Northern Safari DVD - EO Shop Product Review

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 17:29
ThreadID: 67449 Views:3316 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I recently bought the DVD of Northern Safari from the EO shop.

It certainly puts things into perspective. In the early 1950’s Keith Adams was a keen young adventurer from Perth who set off with his wife and his sister to drive to the Gulf of Carpentaria and back.

Image Could Not Be Found

Today, many members on this Forum gnash their teeth about taking the Great Central Road in their tricked up Landcruisers and Patrols, towing swish campertrailers and caravans with all the comforts of home. Keith took a diesel engine, 2 wheel drive Buick sedan along what was then barely a bush track.

On the Gulf he shot crocodiles (during authorised culling) and skinned them, took his overloaded dinghy out to some islands where he met up with some local Aborigines and recorded them hunting dugong and turtles. I have to say I felt a bit sorry for the poor turtle. You may think twice before showing that part to your kids.

It always amazes me looking through various 4wd and caravan forums how people get really worked up when mention is made of carrying guns. Keith took a couple of rifles and a revolver with him. Aah, those were the days.

I’m halfway through this 2 hour DVD and looking forward to his return journey via the Kimberley.

The DVD is recorded in NTSC format and I couldn’t get it to produce any sound on my DVD player in the lounge but it was OK on my computer. Other NTSC discs play OK on both so it’s a mystery.

Some interesting shots of Perth taken in the 70’s too.

If you are worried whether your 4wd or softroader will make it travelling through this great country then get this DVD and stop worrying. Keith didn’t have 4wd, roadside assistance, satphones, EPIRBs, winches, snatch straps, just a spirit of adventure.
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DickyBeach - Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 18:14

Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 18:14
I haven't seen the DVD yet (it's waiting for me at home and I'm looking forward to watching it) but I've just finished reading his autobiography "Corocodile Safari Man" in which he includes his northern adventures.
A great read and as enjoyable as Tom Cole's "Hell, West & Crooked".
Great reminiscing, I love these "good old days" yarns.

DB
AnswerID: 357703

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Friday, Apr 03, 2009 at 07:02

Friday, Apr 03, 2009 at 07:02
Stephen,
He did have a winch! It just consisted of a couple of logs and a length of rope! I videotaped it off TV many years ago - a real classic.

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 357778

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Friday, Apr 03, 2009 at 09:42

Friday, Apr 03, 2009 at 09:42
Certainly a classic.
And at 80+ Keith Adams is still making an income from that film.
My Dad took me to see it in a local hall in the late 50s.

There is some theatrics with the 'winch' I reccon, but hey, it is all very entertaining.

GO PERKINS DIESELS!

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 MOtorhome
AnswerID: 357814

Sponsored Links