Touchscreen for rear cameras

Submitted: Friday, Apr 03, 2009 at 14:23
ThreadID: 67480 Views:1568 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have been using a Lilliput 8" touchscreen for a few years now for moving map and for rear view cameras.
I have 2 cameras connected when towing the van, which worked very well upto a few months ago. Lately though something has happened to the resolution of the screen. No matter what setting I have for rightness/contrast/hue/saturation etc, I just can't seem to get a clear picture. Also if I adjust the picture for say the caravan camera and then I switch to the vehicle camera - it is all wrong. (ie too bright or too dark)
The cameras I am using are from Sidewinder which give the best picture at dusk or in tunnels!
So my question is - has anyone else had a similar experience? Has the Lilliput screen had its day (although the VGA screen works perfectly). Has the PAL setting got anything to do with it? What should the PAL setting be in anycase?

Lastly - what are the latest touchscreens that are reliable? I checked on ebay and there are some tempting buys out now, but all unrecognisable brands.
Thanks for any feeback.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: beccsptyltd - Friday, Apr 03, 2009 at 16:07

Friday, Apr 03, 2009 at 16:07
Hey pprass, sounds to me like its more a camera fault that anything.. Make sure you are getting 12v to both cameras and no less, as this often stops them displaying brightly. Also make sure they arnt getting too Hot as heat tends to make the cameras very bright. As long as the image is still clear no matter the lightness or darkness i would say the coax cables are still intact so no point persuing down that path, but yeah i would deff recommend checking your voltages.. Is the brightness worse when you have headlights on etc?

Are the cameras wired so they are on with ign? acc? 24/7? I always just power my reverse cameras off the reverse switch with an overide switch so i can turn them on but they arnt on 24/7 to burn them out... etc

Let us know how you go
AnswerID: 357880

Follow Up By: pprass - Friday, Apr 03, 2009 at 16:57

Friday, Apr 03, 2009 at 16:57
Thanks for the lead (no pun intended!) beccsptyltd.

I've got a voltage metre - now to work out how to test them.

I have the cameras wired 24/7 from the second battery.
FollowupID: 625978

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Friday, Apr 03, 2009 at 17:14

Friday, Apr 03, 2009 at 17:14
You should have a switch so you can turn them off as they certainly arent meant to go 24/7. The fastest way to kill them.

Check they havent got condensation in them as that makes them look dark.
If you have it set to PAL it should be OK and the only difference is you cant alter hue as this is only for NTSC (or should be).

Personally I dislike cameras with infra red as they are usually optimized for dark viewing and tend to flare out in bright sunlight.
I have two minicams one from Polaris and one a $24 Ebay version.

Both work fine but despite supposedly being waterproof they sometimes get a little condensation in them and have to be dried out

Put a cover over them to keep the rain off them is the best idea.

Cheers

AnswerID: 357895

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Friday, Apr 03, 2009 at 17:16

Friday, Apr 03, 2009 at 17:16
You should have a switch so you can turn them off as they certainly arent meant to go 24/7. The fastest way to kill them.

Check they havent got condensation in them as that makes them look dark.
If you have it set to PAL it should be OK and the only difference is you cant alter hue as this is only for NTSC (or should be).

Personally I dislike cameras with infra red as they are usually optimized for dark viewing and tend to flare out in bright sunlight.
I have two minicams one from Polaris and one a $24 Ebay version.

Both work fine but despite supposedly being waterproof they sometimes get a little condensation in them and have to be dried out

Put a cover over them to keep the rain off them is the best idea.

Cheers

AnswerID: 357896

Sponsored Links