Canning Stock Route

I have a high clearance turbo troopy. How difficult are the dunes to climb from well 33 on the CSR heading north to Hall's Creek? Any tricky areas we should watch out for along the way? Is there a good run up to the dunes?
Thankyou for any tips
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 13:07

Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 13:07
littei,

The northern end of the CSR is usually a bit harder than the southern end.

I also have a turbo Troopie and I have not had any real problems getting over the dunes. Vehicle set up is very important. However that does not mean that when I go next or when you drive the CSR that it will not be more of a challenge.

Most of the CSR requires a lot of concentration on driving the track so all of it can be tricky.

As far as run ups to the dunes are concerned generally no. The main track normally has a sharp turn at the base of the dune.However over time vehicles have been driven straight back from the dune to make a new straight run at the dunes. This is alright until the vehicle has to drive over the tracks from the main track. You normally have to slow down and then power up the dune.

Wayne
AnswerID: 357998

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 13:11

Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 13:11
And the best advice Wayne gave me prior to my solo CSR last year was:

tye pressure, trye pressure and tyre pressure :-)))
FollowupID: 626106

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 13:13

Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 13:13
mmmm - pity he didnt teach me how to type better :-)))

But I guess you got the idea

TYRE PRESSURES :_)
FollowupID: 626107

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 13:50

Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 13:50
KiwiAngler,

Just as a matter of interest, what tyre pressure do you end up running?

Wayne
FollowupID: 626111

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 15:26

Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 15:26
Gidday Wayne

As you know I carry a bit of gear and had to air down to 18 - 20. I tried the 1st couple of dunes out of Wiluna at the pressures you suggested but it was hard work. Just felt like the Patrol was struggling too much.

By doing that I could slow down a bit on my dune approaches and didnt get knocked around so much when going up the dunes - some of which we really cut up.

At 18 -20 I found I was accelerating up to the crest and then coasting over and then controlled braking down the other side - got quite good at it by the end of the trip :-)))

I am off to the Cape in June (leave Wagga June 6th) and will have my SPOT on if you want to follow me :-))

It would be good to catch up for another beer with you - its been a long time since Birdsville :-)

FollowupID: 626128

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 16:13

Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 16:13
KiwiAngler,

Good to hear that you had a good trip.

The tyre pressure that I suggested was for a Troopie and not a Patrol. :-)) Sorry about that.

I was following you last year on SPOT, up until I had to go and do the Canning myself. Looks like I might miss you again on SPOT, the Canning calls again about the same time as you are heading north.
Have a good trip to the Cape and we are bound to cross paths again soon.

Wayne
FollowupID: 626141

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 16:36

Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 16:36
Wayne

I will listen out for you on the nightly HF skeds

Drive safe mate
FollowupID: 626143

Reply By: PatrolSTL04 - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 02:21

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 02:21
I went with cold 17 in the front and 22 in the rear.

Dunes post no concerns at all.

All the steeper ones have run up trucks, used by those that tow trailers.

You should have no problem at all with appropriate tyre pressures.

Too many people travel in the 30's and hence cause corrugations and have more blowouts.....had to help too many in my trip in July 2008 with blowouts and wrecked shocks.

On corrugations some people try to get on top (tried it once, then decided not go slower), but with so many turns, you will come across evidence of people that have over shot the turns. Keep an eye on shocks not getting too hot...let them cool every now and then, and then you will not need change them like so many speed demons do.

Have fun.
AnswerID: 358110

Reply By: jaxanddross - Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 16:31

Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 16:31
We did it in a Troopie last year in 23 days, and just loved it. That included Helena Springs, Separation Well and ALL Cannings Well's. Slow and steady over the dunes proved to be much more successfull, and we had no damage. We met and saw vehicles that were 'racing' and not only did they "stuff up" their vehicles, but also the dunes! Just "walking" the vehicle up the (approx 880) dunes proved quite easy, with only about 10 being 'tricky'. We had our tyres at 16 front and 20 rear, pounds cold.
AnswerID: 358386

Sponsored Links