CSR - Stocking the fridge

Submitted: Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 19:11
ThreadID: 67342 Views:2815 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Everyone

We are new to the world of long term camping and travelling in the desert environment so have a few questions that all you experienced travellers I am sure you can help with. We are coming from Tassie so need a little guidance.

1. Cryovak meat - where is the closest butcher to Wiluna, coming from Kalgoorlie, that can do this?

2. At the other end is there a butcher that does the same in Kununurra?

Looking forward to hearing from you and no doubt will have some more question

Cheers

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kim and Damn Dog - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 19:28

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 19:28
Gidday

This may not be all that much help to you, but there is a butcher in Boulder who supplies magnificent beef and will cryovak it for you.

Someone in Kalgoorlie/Boulder may know who I’m speaking of.

From there to Wiluna I don’t of anyone in the towns who can help you, apart from the possibility of Leonora.

Regards

Kim
AnswerID: 357093

Follow Up By: Kirko2 - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 19:40

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 19:40
Thanks Kim

I will try the Yellow pages maybe that will answer the question.

cheers
FollowupID: 625172

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 19:38

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 19:38
Kirko,

Most of the butchers in bigger towns of outback Australia will cryovac meat, some of the supermarkets have it on the shelf.

Places that are good for shopping,
Kalgoorlie
Menzies
Leonora
Leinster

Be warned most of the towns are closed for shopping on weekends.

I have had red, boneless meat for over 12 weeks and it has been OK.

I have also found that white meat or meat with a bone will not last as long and should be consumed first.

When you get to Kununurra there are plenty of butchers that will or have cryovac meat.

Wayne
AnswerID: 357097

Follow Up By: Kirko2 - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 19:42

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 19:42
Wayne,

Answered the questions all in one - thank you very much and as I have said to Kim will search the Yellow Pages for and butchers. Thanks for the warning on being closed on weekends - thats something to get used to again.

cheers
Kirko
FollowupID: 625173

Reply By: Member - John and Val W (ACT) - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 19:40

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 19:40
Dont know about the southern end, but you will be able to get vacuum packed meat in Kununurra, though expect to pay fairly steep prices. Another alternative is to get your own vacuum packing machine and carry it (plus spare bags) with you. That way you can pack what you want when its convenient to you, provided that you have access to 240v power. Red boneless meat will keep for up to 6 weeks, somewhat less for pork, chicken and fish.

Have a great trip,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 357098

Follow Up By: Holden4th - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 20:38

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 20:38
Yes, your own vacuum packer is the answer and they are not that expensive when you consider what you would have to pay if you buy meat in outback areas and then ask for it to be crovacked. At a dollar a bag for a couple of steaks/chops/etc this quickly becomes very expensive.

I buy my meat in bulk, vacuum pack and freeze it. This goes into my car fridge in the freezer section and I take out what I want the day before cooking and let it thaw. When I eventually run out of meat (or come close) I stop in a place where it's not too expensive and again use the vacuum packer, then feeze it so the cycle continues.
FollowupID: 625193

Reply By: mechpete - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 20:10

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 20:10
hi .
there is a butcher in Kununara that cryovacs for sure ,
there would have to be one in kalgoolie its a town of 20k !!people
mechpete
AnswerID: 357103

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 21:55

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 21:55
Hi Kirko

Don't forget to have back up supplies of non refrigerated goods such as tinned and dried products.

Enjoy your trip - what a contrast from beautiful and water rich Tasmania.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 357134

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 00:58

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 00:58
We found the meat prices in Kununurra to be pretty good and the beef was good quality as you'd expect. Think it cost us 50c per cryovac pack extra.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 357178

Sponsored Links