What is the best way to eradicate wild pigs.

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 19:40
ThreadID: 67422 Views:5918 Replies:25 FollowUps:32
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all ,

Wild pigs appear to be coming closer and closer to our cleared area on our bush retreat and causing havoc with the lawn and garden. Today I found a large area (about 4 m x 5m) that you would swear had been rotary hoed – pigs rooting around to eat the grass roots etc. I do not live at the farm full time and I do not have a gun (and don’t particularly want to go down that track of buying a gun, getting a license etc etc). There are probably pig shooters around but I don’t want to give access to my property to strangers to be there when I am not there. Any suggestions on how to eradicate them would be welcome.

Cheer,
GPM
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 20:02

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 20:02
Hi GPM

There may be a local gun club who may be pleased to organise a weekend 'shoot' - perhaps at a time when you are there.

Have you contacted your Agricultural Protection/ Department/ Bio Security or what ever they call themselves in your state? They should have plans to eradicate feral pests.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 357519

Reply By: Krakka - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 20:02

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 20:02
Hi GPM, I would happily oblige but too far away from Adelaide.
But seriously are there any neighbours close by to your block that may be willing to help out. National parks rangers or game management board may be able to point you in the right direction. Baiting is also very succesful, the above may also be able to help you in that area also.

Cheers

Krakka
AnswerID: 357520

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 20:05

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 20:05
Hi

wild pigs are relatively easy to trap and to poison

Trap designs are varied but basically the same concept. The idea is to free feed for a while so as they become accustomed to it and then "set" it. If you need a drawing design I will see if I can send you one...a simple drop down door is one and another is more like the crayfish trap concept but side on if that makes sense. Apples are often used for the bait

Likewise poisoned apples for the other method...but you most likely will need a permit for the 1080 (in WA for sure) don't know about the rest of the states.

I wouldn't recommend any shooting ...you might get a couple and maybe scatter the rest of the mob...also wouldnt tell the locals too much because the yahoos with their dogs may descend upon you ...perhaps....
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 357521

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 20:08

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 20:08
try this site link

www.agric.wa.gov.au/content/pw/vp/fer/fn036_2003.pdf

cheers
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

FollowupID: 625619

Follow Up By: Saharaman (aka Geepeem) - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 20:25

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 20:25
Thanks i will have a look at that link.

I thought about poisoning but feared other wildlife like possums may also eat the bait 9such as an apple) and die.

Cheers
,GPM
FollowupID: 625624

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 23:22

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 23:22
A roll of steel mesh is all you need.
FollowupID: 625668

Follow Up By: Mad Cowz (VIC) - Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 20:31

Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 20:31
like JohnR said and a number of star pickets.
We found this to be the most effective way, many more pigs than shooting got. The neighbour got 5 the first night without free feeds.

arrange the mesh in a ring with a metre or so each end bent inwards.
overlap the pointy ends of the mesh so that once a pig forces it's way in it can't get out. hold it up with a number of star pickets so the little buggers can't knock it over.

you will then need some way to humanely kill them, ask a neighbour, they might be happy to help.......

MC
Carpe Cerevisi

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 625835

Reply By: Kim and Damn Dog - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 20:10

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 20:10
Gidday GPM

You’ll need to give us a bit more information than that. How big is the property, and distance from a settled area? What stock are your neighbours running?

Unless some bright spark has come up with a new idea, the only choices open to you are shooting, trapping or poison (or a mixture of the three).

Regards

Kim
AnswerID: 357524

Follow Up By: Saharaman (aka Geepeem) - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 20:20

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 20:20
Kim,
The property is 160 acres with about 100 acres of rainforest and dense lantana and about 50 acres of land that was cleared years ago but at present contains thick grass and regrowth. Most of the country is very steep with some gorges and waterfalls. What I am saying it is that parts are presently impeniterable even on foot unless you hacked a path with a cane knife etc. These dense areas are where the pigs go during the day.
there is little fencing between properties - except 2 door down the owner has cattle and is fenced. The property is about 7 km by windy road to a little township - probably about 4 km in a direct line.
I thought about poisoning - like using apples but fear other wildlife like possums would also eat and die.

Thanks everybody for your comments thus far.

Cheers
GPM
FollowupID: 625622

Follow Up By: Kim and Damn Dog - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 21:44

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 21:44
Gidday GPM

If it’s the sort of dense country you describe, then it will almost be impossible to eradicate the pigs. In heavy country like that, it’s a waste of time trying to shoot them out.

Without being there, it’s hard to give any further advice. I’d be more inclined to seek out a fella who knows the animal well in that country, and take heed of his recommendations.

There have been some improvements in baiting technuies but that alone won't control pigs. Their a pretty intelligent animal.

I’ve come across Doggers down here in the high country that are attempting to get the wild dogs under control, but not having much luck in most areas.

At the end of the day you’ll have to choose between possums and pigs I guess. Pigs are mongrel of thing, and I don’t think many people realize how much damage they do. Good luck.

Regards

Kim
FollowupID: 625642

Follow Up By: Saharaman (aka Geepeem) - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 21:50

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 21:50
Thanks again for your comments Kim,
See Reply 10 below. there is an excellent link there to Qld DPI fact sheet.
I am inclined to try baiting now that I know I can use fermented grain buried in the ground - and its unlikely other animals will access it.

Anyway I will talk to the local DPI office and see if I can access some 1080.

Cheers
GPM
FollowupID: 625644

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 20:15

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 20:15
Gday,
Just let Handy know! He'll eat the bloody lot!!

If they dont eat him first....Hahahahahaha.
AnswerID: 357526

Reply By: Member - Jack - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 20:19

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 20:19
A lot of the wild pigs are sent to Germany after they have been shot. I saw something in tv recently that said it was "big business".

Just sowing a seed of thought.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

AnswerID: 357532

Follow Up By: Saharaman (aka Geepeem) - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 20:28

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 20:28
That is an interesting suggestion, Jack. I will do some research and see if I can find anyone in SE Queensland that is in to exporting them. If so they may be prepared to come and catch some of mine.

Cheers
GPM
FollowupID: 625625

Follow Up By: Rosco - Qld - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 22:22

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 22:22
Not quite that easy GPM

The DPI fellas check the liver, which must be left in place.
Often wild pigs are full of worm ... big ones have to be penned and fed for a while to purge. Little ones different matter.
But in any case, for a casual 1-2 off ... generally not worth it.

Cheers
FollowupID: 625652

Reply By: Gramps - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 20:29

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 20:29
Talk to your local walloper (police) and ask for the contact details of your nearest "professional shooter" in the district. He may just add your property to his "run".

AnswerID: 357534

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 23:26

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 23:26
Al, shooters don't ever seem to get the last ones, let alone the major group of anything, from rabbits to foxes or pigs. Setting a trap seems the best way.
FollowupID: 625669

Follow Up By: Gramps - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 23:32

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 23:32
JohnR,

LOL they are'nt going to do themselves out of a living by completely eliminating the pests are they :))

The pros I know use traps as well. Much easier to shoot in a confined space. They'll take all they can, without wiping them out, as each one is $$$s to the pro.

Realistically, there is NO way to eradicate them, only control their numbers somewhat. GPM better get used to it.

FollowupID: 625670

Reply By: Lotzi - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 20:30

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 20:30
G'day GPM

I lived over on Moreton Island around Expo time and I saw what the rangers had to go through, they didn't have much success as the buggers are pretty intelligent.

I have also seen what happens up in the Savannah Country and the Cape, It seems that until they take the bull by the horns and have a decent hunt as with the Brucellosis (spelling) in the Territory will they half succeed.

In the end, maybe stop listening the the greenies and get out and do the job.

I think from last count there were around 20 mill feral pigs in good ol Oz, that's apart from the other species.

Off the soap box, grrr.

Cheers
Lotzi
AnswerID: 357535

Reply By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 20:39

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 20:39
Well, how radical (or dangerous) do you want to be ?
From a 'Good Keen Man' bushman's book;
Leave a few potatos scattered about near the edge of the bush for several days, the pigs will love them. Then bury a detonator in each of the next lot of potatos. You should hear a few bangs during the night - problem solved :-))

AnswerID: 357537

Follow Up By: walruz - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 22:00

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 22:00
Love Barry Crump :-)
FollowupID: 625647

Follow Up By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 23:02

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 23:02
Hi Walruz, Now, if we could just do the same with opossums :-))

FollowupID: 625664

Reply By: Member - Ed. C. (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 21:04

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 21:04
Some info here from the DPI, which may be of assistance...

Feral Pig Control

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 357548

Follow Up By: Saharaman (aka Geepeem) - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 21:21

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 21:21
There is some good info on that Link. Thanks Ed.
I think baiting is the most feasible for our property now that I understand that I can use fermented grain laced with 1080 that is unlikely other animals will eat - especially as it can be buried and apparently wild pigs will dig up baits.
I am happy to use baits as long as the risk to native animals is non existant or very unlikely (although the little blitters are eating my bananas and pawpaws before they are ripe enough to pick)
Cheers
GPM
FollowupID: 625637

Follow Up By: ross - Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 17:32

Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 17:32
No one likes to see the local fauna get killed,but the longer the pigs are in the area,the more damage they will do.
Eventaully ,the native animlas will be starved or forced out.

You may need to treat this culling as an annual event
FollowupID: 625805

Reply By: Member - Footloose - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 21:08

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 21:08
It seems that you need some help getting rid of them. What about a hunting club that use bows and arrows ? They are keen to use their skills, and would only take the pigs instead of indiscriminately killing the wildlife.
AnswerID: 357549

Reply By: Member - Ron M (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 21:18

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 21:18
GPM
The best way is to go and buy 2 pig dogs , at first you may have to put up with them barking and chasing them , It will not take long for the pigs to wake up and move on .
That is better then getting the RAMBOS in and slaughtering the poor creatures...
Ron.
Ron MACKENZIE

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 357554

Follow Up By: S&N - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 21:40

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 21:40
sorry i may have read this wrong, but "go and buy 2 pig dogs" and "That is better then getting the RAMBOS in and slaughtering the poor creatures" i think you have this back to front. "pig dogs" will attack and try to kill the pigs by mauling them to death, where as a bullet can kill it straight away or at least with a second shot! plus you dogs can also get hurt!

or are you trying to say; get some dogs that will bark and scare them off? i havent done any pig hunting, but when the barking dog doesnt give chase, wont the pig just ignore the barking? also he says he doesnt live there........so who will feed the dogs?(no point in just scaring them off just when you are there, he is worried about the destruction of land)

PROFESSIONAL hunter or "recognised gun/hunting club" would seem the best way to go, poison sounds too indiscriminate.

shannon
FollowupID: 625640

Reply By: Member - Ron M (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 21:59

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 21:59
S&N
Go for it mate , bring the gun toting RAMBOS in and satisfy their lust for killing , The pigs will be back tomorrow , then get the guns in again more slaughter .. the again an again they will return to the feeding ground .. dogs will be a deterrent .
WHY NOT NAPALM THE WHOLE PROPERTY . That will stop the pigs and spoil the RAMBOS lust for blood but .. So go ahead shoot the poor buggers , What happened if one of em had a gun too,,
Would you bring in the dogs then...
Ron MACKENZIE

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 357567

Follow Up By: OzTroopy - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 22:23

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 22:23
" poor buggers " ..... ???????????????

Reminds me of years ago when greenies wanted to get feral asian water buffaloe listed as protected in NT .... pfffffffffffffft

Feral animals are responsible for countless thousands of acres of destroyed areas, destroyed natural habitats, decimated native wildlife and the rest .......

As for the use of dogs .... the number of mongrel bred mauled, bleeding hounds I see chained to the back of utes around my area is pathetic .... not too mention the lost ones adding to the feral dog problem ....... but hey, they are just a working tool eh ??? ....

FollowupID: 625653

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 22:43

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 22:43
Ron,
Your responses are leaving me very confused.

I assume you realise pigs are an introduced feral pest similar to camels, donkeys and goats??

Dogs "will be a deterrent" is cetainly true but do nothing to aid our native wildlife.

In fact the use of introduced species to remove introduced species has never been documented as successful.

I admire your passion but really, neither of your posts on this subject have posed a viable and useful answer.

The only effective answers to pig sized feral species is either poisoning or shooting.

One thing I find fascinating is the average rabid greeny will denounce shooting. Yet the target never hears the shot that kills it! Figure that one.

The other useful bit with shooting is it's targeted, what is aimed at is actually what winds up dead.

In the next sentence they will support poisoning. Has the average greeny seen an animal actually die from 1080 poisoning? It's bloody ugly!

Then there is the bi kill, poison can't disriminate. Anything that eats it winds up dead. Have you ever menioned to a dead possum it doesn't look like a pig?

Oh, to shortcut your next idea. No, I don't own anything remotely useful for shooting nor have I ever owned said equipment.

I'm just a passionate supporter of our native wildlife and any means of helping it survive.

Geoff

Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

FollowupID: 625660

Follow Up By: Member No 1- Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 08:06

Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 08:06
he obviously has no knowledge of what responsible gunowners are about, and has made up his mind...he hates guns

pity some dont go and get educated about them rather than making decisions from reports in the press everytime someone uses one illegally.....

FollowupID: 625691

Follow Up By: Mudripper - Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 09:57

Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 09:57
He's probably been brain-washed by Gun Control Australia.
FollowupID: 625718

Follow Up By: Krakka - Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 11:37

Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 11:37
Ron is one of our "HERO VETERANS" from Vietnam. He has seen all the killing and BAD that guns bring, wawawawawa. Oh stop it Ron, I'm starting to sob, pass me the tissues please. You asked for it. I and all responsible HUNTERS not SHOOTERS, there is a difference Ron, don't appreciate being called RAMBOS. The unwanted name calling started with YOU.

Regards

Krakka
FollowupID: 625750

Follow Up By: Member - Ron M (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 16:39

Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 16:39
Krakka..
Have you been away some place , Your a bit late on this one . I've been waiting for you to poke ya nose in ...
You remind me of a slogan I seen in the USA on a bumper sticker..
It said '' The only way you will take my gun off me will be to prize it from my cold dead hands '' -- Some one wrote beside it .. that
can be arranged pal ''

I really want you to think about that pal
Ron
Ron MACKENZIE

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 625798

Follow Up By: Krakka - Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 21:05

Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 21:05
Ron, You are the one who has been "away some place" on this one. You are reply No. 13, unlucky for some! I was reply No. 2, and I had a joke about being too far from Adelaide to offer assistance personally with my BIG BAD GUNS. As for pokin my nose in, it's a public forum of which I frequent. As for your suggestion of napalm, I actually thought that would be very effective except for the fire bug element that must be lurking within you. I don't have any LUST for blood, I am a hunter not a shooter.
That quote "The only way you will take my gun off me bla bla bla bla bla, That really chilled me to the bone. Anyway looks like we wont agree on any subject to do with firearms, THATS LIFE, PAL.

Krakka
FollowupID: 625838

Reply By: Bushtrek - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 22:43

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 22:43
S,
Where I live we have an ongoing control plan that involves mainly trapping and poisoning.
I have found that dogs are not effective at all in controlling numbers and shooting only moves the pigs onto the neighbours place for a few days to a week then they are back.
I generally put up traps around the tanks and leave them for about 10 days, before they are set.
These get sometimes 3 or 4, and then we set some baits outside the traps using wheat and 1080 buried about 6 inches down and covered with dry grass or hay if we have any.
This makes the buggers dig which gets them all worked up to eat the bait.
I got 8 this afternoon, 2 in traps and 5 dead from baits. Shot one on the road to the house dam chasing one of the chooks.

You go to keep at it otherwise they breed too fast.
AnswerID: 357575

Follow Up By: Saharaman (aka Geepeem) - Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 10:47

Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 10:47
Bushtrek,

How do you dispose of the poisoned ones and is it likely that if a pig dies in an inaccessible area that other wild animals eating the carcass will be affected.
Thanks for your advice.
Cheers
GPM
FollowupID: 625736

Follow Up By: Bushtrek - Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 14:16

Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 14:16
S,
I bury them. There's too much liver fluke and worm in them to do anything else.

Never seen any wild animals eating them or seen any dead dingos, or eagles, or native cats in over 40 years of clearing these out of the place.
My 2 blocks are 8,600 and 12,000 acres, and I get around the place most days, so does my son. Some parts are pretty thick with Cypress but you can smell a rotting carcass from a fair distance so they are not that hard to find.
FollowupID: 625773

Reply By: Member - Lionel A (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 23:03

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 23:03
Sell the place.....lol.

Cheers......Lionel.
AnswerID: 357581

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 23:15

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 23:15
First of all you need......

A pair of binoculars
A jar
Some wild pig fodder
A pair of tweezers

Place wild pig fodder in the scrub
Climb tree nearby
When pigs come for a feed....then
Invert binoculars
Use tweezers to pick up wild pigs and place them in jar
Then climb down and place lid on jar
Take jar and throw in wheeliebin

Problem solved

Hmmmm...... better get off the Port.....LOL

Cheers
AnswerID: 357582

Follow Up By: Member - Malcolm (Townsville) - Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 09:33

Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 09:33
Good one Willem. Good enough to post again on Friday.

Malcolm
living the 'good life'

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 625708

Follow Up By: Mudripper - Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 09:58

Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 09:58
That's just excellent!! LOL
FollowupID: 625719

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 23:21

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 23:21
GPM, we had some about here a few years back and they did a lot of damage. They were easy to trap.

Make a circle of steel mesh, say about 9 metres across and high enough they can't jump out. Don't tie the ends overlapping, but pull them so the ends are going inside parallel so there is a slip way in but they can't get out. Put a trail of feed in through the opening. They didn't even need free feeding to do away with the mob that seemed to total about 30.

When you get them trapped though, you do need to be able to deal with them, that may mean a butcher. Yummm
AnswerID: 357583

Reply By: Flywest - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 23:37

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 23:37
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Inappropriate Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
AnswerID: 357586

Reply By: D200Dug- Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 00:06

Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 00:06
Contact someone like http://www.wildoz.com.au/
there are a few if you google wild meat or game meat Adelaide.

They should know who their suppliers are and what you can do..... legally :-)

Contact your local SSAA branch they will also know some responsible shooters in your area.

AnswerID: 357589

Follow Up By: D200Dug- Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 00:08

Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 00:08
Ooops wrong area ! sorry info stays the same though.

cheers doug
FollowupID: 625674

Reply By: D200Dug- Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 00:11

Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 00:11
Where about is the farm ?

I may know a responsible shooter willing to visit if it is not to far from Brisbane.

If not an arch mesh trap is the easiest solution.
AnswerID: 357591

Follow Up By: Saharaman (aka Geepeem) - Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 07:21

Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 07:21
Hi Doug,

It is 17km west of Caboolture (15 min drive) so about just over an hour from Brisbane CBD. Quite close to civilization really for what it is.

Cheers
GPM

FollowupID: 625684

Follow Up By: D200Dug- Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 11:24

Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 11:24
You can email me at silverimage (at) powerup.com.au if you are interested in some high speed lead poisoning :-)
FollowupID: 625744

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 11:10

Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 11:10
GPM, If Willem's idea doesn't work, my experience is that trapping and responsible poisoning are the only sure ways. Even then, you have to keep at it as others will move in, particularly if there is forest areas nearby or neighbours are not taking control measures.

I grew up at Charters Towers and have family on properties nearby, still. Pigs can be a real problem there as well.

Shooting is a short term measure at best. The advice given above on trapping and poisoning is sound and seems to come from people with real experience. It largely reflects the most successful measures I have seen used.

Good luck.

Norm C
AnswerID: 357642

Reply By: rosgeog - Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 11:19

Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 11:19
Saharaman,
Send me a PM and I can give you contacts for Australian Bowhunters Association clubs in your area. They will have hunters who hold proficiency certificates in the use of their bows that will be only too happy to assist you in your problem. It will be very low impact and quiet.
Ross Geoghegan
AnswerID: 357644

Reply By: huntin - Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 12:50

Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 12:50
Hi, I live near Lismore, have been caretaking a property and culling pigs for 20 years, & am a Sporting Shooters Association of Aust (SSAA) member, which covers public liability insurance. References available. Am looking for a property to hunt on occasionally, and could check on fences, pumps etc at the same time. Email if interested.
Regards,
Craig
AnswerID: 357659

Follow Up By: Saharaman (aka Geepeem) - Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 20:12

Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 20:12
Hi,
I am happy to discuss further but I have some reservations re shooting.
I am not convinced shooting would be effective to get the majority of them .
It is also steep dense vegetation land so they could vanish into the scrub very quickly and not been seen.
Despite any disadvantages I am of the view baiting would be more effective.
However I am happy to discuss with you further.
This is the type of dense vegetation we have - maybe very difficult to hunt in. I am not sure:

Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found

If you email me on
havilahheights@aapt.net.au
I can provide phone contact details to discuss further.
Cheers
GPM

FollowupID: 625830

Reply By: Member - Richard H (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 15:57

Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 15:57
Pigs are very intelligent creatures, and will depart an area once they realise that mum, dad, brother or sister, is no longer around, and that every so often there is a loud noise. Unfortunately, they usually become someone else problem.

Baiting is barbaric as the animal usually dies an horrendous, painful death, similarly those cretins with bows & arrows, will wound and leave the animal to die because they are not capable of catching it and puting it out of it's misery.

Have the things shot cleanly by a responsible, local person who can shoot, has the appropriate licences and uses the correct weapon, and doesn't use poor bloody dogs to do their dirty work!
Local knowledge will usually let you know what they are like.

Just as an adjunct, I'm no 'greeny' but I don't like to see any animal suffer.

Dick
AnswerID: 357681

Reply By: the redbacks - Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 19:56

Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 19:56
hi saharaman,
contact the caboolture clay target club ullman rd.not to far from you .
they could have a cpl of solutions for you.
regards

redback
ssaa & acta member
AnswerID: 357715

Follow Up By: S&N - Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 22:10

Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 22:10
i dont know mate........i think they will be REALLY difficult to load into the clay target throwers! :)
FollowupID: 626181

Sponsored Links