trailer hubs

Submitted: Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 21:16
ThreadID: 67350 Views:3087 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I am trying to establish what hubs I have on my trailer so I can buy some bearings, but even after searching, I am yet to find a definitive way to tell.
I have learnt from hours of trolling various archives and websites that they are either holden or ford hubs.
Great, but which?
Every site or bit of advice I have been given seems to conflict or just be downright ridiculous.
Is there a definitive way to tell.

Just as a start it is a camper trailer with 6 studs and what appear to be the standard steel rims on a Nissan patrol.

Just to "wave a rag at a bull" - they have Cooper St's fitted.
(I run BFG's - its just what the trailer mob put on for me)

Seriously though if anyone can offer some constructive advise please let me know.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 21:21

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 21:21
Have you called the trailer manufacturer to ask them??

If they are unable to help it may pay to remove the bearings and get a bearing place to match them for you.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 357123

Reply By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 21:21

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 21:21
Brian,
Can you take the bearings and seals out of the hub and have them measured by a bearing place?

Or maybe even just take a hub assembly to the bearing place.

With a couple of measurements they should be able to use their experience to tell you exactly what you have.

Geoff

Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 357124

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 21:32

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 21:32
Take the hubs off and clean the edges of the inner bearings.
(Meaning the small bearings on the innner and outers of the hub)

They should have the numbers on them that a bearing place will recognise.

FollowupID: 625217

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 21:31

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 21:31
Briann!! They will almost certainly be slimline ford. Timkin kit number is KIT 6015T. You could spend 5 minutes and remove the front cone and write the number down and check in supercheap or a bearing company and cross reference the number. Dont buy the $10 chinese kit, pay $15 and get Timkin or any other jap brand is ok. Not hard really!! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

AnswerID: 357126

Reply By: ants_oz - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 07:47

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 07:47
Being 6 stud, they will likely be ford bearings - holden bearings in 6 stud hubs are uncommon at best.

Easiest way to determine is what has already been suggested - remove the axle cap, castelated nut, plit pin and washer. Wipe the facing surface of the outer bearing and there will be a code stamped on it. That code is unique to the style of bearing.

And DEFINITELY buy decent bearings. They are cheap insurance.

When I was in the marine industry I would see people go to great lengths to try and remove the need for bearing maintenance. Nothing beats stripping and repacking the bearings and hubs once a year.

Oh, and bearing buddies are your worst enemy :-)

Anthony
AnswerID: 357194

Reply By: ozjohn0 - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 13:17

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 13:17
If the axle is bigger than about 45mm and the hub has 6 studs with Patrol Wheels, I'll bet they're not Holden style or Ford Slimline Style Bearings.
More likely a 1600kg axle with Parallel Bearings (A Style of bearing which is not actually Parallel) such as used in Toyota Landcruisers etc..
As you're taking them out anyway. Go off to the local Bearing Outlet for confirmation.
ozjohn.
AnswerID: 357250

Follow Up By: Krakka - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 19:59

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 19:59
T Van uses a Ford bearing but same size inner as outer bearing, what you would call parallel I guess.

Krakka
FollowupID: 625423

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 15:07

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 15:07
If you do not want to remove the hubs to find out you will have find out who manufactured them. If they were made by Al-Ko then you will find them identified here Site Link

If they are Trojan try Site Link

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 357264

Sponsored Links