Gasmate 3 way fridge problem

Hi All

I've been given a Gasmate 3 way fridge. It's only about a year old and it works well on gas, keeping things cold in weather up to 30 about degrees. It's not much chop after that though - not a Chescold.

There is a problem with the fridge, as it won't work on 240V. I plug it in and turn it on, but the element won't heat up. The red power light comes on, so current is getting through to there.

I am pretty experienced with 3 way fridges and their quirky behaviour (as I have had a Chescold in the past), so what I want to know (before I pull it apart) is if anyone thinks it would be anything other than the 240V element ? Please remember it works well on gas, so the basic refrigeration system is intact and all wiring seems intact also.

Cheers, Will
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: A J - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 17:34

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 17:34
ozwasp - either wire broken or element blown. "element won't heat up" say something.

A J
AnswerID: 357486

Reply By: Tenpounder - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 18:22

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 18:22
Hi there. Only two comments: what about the 12V circuit - does that operate? and particularly is there something in the system that stops the fridge working on more than one energy source at once? I haven't a clue about the Gasmate, but surely there must be a presuure switch that detects gas pressure and won't allow the electrical options to cut in (or vice versa)? Only a thought, but last time I replaced an element it relieved me of $150, which is OK if it fixes the thing, and a PITA if it doesn't.The reason I mention the 12v circuit is that it would be a bit unusual for both electrical components to fail in only a year, surely.
Anyway, that's my contribution to the brainstorming.
Chris
AnswerID: 357496

Follow Up By: ozwasp - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 21:08

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 21:08
It does work on 12V, but as with most 3 way fridges is useless through the provided cable. The 12V system also bypasses the thermostat and goes straight to the element (same as chescold's). Also, I'm pretty sure there's no pressure switch to prevent dual energy use, as it does say not to on the back.

I did ring the supplier (Sitro) and they weren't too sure without looking at it. They did quote me around $25 including post for a new 240V element (a lot cheaper than Chescold's), but thought I'd get a 2nd opinion before I goto the trouble.
FollowupID: 625635

Follow Up By: Tenpounder - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 23:03

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 23:03
Thanks for the courtesy of feedback to my suggestions. Sounds to me that you've reached a rational conclusion. I suppose you could run a continuity test across the active and neutral (preferably with the fridge unplugged from the mains!!). At least if there is no current flow, it strengthens the odds that its the element. But $25 is a lot better that the Dometic/Electrolux price, eh?
Chris
FollowupID: 625665

Follow Up By: Tenpounder - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 23:40

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 23:40
Sorry - should have said "that it is the element or the thermostat, including (if fitted) the thermocouple". Clearly, if the power switch works OK, and the current doesn't flow, there could be an open circuit due to a break, or the open circuit could result from the thermostat opening/sticking open.
FollowupID: 625671

Reply By: Member - Fred G NSW - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 19:30

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 19:30
Ask the bloke that "Give" it to ya...he may know ????? LOL LOL
AnswerID: 357512

Sponsored Links