound too negative, excuse the play on words, be aware that there are some people and/or communities that require a payment of a "Fee" before any 'images' may be made of people or places of significance.
Permission should be sought prior to bringing out the camera in any area where this may be an issue.

Disco.
AnswerID: 357179

Follow Up By: AnneMarie - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 08:43

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 08:43
Thanks for that bit of advice, Disco! Will keep it in mind. :)
Cheers,
Anne-Marie
FollowupID: 625292

Reply By: Wayne's 60 - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 01:12

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 01:12
Hi Anne-Marie,

We bought a refurbished Dell laptop off e-bay ($360) and a 12volt power supply to suit same ($20) as a platform to down load pictures from the camera on our last trip. We were able to view the images on a larger screen and delete those that were not up to (my wife's) high standard and burn them onto disc if the storage was under threat of being exceeded, camera used is an Olympus E-300 digital SLR and, I have no idea how many megapixa thingies it shoots at, but it takes BIG pics. Also used the computer with wireless internet for communications, e-mails etc and plan on doing lots more trips with this setup, hence spending the extra initially.

Enjoy your trip, yep ....... I'm jealous.

Cheers,
Wayne & Sally.
AnswerID: 357180

Follow Up By: Wayne's 60 - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 01:16

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 01:16
PS. With the computer on board you could add a GPS mouse, Ozi Explorer and a good set of maps........... budget permitting of course .... :-}

Cheers,
Wayne & Sally.
FollowupID: 625260

Follow Up By: AnneMarie - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 08:47

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 08:47
Hi Wayne,

On a longer trip, a small laptop with all the gizmos would definitely be the go! I wish I could take my laptop but it is just to damned big at 17" and over 3 kgs!!!

My husband has already sent loads of Aussie Hema maps to Annie on a CD and is lending us his Navman with all the Ozi Explorer maps loaded! :)

Cheers,
Anne-Marie
FollowupID: 625294

Reply By: Russ n Sue - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 01:15

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 01:15
Hi AM

I am even more paranoid than Motherhen. I download the photos from the camera card to an external hard disk drive. I then back those photos up to a second external hard disk drive. I don't erase the photos from the original camera card until I am convinced that both copies made to the external drives are intact.

I do this because I do not wish to clog up the hard disk inside my laptop with photos and because large capacity external drives are so cheap these days.

You can get external drives that need nothing more than a USB connection (no 240Volt power required) but these are usually around 100 Gigabytes in capacity. Larger drives usually have a requirement for 240 Volts and may or may not run from a modified sine wave inverter. (They will run perfectly from a true sine wave inverter.)

A 100 Gb drive will store many thousands of hi res photos.

I no longer back up to optical disks (CD or DVD) as these are relatively low capacity, are not all that reliable (it only takes one scratch and the photos are gone), are clumsy to store, don't like heat much and definitely shouldn't be left in strong light for too long. Additionally, burning disks uses quite a bit of your laptop's power and if you are rationing power this could be an issue.

Even though several of the previous posts emphasise taking lots of photos and sort them out later, try to make every photo a winner. This will improve your technique as well as making the job of sorting the photos out a lot simpler later on.

Good luck with your trip and may the weather, just for once, not be rainy at Mt Warning so that you can climb the bugger. The last three times I've been there it has been pouring.

Cheers

Russ
AnswerID: 357181

Follow Up By: Russ n Sue - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 01:28

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 01:28
Oops, just re-read my post and realised that I implied that Motherhen was paranoid....not my intention. Motherhen is very cautious and I am paranoid....lol.

Cheers

Russ
FollowupID: 625264

Follow Up By: AnneMarie - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 08:53

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 08:53
Hi Russ,

Thank you very much for all your suggestions and good wishes!

I am sure we'll have a fabulous trip and as you say, take the best photos possible and not dozens of the same thing! I usually go back over them later in the camera and trash the ones I am not happy with! Saves a lot of editing later! LOL!

Cheers,
Anne-Marie

P.S. My husband recently bought us each a 1TB (terra byte!) external hard drive that we back up our laptops to regularly.
Well worth the sale price at Hardly Normal!!! ;)
FollowupID: 625295

Sponsored Links