King River vs Karunjie Road

Thanks to all who answered my Keep River NP thread a couple of days ago.

As a result from those replies, I've been looking at the options from Wyndham sth to the Gibb River Rd.

My 1:000,000 sheets show a King River Rd 'paralleling' the Gt Northern Hwy from which the Karunjie Rd splits off. (not shown on my raster 1:250k series sheets).

If I was only to do one or the other, which would be the best scenic/do-able option pls?

Cheers.John.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: chook2706 - Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 14:58

Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 14:58
John

I would do the King River Road down to where it splits up and then take the Karunjie Track down to the Gibb. It comes out at the Pentecost Crossing.

Along the way you can have a look at Moochie Dam, some rock art, plus it runs along the edge of the King and Pentecost Rivers. Plenty of croc spotting, good fishing along there. Track doesnt need 4wd, just need the ground clearance. Quite a scenic trip. Takes about 2 - 3 hours, allowing for stopoffs etc.

It is definitely the more scenic of the two, though the King River Road is still a good track to do.

Cheers

Chook
AnswerID: 358009

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 22:14

Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 22:14
Hi Chook

When do you do the King River Road in total? I had intended to go to Wyndham on the King River Road from the GRR. I was told it was closed, and that gates had been locked. On enquiring at Wyndham as to how a station could close a road, i was informed it always was a private station road, never a shire road, and that it had been closed.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 626182

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 15:28

Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 15:28
OK guys, you have me very curious..... According to all maps etc I have, the King River Road starts about 6 k's out of Wyndham, heads roughly south until reaching the dam and the prison tree. King River Rd then swings north west, circles the Cockburn Range before swing south to meet the Pentecost River before meeting theGibb River Rd near the Pentecost River ford.

The other track (un-named on my maps) peters out along the King River heading roughly SSE. My Hemma map, marks it travelling roughly parallel to the King River and rejoins the Gibb River Rd 12 k's SW of Gibb RR/ GNH junction. Is this the Karunjie Rd you are talking about?
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 358014

Follow Up By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 16:11

Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 16:11
Gday Fred, from what I understand of what you've said, the track following the king River onto the GRR is the King River rd, very hard to follow from the prison tree but did it a few years back.The other track going around the Cockburn range and coming out at the penticost river is the Karunjie Rd.
FollowupID: 626138

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 16:12

Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 16:12
Gday John, definately take the Karunjie Rd, very scenic drive.And with the sun hitting the Cockburn ranges, just magic.
AnswerID: 358022

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 17:22

Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 17:22
Hi All,
thanks for the explanations. Obviously the western half of the King River Rd changed names at some point. Have added pic showing ( a very rough) approximation of where the King River Rd rejoins the Gibb RR (thin dotted black line). Have I got it right in the pic?
Image Could Not Be Found
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 358035

Reply By: Member - Kroozer (WA) - Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 18:02

Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 18:02
Yes all correct, the track that follows the King River along is just an old track that linked the Gibb river road to the King road, as it was used when mustering El Questro cattle through the area some years ago. Its pretty beaten up now. The Karunjie road runs from the prison tree along the base of the Cockburns to the Pentecost. Mush of the area is now fenced off and no access is allowed to the river, as it was sold off seperately when Voyages brought El Questro. Fences and gates all over the place and the owner is a real d head. Doesnt stop us from heading out there fishing but he has tried moving us on. Take the Karunjie road but allow at least 3 hours to travel it. Some real rough patches close to Club Mud. Also take the track along the marsh not the high road along the base of the Cockburns much easier and faster. Plus get a better view of the ranges. Much of the film Australia was filmed on that marsh facing the Cockburns. Spent my whole life in that neck of the woods, feel free to ask anything you like.
AnswerID: 358041

Reply By: Sixty at Last - Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 18:50

Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 18:50
Thanks for all the replies and tips guys. Cheers. J.
AnswerID: 358052

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 09:43

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 09:43
Yep - the Karunji was great fun - and interesting - and scenic too :-o) .... in 06, it had a couple of long, deep, white bulldust sections too - but recommended. May be of interest..... couple of pics (should have taken more but) of that track on the Road Surfaces page of my site ........ Darian's Bush Track
AnswerID: 358147

Sponsored Links