Portable battery power setup

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 22:28
ThreadID: 67538 Views:3064 Replies:2 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Just bought a 12/240v compressor fridge/freezer from Re
pco.Badged as "GearUP" on special for $600 from $1050.
sp cs: power input 60w
60w motor, 12v at 5 amps, 240v at 0.25 amps.
compressor: Domus.
In the process of putting together a portable power pack consisting of a 100Ah deep cycle flooded battery.
While in the car (2004 Petrol Pajero) intend to have fridge plugged into power pack that is then plugged into rear lighter socket for charging.A little bit of driving per day,then run fridge and 2 fluro's of pack alone.Most trips consist of 3 days and 2 nights away.
Does this set up sound ok ? any estimates if battery pack will last the trip before being charged on 240v supply once home ?
On a budget so pretty tight on frills and accessories.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Roughasguts - Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 22:39

Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 22:39
Use Anderson plugs for the 12 volt.
That cigarette lighter plug is dangerous, well should I say exspensive when they short out and melt half the wiring under the dash it cost me $800.00 in labour to get the car going again.
AnswerID: 358092

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 07:04

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 07:04
Depends on the wiring. My Subie runs a 40l fridge no problem. But the drawback is that current only flows when the ignition is on.
FollowupID: 626223

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 22:53

Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 22:53
Not wise to use a flooded battery inside a vehicle. It will give off hydrogen which is explosive, especially in a battery box. AGM or Gel would be OK.
AnswerID: 358094

Follow Up By: Top End Explorer Tours - Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 22:59

Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 22:59
My learned friend Crazy Dog taught me that, I was quick to relocate it under the bonnet.

Cheers Steve

FollowupID: 626195

Follow Up By: CrustyJihaad - Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 23:40

Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 23:40
hmmm .. ok .. what if I was to run heavy wire from starter battery to portable pack stowed on trailer ( which is taken along 9 times outa 10 ) for charging and plug fridge into cig soclet .. or perhaps run lead from pack,back into car for fridge. Gas problem solved,but will I suffer voltage drop ?
FollowupID: 626200

Follow Up By: Member - Tony V (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 00:22

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 00:22
Forget using the rear cigi lighter for anything more than just lighting.

With the manufacturers cable size and the length though the wiring loom, you will be pushing to get a solid 3 amps and 12 volts without the wiring heating up.

I have a Gel battery in the rear of my Cruiser (LPG and no under bonnet room) I have 6mm cable/s from the charging battery via a Redarc auto isolator.
Anderson Plug for the rear battery and that pack has the fridge plugged into one of the 3 cigarette outlets.
I also have a 2nd Anderson plug for the camper when needed.

FollowupID: 626208

Follow Up By: RV Powerstream P/L - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 07:24

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 07:24
Hi Tony
Is that cable 6MM cable/s meant as plural or 6MMsquare.

If it is 6MM Auto cable it would be undersized to go to your trailer for "efficient" charging purposes.

Regardless of split type battery system used if you use 50A Anderson Plugs then it is advisable to use the largest cable for them which is 6GGe to minimise voltage drop.

Cigarette plugs and other plugs which are generally a power problem for fridges can be replaced with suitable upgraded wiring and a chassis mount (flush mount) multiple Anderson Power pole outlet that is 30A so you can safely run accessories.

Regards
Ian

FollowupID: 626227

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 08:48

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 08:48
Crusty,
I would rather spend the extra $$ on putting an AGM inside the vehicle than spend the extra $$ on extra wiring, anderson plugs, and a solution which is hotch potch.

I don't know whether you've already bought the battery, but a flooded deep cycle battery in the trailer will take forever to charge, and will need to be topped up on a 3 stage charger to stop it dying early from sulphation.

An AGM inside the vehicle will charge up in half the time, and will be no hassle - your fridge can stay hooked up to it all the time. A Remco 100Ah AGM will cost you $339 from Whitworths - I'm sure there's a lot of similar or better priced alternatives out there too.

Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 626242

Follow Up By: RV Powerstream P/L - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 09:17

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 09:17
Phil
There are two types of flooded wet cell batteries open flooded and sealed flooded and no one has asked which one he meant.

Any battery will charge better in the vehicle due to the shorter cable run that gives less voltage drop.

I would worry about correct cable sizes and connections .

The real benefit in AGM fast charging comes from high recombination low resistance batteries such as Lifeline ,Oddessey,Optima and Decca Sea Mate.

Flooded wet cell sealed batteries will charge as good as most low recombination high resistance AGM batteries in all applications.

Flooded wet cell open batteries will charge faster than most batteries other than high recombination AGM and Gel if the charging voltage is capable of supplying the necessary voltage to charge them.

The higher the voltage the quicker the charge.

Open flooded wet cell batteries should not be used in an enclosed vehicle due to gassing.

Sealed batteries including AGM will gas also in certain circumstances and if they didnt they wouldnt have a vent on them.
Ian

FollowupID: 626244

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 11:17

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 11:17
Gday Ian,
Crusty said "On a budget so pretty tight" so I assumed he wouldn't come at a $600 AGM. I figured a $339 AGM was a better option than a $200 wet cell. I'm sure he'd appreciate your good information.

Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 626269

Follow Up By: CrustyJihaad - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 18:04

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 18:04
Ok .. update .. haven't yet bought a battery becasue a bit of research before hand doesn't hurt and I'm sure a couple more trips with esky's and ice wouldn't kill us while we save up a little more.

The cig plug in car is dodgy at best,so no matter what I need to upgrade the wiring and plug,even for running fridge on it's own.
I think I'll go an AGM battery that will solve the problem of gassing in car and running leads to the trailer suffering charging problems.Can I charge an AGM battery off a standard 240v charger (rated for 100Ah deep cycle battery's) or is there a certain type of charger for this purpose also ?
FollowupID: 626338

Sponsored Links