Croc's on Fraser?

Submitted: Friday, Apr 03, 2009 at 20:29
ThreadID: 67499 Views:2723 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all , I was just talking to a person that claims to have seen a program stating that Croc's have been seen on the sunshine coast and off Fraser Island ,I must say that I did ask this person to repeat what they just said to make sure I heard right ,so has anyone else heard about this or is it just a rumour?

Just curious ...John.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: garrycol - Friday, Apr 03, 2009 at 20:41

Friday, Apr 03, 2009 at 20:41
Yes it is true - there have been a number of sighting in the Fraserarea over the past few months that have been widely reported in the press. In the report you are referring too, the guy caught a 4m croc in a net near a launching ramp. The report went on to say that in years gone by dead crocs have been found as far south as the gold coast.

Garry
AnswerID: 357934

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Friday, Apr 03, 2009 at 23:07

Friday, Apr 03, 2009 at 23:07
The report I saw on A Current Affair covered the Fraser Boat Ramp Croc but mainly was focused on the Grandmother of the 11 yo girl that was recently taken in the NT.
The Grandmother was calling for the re introduction of a culling program as they as now so many in numbers and moving further into built up and areas that the public has somewhat regarded as safe till now?

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 626045

Reply By: Member - Rob S (NSW) - Friday, Apr 03, 2009 at 21:38

Friday, Apr 03, 2009 at 21:38
I copied this from QLD parks Fraser Island.Follow the link below.

The Environmental Protection Agency has received credible reports of an estuarine crocodile around Garry’s Anchorage in the Great Sandy Strait. Visitors are advised to exercise caution throughout the strait and along the west coast of Fraser Island. These measures include:

• Keep a good lookout at all times.

Camp at least 50 metres from the water’s edge.

• Never clean fish or discard fish or food scraps near the water’s edge, campsites or boat ramps.

• Take care when launching or retrieving your boat.

• Avoid entering the water; if fishing stand at least a few metres back from the water’s edge and never stand on logs or branches overhanging the water.

If a crocodile is sighted:

• Immediately ring the EPA Hotline on 1300 130 372.

Boaties and fishers are advised to report any further sightings via the Volunteer Marine Rescue (VMR) marine radio network.

• Do not go near or interfere with the animal.

• Never feed or provoke the animal.

Site Link

I only ever made one mistake
and that's when I thought I was wrong!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 357941

Reply By: troopyman - Friday, Apr 03, 2009 at 22:14

Friday, Apr 03, 2009 at 22:14
Its no rumour . A bloke was cast netting from beside a boat ramp on the western side of fraser . He was in waste deep water and cast a net on top of what he thought was a turtle . Turned out it was a 4 metre crocodile and he said he walked on water .
AnswerID: 357946

Reply By: Member - Dave G (QLD) - Friday, Apr 03, 2009 at 22:56

Friday, Apr 03, 2009 at 22:56
Its no Rumour I was on Fraser last week and can also verify these claims, A ranger pointed out to me tracks where they had been seen leaving the water We were told to watch in a certain area about dusk after waiting about 20mins and a couple of Bundies we saw a head appear in the water line just about 3 meter's off the beach. After a while a 2 to 3 metre crock calmly wades out of the water and walked up the beach area to the site where we had earlier been shown the tracks I guess it must be its regular spot. Its good to see in this area and hopefully they will multiply
Dave
AnswerID: 357949

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Friday, Apr 03, 2009 at 23:03

Friday, Apr 03, 2009 at 23:03
Dave I think thats been the problem.....Multiplying.

After 40 odd years of protection they are now so many in numbers that they are moving south.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 626044

Follow Up By: ross - Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 00:27

Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 00:27
I cant wait to see what happens when crocs start walking out of the water at Double Bay LOL
FollowupID: 626058

Sponsored Links